I make 3 times more than my husband!

• Author
OP, I see a woman who has pigeon-holed herself into being the bread-winner, when she really just wants to be a mom first, and work part-time to add what she can. The issue is that you aren't willing to compromise on a lifestyle that's seemingly much more important to you, than to your husband. I think that you should start working part-time from home, and adjust your spending and lifestyle accordingly. If that means moving to a smaller home that is less central, or downsizing vehicles, do it. Honestly, it sounds like you know you're going to crack if you keep on the path you're on, and you're lashing out at your husband because he is complacent, and not interested in taking on more to fill the void you know will exist when you eventually leave your job.

I know your situation, because I've been off on disability for 9 months now with carpal tunnel in both wrists. I was making 6 figures in the oil field, and now it's low 5 figures on disability. If I saw this coming, I would have gotten in front of it. While your current financial resources are still there, downsize your home, cars, and curb whatever spending habits necessary to restructure your life around your new income reality, before it's forced onto you.

It was forced onto me, and I'm putting out fires now. I've already sold my SUV to cut monthly costs, and I'm doing repairs to the house to sell it next spring. Once sold, all outstanding debts will be wiped clean by the equity in my house, and we're going to downsize homes. I'll be left with $50k for business start up money. Is it ideal, no. What it is, is the opportunity to re-establish our lives so that my wife and I can be content with little financial stressors, and a much better work life balance.

Balance your life. Balance yourself.

That's a good idea. We almost have our 2nd car paid off and we owe very little left on this house. Perhaps when we get debt free, I could find part time work or do a stay at home business. This is very good advice, thanks!