How much alcohol is too much?

If a behavior inhibits the formation and/or maintenance of healthy interpersonal relationships, it bears scrutiny.

I won't take credit for that opinion; I first heard it from a psychologist in MC.

Having seen it firsthand, if alcohol kills you, I'm comfortable in stating that's too much. Beyond that, opinion varies widely.

Of note, Roger Clinton, Bill's half brother, is apparently still on the bottle and was pinched on a DUI in the last year in SoCal, and Trump's brother Fred who died, as a good friend of mine did, at a relatively young age, 43 in his case, of alcohol related issues.

Here's an article from Politico on what Donald shared about Fred and alcohol when talking about opioids in the news recently:

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/26/trump-brother-fred-alcoholic-244213

My rule of thumb for myself is if I can take it or leave it, I'm good. If friends are drinking and I don't feel like it or am the DD and I don't feel 'left out', I'm good. The bottle doesn't have me. However, unlike Trump, I do have beers with friends, a glass of wine with dinner once in awhile and a G&T on the plane sometimes. Too much got out of the way at a young age when puking into my pillow and mom saying nothing other than 'was it worth it?' Nope. First and last time. YMMV.

These are my own person rules on alcohol

Drink during a special occasion or no more than once a week. (I usually do less than once a week more like once a month. )

Do not drink enough to black out

Do not drink alone (if I am just gonna stay home and watch a movie for exam)

No drinking before noon.

I usually use it like a social buffer to an extent to this is what works for me

alcohol isn't something you need to survive. so pretty much any is a waste. you're drinking away money, and giving up your health. not many benefits.