Coworker with 'flexible' hours

Resorting to unethical behaviors to slack off work is very different than having flexible time in the office. That’s why I was sarcastic in the OP.

Again - we’re talking about someone sneaking out with absurd excuses and also someone with zero life responsibilities to justify somehow such behavior.

I guess I’m relationship context it will translate to ‘I b*ng my wifey’s friends when I feel like it but why should she care when she can’t see it and I’m also f*cking her regularly (‘getting the job done’)’

That analogy is a huge stretch, because the reason people get into monogamous relationships isn't usually JUST to get fcked regularly - monogamy in and of itself is one of the expected results. On the other hand, the reason anyone would hire an analyst IS solely to get the job done. Whether she sits at her desk 45 hrs a week or 30, why would it matter if she's producing good results? It sounds like the only reason you want her to be there is so that you don't feel jealous about having to be there yourself, which isn't really a great reason.

A better analogy in the relationships/sex department would be someone masturbating while in a relationship. Harmful if it negatively impacts their partnered sex life, harmless otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Author

@d0n: I don’t think she is particularly productive but she’s very sleazy so she may have convinced someone she is. In any case - I shared it because I’m mind boggled that a young woman with zero responsibilities in life is comfortable enough slacking. At her age I’d rather die than underperform at work but I guess she’s not entirely morally driven to put it mildly.

@els: we can agree to disagree. Let say the particular example just shows how under-committed people can be to their work place and I’m certain this is an ethical characteristics that spreads to any other aspect in life (I’d personally be guilt tripping for months if I make a fake excuse to get out of work, or cheat, or any other unethical behavior so seeing others that are not that way just makes my mind spin round and round. Especially at the tender age of 25 in which most people are as idealistic as they’ll ever be...

Resorting to unethical behaviors to slack off work is very different than having flexible time in the office. That’s why I was sarcastic in the OP.

Again - we’re talking about someone sneaking out with absurd excuses and also someone with zero life responsibilities to justify somehow such behavior.

This really sounds like jealousy.

I get calls late at night when I am in the middle of things...once took on fixing an issue over the phone form the beach on vacation where I was asked to mute my phone because the ocean was too loud. The people that clock out at 5pm and have never even considered for 10 seconds taking a call or responding after 5, still do a good job and make it work. I figured I am the one that could help resolve it quickly, it wasn't then end of the world that it cut into my vacation, so it was my responsibility to handle it. I don't spite the other employees that wouldn't because "they are on vacation" or "busy" and hold it against them because they did not prioritize an issue over something personal like I would.

You saying her excuses aren't plausible to you are irrelevant. They don't have to be and if it is not affecting your performance directly, it is none of your business. For that matter, you don't even know if her reasons are legit or not. Maybe she has a disease or sickness and has appointments every week. When she says she has to wait for the plumber, maybe she is getting a treatment management knows about and she doesn't want co-workers know her medical issues.

Really it is just a matter of you questioning her priorities but if her employer is fine with it, it's not for you to worry about. In a way it sounds like working with a single mother or someone with kids. You can be told you have to work 85 hours a week for the next 6 months no matter what, have to reschedule a surgery and reschedule a vacation planned for a year, but those with kids are like, "I have to leave by 3:30pm to pick up my 16 year old from his school that's 1 block away from home" and management will be like, "Of course. Do you want to leave at 2:30pm?".

It is what it is. I stay out of other people's business.

• Like 4

I get calls late at night when I am in the middle of things...once took on fixing an issue over the phone form the beach on vacation where I was asked to mute my phone because the ocean was too loud. The people that clock out at 5pm and have never even considered for 10 seconds taking a call or responding after 5, still do a good job and make it work. I figured I am the one that could help resolve it quickly, it wasn't then end of the world that it cut into my vacation, so it was my responsibility to handle it. I don't spite the other employees that wouldn't because "they are on vacation" or "busy" and hold it against them because they did not prioritize an issue over something personal like I would.

You saying her excuses aren't plausible to you are irrelevant. They don't have to be and if it is not affecting your performance directly, it is none of your business. For that matter, you don't even know if her reasons are legit or not. Maybe she has a disease or sickness and has appointments every week. When she says she has to wait for the plumber, maybe she is getting a treatment management knows about and she doesn't want co-workers know her medical issues.

Really it is just a matter of you questioning her priorities but if her employer is fine with it, it's not for you to worry about. In a way it sounds like working with a single mother or someone with kids. You can be told you have to work 85 hours a week for the next 6 months no matter what, have to reschedule a surgery and reschedule a vacation planned for a year, but those with kids are like, "I have to leave by 3:30pm to pick up my 16 year old from his school that's 1 block away from home" and management will be like, "Of course. Do you want to leave at 2:30pm?".

Right. I mean, basically, unless there's hanky panky going on, if she was under-producing in a typical corporate environment she would swiftly find herself without employment anyway. If she's still around, chances are she's doing just fine.

100% agree.

You are making assumptions that her reasons are not legit.

I have done flexible hours before for a variety of reasons - sometimes I'm happy to explain to the general public what is going on and sometimes there is one person and one person only who knows - my boss.

Sometimes I don't need nor want all and sundry knowing my business because it leads to all kinds of intrusive questions.

Unless you have access to her work/home phone use or log in times of a work based laptop you don't know she isn't working at times when she is not there.

The crux is, as many folk have said - does it affect your work directly?

If it doesn't then what hours she does is simply none of your business.

If she is shirking then management and HR have a process to follow to address it which involves monitoring. This is not an instant process and there's protocol to follow by company policy and in legal terms also.

You have noticed her hours so you can be sure others have. If there is an actual issue here it will be addressed - maybe not as quickly as you would like but it will be addressed.

• 2 weeks later...

Clearly you dont like this co-worker. The language you use to define her tells us this. That is OK BTW, not everyone needs to like each other. The original post as well as follow up comments really do ring of jealousy more than anything else.

You admittedly dont have any real FACTS on what arrangements your co-worker has, or doesn't have, with management, you just FEEL slighted that this younger woman is getting away with what you cant. The company you work for is not in the business of managing peoples feelings. They are in the business of making money at whatever it is that they do. What they need is for people to focus on their own work and do it to the best of their ability.

Now, it's a different story if you have to pick up her slack. Then, I believe that you have factual reason to gripe. If you were doing part of the work she is being paid to do, then you need to be compensated for it. If you, or the others in the office, have to add her work to your workload, then there is a vehicle for you to point out her lackadaisical work ethic. Simply don't do it. Let it become management's issue to fix. You cant do your work and her overload, just do yours and let the other stuff sit. Sooner, rather than later, the issue will come to the surface and it will have to be addressed more formally. Sure, that is passive aggressive at it's finest, but it will get the issue addressed.

It sure sucks to be paid the same as others that cant or wont put in the same effort!

major_merrick
Is there a gentle way to nudge her? I don't want to be mean and report her to management yet,.

In short, NO. Gentle doesn't work. Either get used to it, or get nasty. Management obviously already knows about it, or she wouldn't be getting away with it. It means she might be someone's favorite. So... you've either got to put up with it or find a way to "un-favorite" her. Are you prepared to take that step?

• Author

I think I'll just let it be.

The naked truth is she's most likely paid significantly less than most of the other people working on the same position with us, and the management tends to favorite these (young, low-salaried) guys and even 'promote' them. That's how they get retention of young, unexperienced and underpaid people and everyone is happy. Bleh :sick:.

• Like 1
I think I'll just let it be.

The naked truth is she's most likely paid significantly less than most of the other people working on the same position with us, and the management tends to favorite these (young, low-salaried) guys and even 'promote' them. That's how they get retention of young, unexperienced and underpaid people and everyone is happy. Bleh :sick:.

I think that is the best attitude to have. If it starts to bother you to where you can't overlook it, that should be your indicator to look for another job. You might be surprised how other companies operate differently and actually value quality experienced employees.

If I was in an environment like that and felt they valued employees first on what they paid them and second on their actual value to the company, I personally wouldn't want to be there very long. But as long as I felt valued appropriately, even if some seemed to be "over-valued", I wouldn't care too much about that.

• Like 1