Can credit card debt cost me my job?

• Author
$4k doesn't seem like a lot.

When do you hear back on the background check?

No idea. Someone said background checks generally take 3-5 days, but I’ve also been told their Human Resources department is very understaffed. It took them a week just to even send the paperwork to me after I accepted their verbal offer.

• Author

Objectively speaking, the credit card debt does call into question my ability to manage a project with a budget. Maybe I shouldn’t get my hopes up about getting this job :( :(

• Author
I understand that some (or most?) federal govt jobs require credit check. My guess is that they just wanted to make sure their future employees don't have lots of delinquent debts in the past. I also doubt if they can see your current outstanding balance in your credit cards. Honestly, it's a free world, how you are spending your money is nobody's damn business, as long as you don't default on your debts.

Well, for federal govt jobs I would guess they would be more interested in seeing who you owe money to than the amount of the debt. Conflicts of interest and things like that.

• 2 weeks later...
CautiouslyOptimistic
They said the background check went through and I’m officially hired :) :) :)

Yay!!! Congratulations!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Author
Yay!!! Congratulations!!!!!

Thanx :)

I want everyone to know that you do not have to stay in a job you hate or that doesn’t pay you what you’re worth. I got turned down for a raise at my company, so I went out and found another job that would pay me what I felt I should be making. I turned down offers that didn’t fit my salary requirements. I went out there and got what I wanted. Anything’s possible if you don’t give up and keep the end goal in mind!

Edited by Redguitar35
Spellcheck
  • Like 5

Congratulations! So happy for you. I hope this job is everything you have been waiting for. Don't burn any bridges on your way out of the job you hate; you never know who may pop up in your future. Some guy here on LS changed jobs 2x since his break up & recently his EX turned up as his new boss. Whoops.

They said the background check went through and I’m officially hired :) :) :)

Congratulations! I'm glad it worked out for you and you have the job.

Be doubly thankful though, both that you got a job you liked, and that the background check on your credit didn't sink you. I just saw this thread a few moments ago and frankly, when I read the OP, I winced because I am aware that bad credit is often considered grounds for rescinding an offer. You got lucky.

So, make your new job work, and pay down your debt!

Edited by Imajerk17
eye of the storm

CONGRATS on the job!!!

I went thru testing, interviewing and was rated the #1 pick for an opening. they called me 2 days later and said they would not be offering me the position. I asked why and they said my credit score.

So it does happen.

I don't worry anymore. I worked my butt off paying off debts from my xH and the divorce and working on my credit. Its fine now and I protect it like an extra kid.

Excessive debt is not great but if all else is ok you should be fine.

• Author
Congratulations! So happy for you. I hope this job is everything you have been waiting for. Don't burn any bridges on your way out of the job you hate; you never know who may pop up in your future. Some guy here on LS changed jobs 2x since his break up & recently his EX turned up as his new boss. Whoops.

I think that burned bridges are sometimes unavoidable particularly when the employee leaves on his or her own terms. What’s sad is that my employers could’ve kept me if they had simply accepted my request for a slight raise. Instead they chose to be a bunch of jerks about it. I wasn’t even asking for the amount my new company ultimately offered me.

Edited by Redguitar35