Dating a Bipolar girl, any experiences?

I haven't read the entire thread, OP, but did want to offer my two cents for you.

I have been with a bipolar man for over ten years. It's been a tough run. You are right to be cautious, and you definitely need to go into that prepared. You need to assess what kind of person you are and how you will deal with any of the diagnosis-related difficulties that may come your way. Will you find a way to cope and not lose yourself, or will you become a caretaker? Those are not the two only options, but if you love someone, it's difficult to not become invested in their progress, when they are down. Mental illness is a difficult long road for both parties. You can certainly make it to whatever your destination is, but it will take a lot of effort.

• Like 1
I haven't read the entire thread, OP, but did want to offer my two cents for you.

I have been with a bipolar man for over ten years. It's been a tough run. You are right to be cautious, and you definitely need to go into that prepared. You need to assess what kind of person you are and how you will deal with any of the diagnosis-related difficulties that may come your way. Will you find a way to cope and not lose yourself, or will you become a caretaker? Those are not the two only options, but if you love someone, it's difficult to not become invested in their progress, when they are down. Mental illness is a difficult long road for both parties. You can certainly make it to whatever your destination is, but it will take a lot of effort.

bipolar people see the world in a different perspective and they have a lot to offer

mortensorchid

I never dated anyone who has/had BP1 or BP2 (there is a difference). I had two former women friends who were bipolar and, quite honestly, classic examples of behavioral problems. Both of them were obese, alcoholic / drug addict, and had a certain quality about them that they used. Both of them were short girls - when you're short as a woman you can use it to your advantage. Some men can use their shortness as an advantage as "being cute", but not all. And neither one of them were beautiful, bit they had a certain cuteness in their faces. And they knew from the time they were little kids that cute little girls who give out cute little smiles get the things they want from others. One minute they were all smiles and happiness - the next they were having explosions. And after they had taken advantage of me and others, and when they had given me attitude for the last time I said "no more" and I washed my hands of both of them.

Don't let this happen to you.

• Like 1
you can only hide a major mental illness for so long

True but look at Mittens above. Apparently, she hid it from her ex-husband for 20 years (which I find highly doubtful).

bipolar people see the world in a different perspective and they have a lot to offer

I don't disagree at all and appreciate the point you are making. However, the perspective argument can be applied to anyone - every single person sees the world in their own light and has something unique to offer. Some of these people are also not bringing mental issues to the relationship. It's all about how much one is prepared and willing to live/work/deal with.

• Like 1

I'd recommend doing research on the common symptoms that can occur with bipolar 1 and then talk to her about it to whatever extent she is comfortable. Ask her how long she's been on this combination of medications and how it's worked for her. Also ask her what her manic and depressive periods tend to look like.

There are risks during manic episodes that vary from person to person (such as emptying a bank account and uncontrolled shopping and spending, infidelity and risky sexual behavior, suicide attempts) and drug and alcohol abuse aggravate the condition, especially if mixed with the prescribed medication.

But to the other posters' points here, there are different levels of severity, and if you know what symptoms to look out for and possibly mitigate, plus she's taking her medication, you may find it works well enough for you and you can tolerate the bad times

But it depends on knowing yourself and your limits, knowing how much stability you will want and need from a life partner both for you alone and later on if you have a family and kids, and considering all that against how her version of the condition tends to manifest.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Paragraphs
  • Like 1