Separated, Forgot birthday

An attorney will cost an arm and a leg.  
Pay up and forget about it, some battles are not worth fighting.

$165000 - definitely get a lawyer.
$1650 - pay it up and be free of any hassle.
Life is too short.

• Thanks 1

@elaine567's comment summed up my divorce. It wasn't worth the money or emotional load to argue the small stuff, so I just let him have whatever.   Losing a few thousand here or there just wasn't worth the effort 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Wiseman2 said:

Contact your attorney. This is between you and the IRS now,so address that.

I've been audited a few times in my life.  I hired an attorney once.... I wound up paying the IRS and the attorney.   In my experience... it's not worth fighting the IRS, and for $1600.... just write the check, and make it go away.     

With that said... if the debt was in the divorce to be your exW... I would chase her for the money you pay to the IRS. 

• Like 1

As you see, the IRS isn't going to care about a divorce Judge ordering that the debt was hers to pay.  If it was a joint return they will still come after you if she fails to pay.  I would definitely pay it, as soon as possible.

Divorce is unpleasant and both parties usually feel things weren't fair.  If you want peace and to keep the door to her closed, $1650 is worth the price.  It will also serve to remind you how fortunate you are to no longer be legally tied to her.

• Like 2
  • Author
On 10/8/2021 at 3:31 AM, Wiseman2 said:

Contact your attorney. This is between you and the IRS now, so address that.

Actually we were both on the 2015 joint return, so legally we were both responsible. As the the attorney comment. A. I don't have one. And B.   if X=Cost of attorney, Y=outstanding bill and Z = result , then X-Y=Z.  If Z is a negative number, it doesn't make sense mathematically. I know some couples that get divorced both get attorneys and fight endlessly of common items like who gets the dishes, the only people that win in the end are the attorneys who get paid $200 a hour to negotiate what could have been a civil conversation between two parties for free.

I figured I get stuck paying the bill anyway and was all prepared to pay it, but i didn't have the money in February 2021, I just used used my yearly 9k bonus to pay off my SUV, so I had to wait until March to get together the cash.  I created an account with the IRS when I was first dealing with all this in January.  I was all set to pay it in full, but when checked the balance online, it was now down to $350, it appeared she paid it, or at least most of it anyway. I sent the IRS a check for $350 and kept checking online to see when the balance said zero, which it did. I ended up getting a over payment check for $270 form the IRS, which I thought was funny because it's in both our names.  It's a check I can't legally cash without both parties signatures on the check and deposited in a joint account.  No joint account exists anymore and I be damned if I'm gonna contact her and ask her to sign it.  I toyed with the idea of forging her name and see if a check cashing place would cash it, but i don't think it's worth the risk, no matter how minimal it is for a few hundred $.  I might frame it and put in on my office wall. :)         

Edited by AngryGromit
1 minute ago, AngryGromit said:

I created an account with them and checked the balance online, it was now down to $350, it appeared she paid it, or at least most of it anyway. I sent the IRS a check for $350.I ended up getting a over payment check for $270 form the IRS, which I thought was funny because it's in both our names.     I toyed with the idea of forging her name and see if a check cashing place would cash it, but i don't think it's worth the risk, no matter how minimal it is for a few hundred $.           

Excellent. Yes the IRS is not your friend when you owe. Yeah, forgery is a felony so skip that.