Would you ever move without a job?

• Author
MajesticUnicorn
I had similar thoughts when I was a few years younger of moving across the country. I applaud your determination and wish you the best, looking forward to seeing how it goes for you.

I got rid of all my stuff, with the exception of what could fill a duffel and backpack, and headed down to where I wanted to be without a job or housing. Looking back it's almost frightening to think about how wrong it could have gone but through sheer grit, determination, hard work, and the love of my life at my side I made it work. Prospering actually. ;) I wouldn't trade my life now for anything.

People are too risk adverse nowadays in general I think. Which is unfortunate because the rewards out there for the bold are substantial.

I wouldn't do this if I were a single mother with 3 kids. However, if I were single and relatively young like the OP (correct me if I'm wrong), then I really couldn't see any downside — especially you have a brother in your dream city. But I'm also more of a risk-taker compared to many people.

I'm a math teacher with a masters degree and experience which means that I don't have a hard time landing a job. But, I still wouldn't move somewhere without having a job lined up. It's just a matter of practicality for me; I don't want to risk swimming in debt because I end up struggling to find a job. Or, end up working a job that I hate, just to make ends meet and keep my career moving forward.

I moved to other side of the world when I was 22, with nothing but the clothes I was wearing! Never regretted it. If you are young and basically free, go for it. Ive never really regretted the things Ive done, just the things I didnt do....

Absolutely I would. I have done it 5 times. In fact, I've never changed states with a job set up!

Well it's officially happening! As in, I'm moving the first weekend of November which is both a terrifying and exciting thing. It's definitely a risky move I know but I think if I don't do it I'm always going to wonder, "what if."

Luckily, it seems like I am still getting bites for interviews, as well as meetings with potential freelance clients and have a few set up for when I get to town. It already seems like having an address in this new city is making my job search a lot easier.

Now I'm just working on lightening my load and selling a bunch of stuff to hopefully rake up some extra cash before the move. That's gonna be the tricky part I think, I'll definitely be living the starving artist diet for a while but I'm fortunate in that I think if all else fails I will have my family to fall back on. LOL always can resort to tinder dates too right? :lmao:

Of course I don't want to go into debt, but I am young and currently have no bills so to me it is worth the risk. I'll keep you all posted on how it goes! Hoping my determination and risk-taking will be rewarding in the end.

• Like 6
  • Author
MajesticUnicorn

Well, my moving date is Saturday. I’ve been super excited about the move, but now that it’s getting closer I’ve found myself feeling really sad. Mostly about leaving my parents behind, and my town.

I’ve lived here my entire life. Went to school here, then college, then worked full time after graduating college. This is literally all that I have known my entire life, aside from the summer where I interned in the city where I’m moving to.

Of course I’m excited to be taking this step. But at the same time, I’m terrified of the uncertainty that lies in moving without a job. I’m terrified of going somewhere brand new and that I’m just going to fail miserably and be broke.

I’m also just sad because I’ve always been within a fifteen minute drive of my parents. I know this is part of growing up, but it’s still hard. While I’m fairly independent now, I have a very close relationship with my parents and have loved being able to see them whenever I want.

I think I’m experiencing all these emotions because I’ve never done anything like this before. I’m just wondering if it’s normal to feel this way before a major life event. I want to be as excited as I was earlier on, but now I’m having second thoughts.

You're always going to leave behind things you value and be sad about it Unicorn. That's normal. But you can always go back and visit, and maybe even move back at some point. It's just another chapter in your life you're staring. Not necessarily forever.

I wouldn't be shocked if my fiance and I ended up moving back up to New England after the kids are grown in a few years. Never know which way the life winds will blow you.

• 1 month later...
  • Author
MajesticUnicorn

Just wanted to post and check in with everyone.

I moved on November 4th, interviewed on the 14th and had a job offer by the 15th! It was definitely scary and challenging and difficult, but I’m really glad I took a leap of faith and went for it. My job has been really great so far, I love my new town and overall I’m really happy.

Thanks everyone for your support and encouragement. :)

• Like 3
heartbrokenlady

I have worked overseas several times. I'm British but am currently working in Spain.

I would NEVER move without a job.

You need to find job sites or recruitment agents in your field and check vacancies a couple of times a week. You also need to update your CV (or resume, if you're in the US) for every job you apply for.

It is also worth getting your basic CV set up professionally. You can then amend it for each employer.

You also need to have your supporting statement tailored to each vacancy.

View job hunting as a job in itself.

Good luck!

I moved from Michigan to California 30 years ago without a job. I made sure I had a California address and immediately started temping when I got out here. It was not only a great way to find my way around but the perfect way to find a permanent job. I registered with several agencies and could take my pick of where I wanted to work from week to week, month to month, etc. I ended up liking it so much that I did it for two years until I found a dream job at a mega law firm, and they hired me full time. I was young like you, so my advice is to do it now.

If you can work on-line or by network, that could be another option too.

Best of luck you!!!

Depends on what you are willing to sacrifice and how easy-going you are.

1) There are always jobs available for those who HAVE to work, people tend to develop "lifestyle standards". If you want to move that bad you'll flip burgers if you have to and work 3 jobs, **** it. My mom came here from France in the 80's, none of her education was recognized in Canada. So she started at the food market, took part-time school and now she's a director for the govt policy board. It's okay to start at the bottom, don't feel bad. Before quitting your job save enough to cover your ass for at least 3months.

2) Stay at a friends or a family member while you are there trying to find a job. Also you should be able to get a job there via online or phone interview, again maybe lower your standards. Mooch as much as you can, nothing wrong with food stamps or hitting up the foodbank, even if you don't have to.

3) Hostels are awesome, just check online for reviews first. Nobody said you had to buy or rent a place, you could just jump from hostel to hostel if you are hippy enough, I have had many friends do this. I will always do this when I travel, hotels are a ****ing waste of money, and you get to meet way more people, and way cooler people too.

Cheers bud, don't have regrets.

Sure, have, haven't had a job for 30+ years. Where I'm moving my stuff to now I have no idea how work will go, will just figure it out as I go. That's an advantage of being a generalist, a jack of all trades. There's always something to do.