Season's Greetings

This may be a little late, but I still think it’s an important perspective, particularly as New Year’s is still ahead.

When I was single or broken-hearted, the holidays were always sad and wistful. I would see couples and just imagine what a wonderful, magical holiday they must be having. I could practically hear the Christmas carols ringing... .

Here’s the reality. I am very happily married and I have been given much more than my fair share in this world. But guess what? The holidays aren’t some magic flipping Christmas special at my house. I still got needles all through the rug that I had to pick out by hand. We went to my in-laws for the holidays and while they are wonderful people, most of the Day was spent indoors watching TV. In the end, Christmas Day was not a letdown this year because I just

Didn’t have any expectations. Had I had them, it would have been a letdown.

I don’t say this to be ungrateful or miserable. I am truly a happy person. But, I spent a lot of years being lonely at the holidays - I was a single girl for a long time - and I always felt I was missing out during the holidays. Please don’t feel that way. You are not missing out! Very rarely do any of us get those Hallmark movie Christmases and when someone we love does, we should all celebrate and be happy for them. In the meantime, the rest of us are really truly in the same boat.

I hope this gives those who need it a little perspective. If someone would have told me this back in my single days, it would have made those days just a

Little easier.

Hugs and Happy New Year,

GG

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to add something to this thread. Just discovered there is an app called Cold Turkey that will let you block sites for a period of time. I think I may try it. Blocking a person never worked for me because it's just too easy to get around it. But if I can be forced to stay off of certain social media sites... may help...