Anyone tried the Keto Diet?

Cookiesandough

I doubt I will ever be able to gain weight. My parents have been thin their entire lives . . My mom is late 60s and she's a twig . Bulking with fat and muscle is different though I thought? If it were fat it would be soft and flabby, not firm. Perhaps I'm wrong, but that's the impression I get. Maybe it's just preference, but I like toned, athletic bodies. Best example I can give is Britney Spears body in slave 4 u era ish. Bulking with muscle:https://i.pinimg.com/736x/1f/45/17/1f4517caea83ac5080ea437279aeb8a8--vma-music-awards.jpg Bulking with fat: http://www.tomdoyletalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/britney-spears-mtv-music-aw.jpg She was a dancer, but had to have done weight training too. I don't know.

Might as well try it to see the results and if I like it that way. I can always go back to being a sedentary bump on a log and go back down quickly. My main problem is worry I am doing something bad for my health by taken in excessive calories/nutrition . Agh

Edited by Cookiesandough
GunslingerRoland

I don't know under which circumstances acetone passes as a healthy substance... I'm not against keto for people wanting fast results, although eating a pint of icecream (and nothing else) per day will give exactly the same results (caloric restriction > weight loss)

Keto doesn't work simply because of caloric restriction though, it works because it changes the way the body processes food. That is why it has other medical effects too, such as reducing seizures.

• Like 1

Keep at it. To me, and presumably most other guys who work out and make an effort to stay in shape, there is a whole world of difference between a girl who is just slim and one who works out. The upper body might be harder for girls to build any muscle on, but the tone & firmness on legs & bum will be noticed.

• Like 1

You can bulk up if that's your goal regardless of the genetics. It will just be slower.

Britney I think is just much thinner on picture 1. On picture 2 though, albeit a little chubbier, you still see the muscle bulking her tights.... Just... the limbs are not as thin and dainty as I'd personally like them on a woman.

Of course it is a personal preference what you like, anything within the healthy norm is good if you like it. I also don't enjoy too much muscle on a man as well (I can tolerate it if it's there but would rather be with someone with more lean look), but many women do.

I doubt I will ever be able to gain weight. My parents have been thin their entire lives . . My mom is late 60s and she's a twig . Bulking with fat and muscle is different though I thought? If it were fat it would be soft and flabby, not firm. Perhaps I'm wrong, but that's the impression I get. Maybe it's just preference, but I like toned, athletic bodies. Best example I can give is Britney Spears body in slave 4 u era ish. Bulking with muscle:https://i.pinimg.com/736x/1f/45/17/1f4517caea83ac5080ea437279aeb8a8--vma-music-awards.jpg Bulking with fat: http://www.tomdoyletalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/britney-spears-mtv-music-aw.jpg She was a dancer, but had to have done weight training too. I don't know.

Might as well try it to see the results and if I like it that way. I can always go back to being a sedentary bump on a log and go back down quickly. My main problem is worry I am doing something bad for my health by taken in excessive calories/nutrition . Agh

• Like 1
Keto doesn't work simply because of caloric restriction though, it works because it changes the way the body processes food. That is why it has other medical effects too, such as reducing seizures.

Sure, it was developed for epileptic patients.

However, it is still very controversial. People try to make a distinction between ketosis and ketoacidosis..... The difference is just in the quantities. Nobody doubts ketones are toxic, yeah we can argue about concentrations, but I personally I can't justify the risk for vanity.

For epileptic or morbidly obese patients is obviously different because there the benefits are bigger than the risks.

• Like 3
I feel like anyone can be just thin with some effort. I more admire bodies that look like they've worked out. Toned and a little thicker and shapely is my goal. What do you mean permantly lose? I think any gains you get will go away once you stop binge eating at least that's been my experience?

I guess we want what we can't have.

People have different body types. No one in my family is thin, besides my sister who has constantly struggled with eating disorders and exercise addiction.

My brother competes in triathlons, watches what he eats, yet is far from "thin".

I have to eat 1200 calories a day, and run 3 miles a day to maintain my "thick" (far from thin) build. If I don't keep up that routine the pounds pack on very quickly.

I have never been thin. Not as a very active kid, not as a teenager who did sports, not as a 20 something.

Meanwhile adding muscle is incredibly easy for me. I had to lay off cycling as I was getting "frog legs". My thighs bulk up, I get crazy definition in my calves. I have a thick ass and legs from stair climbing, no lifting needed.

I avoid upper body work because my arms bulk up very quickly.

I am naturally very strong (seriously my male co-workers come to open jars or move copy machines!), But I am not naturally thin.

• Like 1
  • Author

After a week on keto I had to carve it a little more toward Atkins. The high fat was hard to keep up with, it would cause me indigestion so I found myself not eating dinner just so I would not experience indigestion at bed time. After 2 weeks I am down 11,5 lbs :-) My goal was to lose 15 by xmas so I think I will succeed.

I still feel great! I don't fight hunger at all. I don't have munchies and no craving sugar. I have lost weight in other more traditional ways before like counting calories but it's a constant battle against hunger so very hard to sustain for 2-3 months.

I have also notice that since I have been avoiding carbs I don't suffer from arthosis pain ! (arthrosis in hips) It's known that anything sugar causes inflamation so it's nice to get a rest from that pain.

• Like 2

Small wrists and ankles don't get larger when you're bulking (unless you're working those areas); I'm proof. You don't put on muscle in places you aren't training. The entire point of lean gains is to direct muscle development towards the areas in question. If you do heavy deadlifts and squats three times a week for five years, people will be able to tell. You don't even have to try. I did functional fitness training and Olympic weight lifting for four years---zero focus on appearance---and I went from an unexceptional scrawny shrimp to a woman who regularly gets compliments on her arms and butt (even if I'm still shrimp-sized). I get stopped in the street asking about my routine or if I do fitness modeling.

Genetics will dictate a lot about your body, but you can indeed create a figure for yourself. It's just not going to be anywhere near as dramatic as Pinterest would have you believe. When I got engaged I looked at myself in the mirror and decided I was very happy with my body but for my hip dips. It took about six months before I saw a noticeable difference, and a full year to feel satisfied with my results. There were no shortcuts, just repetitive training, day in and day out.

• Like 1

The point of mentioning ankles and wrists is precisely that you can't bulk them. There's no muscle there, and wrist/ankle circumference are an excellent general indicator of your natural frame size. Your natural frame size is in turn an excellent indicator of your maximum potential for muscular gain. The smaller your frame, the harder the gains will come and the sooner they'll stop.

• Like 3
The point of mentioning ankles and wrists is precisely that you can't bulk them. There's no muscle there, and wrist/ankle circumference are an excellent general indicator of your natural frame size. Your natural frame size is in turn an excellent indicator of your maximum potential for muscular gain. The smaller your frame, the harder the gains will come and the sooner they'll stop.

I was just trying to say the feminine look culminating in thin ankles and wrists is lost when bulking up. Otherwise valid point there is not much to bulk in that areas.

• Like 1

Did you put up a lot of weight after you started deadlifting regularly? (I know muscle weight distributes very differently than fat, asking overall). I was told to do more reps with small weights to avoid bulking but I’m still scared to get into it.

I guess it’s cultural but I avoid work outs that will produce any visible bulk especially in the arms and the legs... Although I can see the ‘thick’ look is very trendy right now, at least in the US.

All in all weight & muscle composition changes can improve the looks but sadly, there is a huge genetic component (bone structure etc).

Small wrists and ankles don't get larger when you're bulking (unless you're working those areas); I'm proof. You don't put on muscle in places you aren't training. The entire point of lean gains is to direct muscle development towards the areas in question. If you do heavy deadlifts and squats three times a week for five years, people will be able to tell. You don't even have to try. I did functional fitness training and Olympic weight lifting for four years---zero focus on appearance---and I went from an unexceptional scrawny shrimp to a woman who regularly gets compliments on her arms and butt (even if I'm still shrimp-sized). I get stopped in the street asking about my routine or if I do fitness modeling.

Genetics will dictate a lot about your body, but you can indeed create a figure for yourself. It's just not going to be anywhere near as dramatic as Pinterest would have you believe. When I got engaged I looked at myself in the mirror and decided I was very happy with my body but for my hip dips. It took about six months before I saw a noticeable difference, and a full year to feel satisfied with my results. There were no shortcuts, just repetitive training, day in and day out.

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear
Did you put up a lot of weight after you started deadlifting regularly? (I know muscle weight distributes very differently than fat, asking overall). I was told to do more reps with small weights to avoid bulking but I’m still scared to get into it.

I guess it’s cultural but I avoid work outs that will produce any visible bulk especially in the arms and the legs... Although I can see the ‘thick’ look is very trendy right now, at least in the US.

All in all weight & muscle composition changes can improve the looks but sadly, there is a huge genetic component (bone structure etc).

Women saying they avoid weight training for fear of becoming too bulky, is about as logical as me saying I avoid going in my backyard for fear of being eaten by a Tyrannosaurus Rex...

This is a woman with a rare mesomorph body and great genetics, and for all I know she may even be juicing(cheating with a bit of testosterone injections)...Do I think she looks "bad" or "too bulky"?? Nope!!;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy691swIrNI

97% of women won't get anywhere near her type of body, even if they powerlifted for hours a day...

Doing high repetition/low weights are fine, but you get nowhere without actually "breaking down" the muscle group training...Watching people do tiny weights for easy 10-15 reps without breaking a sweat would be like expecting to get huge quads by walking across the room...

The "thick" look you are referring to, usually has nothing to do with muscle...Its just fat...That's easy to accomplish...lol

Bottom line?? Don't be afraid to train somewhat heavier and utilize compound movements...You won't get too bulky...;)

TFY

Edited by thefooloftheyear
  • Like 5
CautiouslyOptimistic
Women saying they avoid weight training for fear of becoming too bulky, is about as logical as me saying I avoid going in my backyard for fear of being eaten by a Tyrannosaurus Rex...

This is a woman with a rare mesomorph body and great genetics, and for all I know she may even be juicing(cheating with a bit of testosterone injections)...Do I think she looks "bad" or "too bulky"?? Nope!!;)

97% of women won't get anywhere near her type of body, even if they powerlifted for hours a day...

Doing high repetition/low weights are fine, but you get nowhere without actually "breaking down" the muscle group training...Watching people do tiny weights for easy 10-15 reps without breaking a sweat would be like expecting to get huge quads by walking across the room...

The "thick" look you are referring to, usually has nothing to do with muscle...Its just fat...That's easy to accomplish...lol

Bottom line?? Don't be afraid to train somewhat heavier and utilize compound movements...You won't get too bulky...;)

TFY

TFY, have I asked you before about your advice for a basic/cheap weight set for home that includes "heavy" weights for a woman?

• Like 1

TFY you're right the woman in the video is probably supplementing with testosterone (sans the big silicone boobs she has pretty masculine look), and that won't happen with light training (or possibly any training).

I was more referring to women like Jen Aniston - not fat by any means, but thick looking arms and legs. Maybe it's also genetics more that overdoing the weights...

IDK, I may grow to enjoy more muscular look. It is so prevalent right now I couldn't even find a good example for the look I was referring to in current 'celebrities'.

TFY

• Like 1
Cookiesandough

Wow I never thought of it like it that... I went to look at Jamie Eason's wrists lol. I'm not that fond of being that built but I've always admired her ability. Her wrists are huge. Hard to believe she genetically has wrists that thick. And she goes around saying it's easy to build muscle if you stick at it you can become like her...but if her wrists are any indication it's her genetics!!!

What happens when I lift is I lose all the fat in that particular area(so it becomes more 'toned') and gain a little muscle. But I actually shrink in that area because a lot of the fat is gone!!! This happens in about a week max. I usually freak out and stop there because I'm getting the opposite of what I want (shrinking). I wonder what I'm doing wrong. Maybe not enough food? Maybe Weights aren't heavy enough(hard to imagine) Maybe I need to keep pushing through the shrinkage to get to the build part

Edited by Cookiesandough
Cookiesandough

TFY

strong wrists :(

No, I didn't put on much weight at all. I don't remember how much I weighed when I started, probably closer to 115? Now I'm at 110 but my body fat is about 15% (versus 20% when I started).

Andy is correct when he says wrist and ankle circumference don't really change no matter what you're doing. The cultural myth of lifting heavy weights and suddenly becoming enormous He-Men drives me up the wall! It literally doesn't happen! You cannot hulk out unless you're making it your life's work. The women you see in bodybuilding shows are taking supplements and injections and all kinds of crazy sh-t that normal people don't touch. As the meme goes, "Weights don't make you huge, cupcakes make you huge."

Weight training is one of the best forms of exercise. It builds strength and improves everything from posture to bone health. Other effects---being able to lug heavy stuff around the house, and making your partner say "damn!" when you wear yoga pants---are just nice bonuses.

• Like 3
What happens when I lift is I lose all the fat in that particular area(so it becomes more 'toned') and gain a little muscle. But I actually shrink in that area because a lot of the fat is gone!!! This happens in about a week max.

You're not going to see any serious body composition changes inside of a week, so this is most likely water loss. The more you exercise, the more you need to keep hydrated. Are you taking in enough water? Fat cells are largely composed of water, so becoming dehydrated is a quick and dirty way to make it appear as though you've lost some fat. The downside of course is that your body (and muscles in particular) won't function as effectively without enough water. You'll find it harder to work out, and it'll be harder for your body to repair (and hence build) your muscles up.

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Author

I am happy to report I have reached my goal and lost 16-lbs :-)

At 14-lbs lost I got a plateau that lasted almost 3 weeks! I am experienced enough to know it's a make-it or break-il moment and it's important to push through it. I continued my regime and finally dropped 2-lbs this week.

Now my goal is to re-introduce carbs but at a very slow pace. My first pick are squashes and legumes a tiny bit every day.

I feel amazing when I don't touch sugar!

• Like 3

At 14-lbs lost I got a plateau that lasted almost 3 weeks! I am experienced enough to know it's a make-it or break-il moment and it's important to push through it. I continued my regime and finally dropped 2-lbs this week.

Now my goal is to re-introduce carbs but at a very slow pace. My first pick are squashes and legumes a tiny bit every day.

Congratulations, Gaeta! That's so amazing!

I have a huge sweet tooth and figured I could never give up sugar, but once I made it past the first week or so I noticed I was significantly less irritable, depressed, and slept so much better. Giving up sugar is easy when you realize how much better you feel without it!

• Like 1

Well done Gaeta! :)

If you have been doing Keto and are now introducing carbs I would suggest now is a great time to learn the hungry & full feelings - unless you have already been doing that.

I would also suggest eating your protein first in the main and seeing how full you feel, remember carbs make you feel full but for a shorter period of time than protein does (remember my pizza story above).

If you have got the knack of feeling full and properly hungry it's a life changer and you will likely find you never need to 'diet' again.

I go up and down by 5-7lbs maximum (but it happens maybe once or twice a year or couple of years only that I reach that 7lb maximum) and sometimes I still overeat but I now naturally compensate by not eating as much the next day. It's become a subconscious thing which I don't even think about anymore.

• Like 1
PhillyLibertyBelle

Well done Gaeta. I am joining in with you on the Keto diet. I’ve done my research and am starting tomorrow. Thanks for sharing your experience.

• Like 1