Just having a hard time understanding

• Author
maxximus910
Congrats on getting through it, and coming out positive. I wish my wife would have done that. We have kids, and is dragging me through... well... crap, right now.

Thanks for the update. It helps the ones in it right now.

It is a long process unfortunately. But you will come out on the other end a stronger person because of it!

Her leaving me was one of the best things to ever happen to me. I feel free and have a new fresh start at life!

It's crazy going through all the old replies. Everyone who responded was pretty much spot on!

The problem: You married too young. She told you why she's leaving, and it's true. She needs to be on her own, not with someone she's tied to, and become her own person. While she's been working these festivals, she's discovered a bit of herself, but more importantly, she's tasted freedom from daily influence and drag of spouses or parents. That's why I say you married too young. We all need to be on our own and learn to live with ourselves and be independent before we have truly bloomed into our own person.

I'm sorry it's left you devastated. Please keep up all your good self-help programs. Cheating isn't why she left. Freedom and discovering herself is why she left. I hope she leaves you the dog. You do not have any obligation to be "just friends" with her if it's too painful. Just tell her it's too painful and keeps you living with false hope while she's moved on.

Again, so sorry for your pain. The biggest good thing out of all this is it sounds like it drove you to get sober and get counseling to make yourself your best self. And once you are your best self, you will find someone new. Alcoholism stunts a person's emotional development, so you will be maturing once again now you're sober and probably be a bit different person, for the better. Good luck.

Thanks for coming back with the update! The success stories are important for everyone to hear. It gives us hope!