Is she racist?

gbe2015

Jewish people as you put have been through enough. There is no need to crack a joke using the word JEWS. That's what I mean we're not ready for peace and love yet. Too much hate and no respect for the different races.

Jewish people as you put have been through enough. There is no need to crack a joke using the word JEWS. That's what I mean we're not ready for peace and love yet. Too much hate and no respect for the different races.

Living peacefully is not new. Our world is, in fact, more accepting than it has ever been. All the negative news, so easily disseminated and accessible, it seems like the world is falling apart. We also live in a very difficult time where certain elements of our society are actively trying to destroy what they fear/hate and that has added much more frustration to all our lives. These people are evil and have no respect for anyone who's ideas differ from their own...no matter what race that person is. Bigots/racists are a danger to all of society.

When people become frustrated, uncertain, some will find ways to blame someone else for their problems and do so by creating blanket generalizations that serve to demonize, make less human so easier to hate or alienate.

Who ever said that stereotypes are true...is simply wrong. I find people with very little exposure or experience with other cultures to be the ones who easily buy into stereotypes.

So I was on a date with a girl and we are watching the movie IT

For those who seen it there is a jewish character that is a bit neurotic and talks a lot (but funny).

Anyways so we are watching the movie and he does something funny and she laughs and says 'It takes a jew'. After about 15 seconds I reply 'what does that mean?' 'That it takes a jew to act that way. It's funny because only a jew could be that way'

Now is that racist? I think it is but then that's how the charactor in the movie is protrayed. Thoughts?

Movies, comedy shows and comedians have always used recognisable stereotypes to poke fun at.

If they weren't recognisable and true to some extent then there would be no humour generated.

We all go "Ah that is just so typical..." from our real life experiences too, and it is thus funny.

Some people get defensive and offended and are quick to utter an -ist word, about whatever they feel most aggrieved about, but sometimes there is no real agenda it is just comedy for comedy's sake.

I do not think pure comedy should be policed, as through comedy and humour, many real truths get exposed.

• Like 2
Btw, I don't think she is "racist" but I would cringe at such a remark, and it's one I would avoid saying.

I agree with this.

I don't think she is a bigot but she needs a brain-to-mouth filter. I have a very dry, sarcastic sense of humor that can be very dark at times but I keep it in check until I know someone is comfortable with me. And, I keep the darkest part of my humor saved for my closest friends and family; most of the women I date get see the full spectrum of my sense of humor.

And, I've seen "It" twice and read the book a dozen+ times, and it's interesting that she pointed out how neurotic the Jewish kid is without looking at Eddie Kaspbrak's character who is the neurotic, hyporchondriac mess..

Some stereotypes are false, some are true. I am well aware there are a lot of stereotypes about my culture, I have no problem telling you which ones are false and which ones are true. If you think all of the sterotypes about your culture are false you're in denial.

I live in a very multi-cultural city and have worked many years with different race-cultures and I am dating a man of a different race. Whether it's with my Jewish friend, my Asian collegues6 or my black boyfriend we have no problem poking fun at our own stereotypes or at each other's stereotypes. Most of the time the jokes are initiated by THEM.

If she is Jewish or regularly interacts with a network of Jewish people I wouldn't see a problem with this. But perpetuating stereotypes about a race or culture you have no proximity to is racist.

I agree with that.

Maybe she doesn't have the maturity to understand the difference.

If she is Jewish or regularly interacts with a network of Jewish people I wouldn't see a problem with this. But perpetuating stereotypes about a race or culture you have no proximity to is racist.

I'm an American black woman, I don't care how long you've known me. If you're not black and your social network doesn't have a significant percentage of black people, stereotypes about black people should not come out of your mouth.

I live in Southern California and my friend circle is largely white. They all know not to do this.

So what you're saying is that racism has nothing to do with what's said, but it's all about who makes the 'racist' statements.

Sorry, I don't buy into that. It's the same argument some people use to say white people can't suffer from racism (that actually happens, believe it or not).

I'm pretty accustomed to jewish people and they aren't a rare breed here.

The most antisemitic jokes I have heard (WW2, camps jokes) came from their mouths but between them, though I was listening.

The thing is, you can laugh about basically everything just not with everybody.

Though in the question of the OP I don't think she was really joking. The brain to mouth filter is sound advice but generally people like that can't help themselves.

It doesn't have to be white vs everybody else. I lost count on the number of remarks about limeys, krauts, frogs and so forth I heard in bars. Inappropriate for sure. Drunk people are stupid.

OP: if you keep dating this person and the slurs or poor taste cracks go on and you feel uncomfortable I'd suggest to find someone else.

Edited by Shanex