Co-Worker Is Taking Over My Job

Yeah so true! I have been here 10 months already myself and was told I'd be hired on once the hiring freeze is over. I don't think they will hire me if they knew that I'm just no longer of any value to this company. Kevin has made sure of that.

You have mentioned about your skill set being UI/UX. So do you know Angular or React ?? If you know ReactJS, I don't think you should be groveling for opportunities or projects. You can easily earn $100,000+ with ReactJS specialization.

Eternal Sunshine

I totally sympathize with you. People that have any power in my company are 100% male. I find it frustrating that they would often act like they are listening and appreciating my opinion and go and do what they want. This is when it comes to my specialty area that they know little about. Like, why come to me in the first place :confused:

I also tend to bottle things up and then have an over-reaction to a relatively minor thing. When I have an outburst, mine is usually anger rather than crying. I can also make insults that are somewhat personal. It's not the best look. What I found to work best after is:

1. Don't apologize. Never apologize or explain yourself away unless your boss directly confronts you about your behavior. If nothing is said, you say nothing. Apologizing in any way will only further invalidate your point and make you appear even weaker.

2. Go about your work like absolutely nothing has happened. Appear calm, polite and smile. Pretend like absolutely nothing is out of place. The more you do this, the faster it will blow over.

3. Keep a low profile for a while after. Fly under the radar.

4. Find an outside of work ally and outlet for your emotions. It will help with keeping it together at work. Don't try to gossip or get people on your side. This only looks unprofessional.

5. I found that complaining to bosses or HR or similar isn't really effective. Basically, either fight or get out of the ring.

6. If outbursts happen often (like more than once a year or so) and if you feel frustrated 80% of the time, it means that the job or company culture is a bad fit for you. There will always be Kevins, but some environments will be an overall better fit than others.

7. Always be aware of better jobs and opportunities.

Edited by Eternal Sunshine
  • Like 1
  • Author
You have mentioned about your skill set being UI/UX. So do you know Angular or React ?? If you know ReactJS, I don't think you should be groveling for opportunities or projects. You can easily earn $100,000+ with ReactJS specialization.

Yes I know both quite well with 3 years of Angular and 2 years of React. I am earning more than that right now with this job. I have been offered an interview with a job paying $79/hourly that is way too far away. It would be a 1.5 hour commute but the pay looks good. It is probably a very stressful job, however.

This company is really laid back like me as in you can work from home and there isn't any structure. It fits my personality. Kevin is not liking the atmosphere here and complains how laid back it is. He wants them to implement some structure with a project manager. I wish he would STFU! lol!

• Author
I totally sympathize with you. People that have any power in my company are 100% male. I find it frustrating that they would often act like they are listening and appreciating my opinion and go and do what they want. This is when it comes to my specialty area that they know little about. Like, why come to me in the first place :confused:

I also tend to bottle things up and then have an over-reaction to a relatively minor thing. When I have an outburst, mine is usually anger rather than crying. I can also make insults that are somewhat personal. It's not the best look. What I found to work best after is:

1. Don't apologize. Never apologize or explain yourself away unless your boss directly confronts you about your behavior. If nothing is said, you say nothing. Apologizing in any way will only further invalidate your point and make you appear even weaker.

2. Go about your work like absolutely nothing has happened. Appear calm, polite and smile. Pretend like absolutely nothing is out of place. The more you do this, the faster it will blow over.

3. Keep a low profile for a while after. Fly under the radar.

4. Find an outside of work ally and outlet for your emotions. It will help with keeping it together at work. Don't try to gossip or get people on your side. This only looks unprofessional.

5. I found that complaining to bosses or HR or similar isn't really effective. Basically, either fight or get out of the ring.

6. If outbursts happen often (like more than once a year or so) and if you feel frustrated 80% of the time, it means that the job or company culture is a bad fit for you. There will always be Kevins, but some environments will be an overall better fit than others.

7. Always be aware of better jobs and opportunities.

Great tips. Thanks!