age of consent

Because laws aren't always made for the right reasons. Look at all of the places that have ridiculous sex laws on the books.

If you make the law 18 that is fine, but then you are going to have teenagers having sex regardless of the law just like you have teenagers drinking.

Except getting charged with under aged drinking is a misdemeanor I believe, whereas statutory rape is a sex crime that can ruin someones life.

See, I don't see that we make laws because we think everyone will follow them. Did we make 70 mph the speed limit on the interstate because we really believed everyone would drive 70 or under? No. We arrived at a standard that we thought would generally keep the most people safe.

Yeah, there are all kinds of dumb laws on the books. But I haven't really met anyone who won with the whole "dumb law made for the wrong reason" defense. If you are 21, and you know the age of consent in your state is 17...don't have sex with a 15 year old.

It's not rocket science. It doesn't make anyone a pedophile, but it does make them kinda dumb and careless.

somanymistakes

I've done my research and seen many different numbers, rarely 18.

I'm curious what specific research you are referring to.

Thus, why I asked.

I've done my research and seen many different numbers, rarely 18.

I'm curious what specific research you are referring to.

Thus, why I asked.

The part of the brain in charge of decision making is fully developed when you are 18 years old. Anyone who has sex with a person who is below that age is kind of taking advantage of it.

But, if you're asking for sources, I don't feel like searching those right now to be honest.

GunslingerRoland
See, I don't see that we make laws because we think everyone will follow them. Did we make 70 mph the speed limit on the interstate because we really believed everyone would drive 70 or under? No. We arrived at a standard that we thought would generally keep the most people safe.

Yeah, there are all kinds of dumb laws on the books. But I haven't really met anyone who won with the whole "dumb law made for the wrong reason" defense. If you are 21, and you know the age of consent in your state is 17...don't have sex with a 15 year old.

I agree, and like I said they have to set the law somewhere. And yes it's everyone's responsibility to follow the law.

But again, part of the reason why it's an important topic, is that this isn't about a traffic law, or a misdemeanor.

If we are saying that 16 year old's brains aren't fully developed, but we'll send them to jail and mark them for life if they have sex with a 15 year old, clearly these laws need some thought.

LOL that made me laugh out loud. Good lord, detect her own ovulation???

That is just about the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

Why it is ridiculous knabe? If all girls at 12 or so learn to recognize ovulation (as simple as 5 sec check of their cervical mucus and cervix position/firmness), the rate of abortions will go down, the emotional consequences of pregnancy scares will go down, women will take less contraceptives with side effects...

All this from something as simple as being body-aware.

I'm a lot older than 18 and I have no idea what you're talking about.

I think the natural fertility awareness methods (cervical mucus, basal temperature etc) should be in school and explained to pre-teens. Something that can be presented in 20 min lesson can literally save lives - reduce abortions, reduce the number of girls put on hormonal contraception (NOT harmless) etc.

I also think kids should be educated to understand the mechanics of orgasmic response (encouraged to masturbate first, years before thinking about partnered sex), which of course will never be accepted in schools and therefore we have 'lovely' consequences: anorgasmic women, men with premature ejaculation etc.

MuddyFootprints
Why it is ridiculous knabe? If all girls at 12 or so learn to recognize ovulation (as simple as 5 sec check of their cervical mucus and cervix position/firmness), the rate of abortions will go down, the emotional consequences of pregnancy scares will go down, women will take less contraceptives with side effects...

Body awareness at 12 is trying to get accustomed to using a tampon and finally understanding they don't pee out of their vagina.

• Like 3
GunslingerRoland

Sorry I'm not on board with that at all. If teenagers are having sex, I'm hoping it is with protection such as a condom. Not self monitoring their own ovulation, which is something most adult women can never learn to do correctly.

Body awareness at 12 is trying to get accustomed to using a tampon and finally understanding they don't pee out of their vagina.

finally understanding they don't pee out of their vagina - it's really disturbing if girls learn that in middle school. Especially with the statistics that kids start having sex at their teens.

I personally didn't have sex until much much later in life, but yet at 12 I can say with certainty I was fully aware of my anatomy and physiology.

Sorry I'm not on board with that at all. If teenagers are having sex, I'm hoping it is with protection such as a condom. Not self monitoring their own ovulation, which is something most adult women can never learn to do correctly.

I think one does not exclude the other.

It boggles my mind why anyone will think sex is appropriate for someone (teen or adult) who is unaware of their sexual anatomy/physiology - even if it is just for the sake of early detection if things go wrong...

• Like 1
GunslingerRoland
I think one does not exclude the other.

It boggles my mind why anyone will think sex is appropriate for someone (teen or adult) who is unaware of their sexual anatomy/physiology - even if it is just for the sake of early detection if things go wrong...

I'm not saying it's bad to teach it, but I don't think it should be taught as a birth control method.

Sexual anatomy/physiology is taught in most sex ed programs. But trigonometry is taught in most math programs at the same ages. What percentage of adults would get a basic trig question right on the street? I wouldn't and I took university level math classes.

You have to teach things, like birth control to the lowest common denominator. It had to be stupid simple, or it'll backfire.

• Like 1