[UPDATE]How do I tell my roommate, an elderly lady, she eventually needs to move out.

Purrrfect

In AZ it does not take 6 months to evict. Az is a pro landlord state and she also lives with me so no Judge is going to let her stay. I do believe once I get an order of eviction she has to move within 5 days.

So is Georgia and it can take 6 months to get someone out that knows the system...

Tenants have rights too, they call them Tenant Defenses..

You might want to read up on what your road will be like if she decides to fight the eviction..

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/tenant-defenses-evictions-arizona.html

Pay attention to Tenant Defenses...

I have quite a bit of rental property myself and on one occasion we let an employees family live rent free for a few months and then we asked them to leave and they refused.

It took us months to get them out and could have taken 6 months if they had kept fighting the eviction.

The cool thing is you have to go down to the courthouse and file things, they get to file disputes thru the internet, making it harder on you and easier for them.

In the end you will evict her but she can delay it quite a while if she chooses to fight you..

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
  • Like 2

BTW, I'm talking about someone who knows how to work the system.. if she doesn't you can get her out in under 30 days...

In Georgia every time a dispute or counter is filed the opposing party gets 30 days to respond, in Arizona the time frame is shorter so the eviction cycle will be faster.. but it is up to you to start that cycle.

Look into something called constructive eviction.

In Arizona that is specifically prohibited and comes with it's own punishment, up to the value of 2 months rent to be paid to the renter.

They call those self help procedures and those aren't allowed

She also cannot change locks or anything else that prohibits her renter from access to the property

• Author

I’m pretty sure constructive eviction is illegal o wouldn’t do it anyways.

She doesn’t know the system but I also have asthma and allergies and my garage smells like smoke so I will tell her no smoking.

I think she’s mad at me. Yesterday I worked all day and had a meeting after work and didn’t get here me yesterday until 7. She walked from out back to her room and kinda gave me a half heated hello.

I’m gling to start collecting moving boxes.

well considering the circumstances I do think that the friendship will probably be over, since you are basically throwing her out at this point, but it is fair since it is your house.

Have you told her about the older potential roommate you mentioned?

It might make her feel better to know that she can move out with another person that can help cover the rent. (you mentioned you rented to her at a discount)

• Author

I have no choice but to “ throw” her out since she won’t leave otherwise. I’ve been more than fair and patient. I gave her several months notice and even totally waived rent for Jan.

She asked me last night about my letter and was confused if she had to be out by feb 28 or mar 3. I said mar 3 since she gets her SS. I asked her if she wanted boxes and she said yes. She actually just left the house which she never does this early. Of course she could just be going to corner store for smokes. I have given her names and numbers of 2 older ladies that are looking for roomMates. I know she talked to at least 1. I’m going to help her with boxes.

I’m sure she knows my patience has run out. I’m so done with having someone in my house 22/7

I’ll keep you all posted.

well considering the circumstances I do think that the friendship will probably be over, since you are basically throwing her out at this point, but it is fair since it is your house.

Have you told her about the older potential roommate you mentioned?

It might make her feel better to know that she can move out with another person that can help cover the rent. (you mentioned you rented to her at a discount)

Edited by Purrrfect
  • Like 1
I’m pretty sure constructive eviction is illegal o wouldn’t do it anyways.

She doesn’t know the system but I also have asthma and allergies and my garage smells like smoke so I will tell her no smoking.

Right, I wasn't suggesting you do anything like this. I was suggesting that cutting access to her internet or the garage, or even banning smoking, might be some form of constructive eviction. So before you do that, make sure you're not breaking any laws.

• Author

Internet and garage is getting cut off starting 3/3.

I’ll keep you all posted

Right, I wasn't suggesting you do anything like this. I was suggesting that cutting access to her internet or the garage, or even banning smoking, might be some form of constructive eviction. So before you do that, make sure you're not breaking any laws.
  • Like 1
  • Author

Ok so she’s looking but appears to have had another hiccup.

She contacted both names I gave her. One was an older semi retired coworker of my sisters. This woman’s house and personal life was a total mess. Roomie chatted with her for a while because she felt sorry for her bit house in total disrepair ancwoman has crack head daughter and BF who come over all the time.

She was supposed to see a second place tmrw with this woman I found for her on CL. Well the woman texted her today saying she’s decided to move so room no longer avail. I see The woman removed her ad. She said she has called and emailed dozens of people and her email an her email has been hacked and she gets scams or perverts most of the time. Well it’s Craig’s list what do you expect.

I told her she should be looking at apartments then because she’s running out of Time. She told me she didn’t want to be locked into any lease because she really doesnt want to stay out here. I told her she may not have much of a choice because she’s running out of time. I then had to leave to take my son to practice.

I’m tired of going back and forth with her. I’m going to reiterate again if it comes up this arrangement does not work for me and she knows she has to leave by the 3rd.

So this is where we are at.

• Author

She just left to look at 2 rooms today. One is a lady who lives 2 blocks away in the large subdivision across the street. They both are from NY. It’s s shared bathroom and the other woman is also a smoker. There will be 3 adult females living in the house. She has high hopes this will work.

We had a long chat yesterday and I threw in there spring break starts March 5 and I’m taking a couple days off to get some stuff done around here and I need her room emptied and my garage space back. She said she plans on being totally moved out by sat March 3 and have some faith in her. She did ask for help in getting a truck to move her bed. Apart from that she can move everything else in a few trips in her car.

She said this woman is ok with the fact she works a lot from home. Great. I certainly am not a fan of it.

It’s getting close!

CautiouslyOptimistic
She just left to look at 2 rooms today. One is a lady who lives 2 blocks away in the large subdivision across the street. They both are from NY. It’s s shared bathroom and the other woman is also a smoker. There will be 3 adult females living in the house. She has high hopes this will work.

We had a long chat yesterday and I threw in there spring break starts March 5 and I’m taking a couple days off to get some stuff done around here and I need her room emptied and my garage space back. She said she plans on being totally moved out by sat March 3 and have some faith in her. She did ask for help in getting a truck to move her bed. Apart from that she can move everything else in a few trips in her car.

She said this woman is ok with the fact she works a lot from home. Great. I certainly am not a fan of it.

It’s getting close!

Sounds promising!

• Author

Ate filled me on today’s events. out of 2 rooms today she only saw 1. The 1 lady off Craig’s list cancelled- typical. The other lady by me they did meet. She said the house was ok not as big as mine and the room has a king bed in it and not much room for else. The home owner doesn’t work so she rents out 2 rooms to pay her mortgage. The other renter is A young woman who’s hardly home. Street parking only and it was $50 more a month for the garage.

Boy was I giving this woman a deal. No wonder next she doesn’t want to move.

The woman though apparently promised someone they could see the room tmrw so she couldn’t give my roommate dibs yet but wants 3 references

I told her she needs to go look at studio apts as a back up plan in case this room falls through. She said she has already started looking and will go see a couple tmrw.

At sny rate she send to know she has 2 weeks to find a place no exceptions.

• Author

It looks like she Took a room across the street just a couple blocks away. She’s moving next Sat. She’s paying $50 more a month for much less but that’s all she wants to pay. She will have 2 full time roommates ( both female) and will be sharing a bathroom. She is at the point where she really doesn’t have much options. She waited until the last minute to look and the only place she somewhat liked and was clean that made offer.

This homeowner doesn’t work full time outside the house either and also smokes so hopefully this works out.

I do have to admit I will miss her just a little and I feel a little bad but I no longer want someone in my house 22/7 nor do I want A smoky smelling garage anymore.

• Like 1
It looks like she Took a room across the street just a couple blocks away. She’s moving next Sat. She’s paying $50 more a month for much less but that’s all she wants to pay. She will have 2 full time roommates ( both female) and will be sharing a bathroom. She is at the point where she really doesn’t have much options. She waited until the last minute to look and the only place she somewhat liked and was clean that made offer.

This homeowner doesn’t work full time outside the house either and also smokes so hopefully this works out.

I do have to admit I will miss her just a little and I feel a little bad but I no longer want someone in my house 22/7 nor do I want A smoky smelling garage anymore.

It's good you care about her and hopefully in time you two can maintain a friendship ... but with that said, give yourself space from her. I can see her popping over to visit too often and not giving you a chance to breathe. Set some boundaries with her once she moves out.

She waited too long to look for a great place. Instead she called your bluff really in hopes that you wouldn't make her move out and now she is in a place that is okay but probably could be better.

Enjoy your (soon to be) freedom in your house!

• Author

Thanks.

Word of advice. If someone gives you 90+ days notice to move, use it wisely. She was supposed to be out at end of jan and asked for an extension which I shouldn’t have even given her. But of course I don’t think she started looking until Jan so she of course couldn’t find anything she liked that was affordable.

It’s so ridiculous she should have been able to find a better place for the money but she’s out of time again. This womans house is in a great part of town and it’s a pretty decent house but she will be sharing a bathroom ( which I would refuse to do) and street parking and less privacy for more than she paid me. Oh well!

It's good you care about her and hopefully in time you two can maintain a friendship ... but with that said, give yourself space from her. I can see her popping over to visit too often and not giving you a chance to breathe. Set some boundaries with her once she moves out.

She waited too long to look for a great place. Instead she called your bluff really in hopes that you wouldn't make her move out and now she is in a place that is okay but probably could be better.

Enjoy your (soon to be) freedom in your house!

• Like 1
  • Author

Update- she’s moved out as of today. She is only living a few blocks away.

Although she hasn’t given me her keys or garage remote yet.

Today is bittersweet. I feel weird. My kids are mad at me. We were gone all day doing errands and sports. I feel bad and I miss her

A little bit she was starting to become a burden here. Barely any money. Smoking. Home all day and night I just couldn’t deal with it anymore after 18 months My 9 yr old son really liked her and asked me why I kicked her out. He actually asked her why she has to move out.

I don’t want to make a big deal about this when she returns the keys. I’ll give her a hug and wish her well and the kids and I do plan on visiting her since she is literally moving only a couple blocks away.

Sniff.

• Like 1
CautiouslyOptimistic
Update- she’s moved out as of today. She is only living a few blocks away.

Although she hasn’t given me her keys or garage remote yet.

Today is bittersweet. I feel weird. My kids are mad at me. We were gone all day doing errands and sports. I feel bad and I miss her

A little bit she was starting to become a burden here. Barely any money. Smoking. Home all day and night I just couldn’t deal with it anymore after 18 months My 9 yr old son really liked her and asked me why I kicked her out. He actually asked her why she has to move out.

I don’t want to make a big deal about this when she returns the keys. I’ll give her a hug and wish her well and the kids and I do plan on visiting her since she is literally moving only a couple blocks away.

Sniff.

Awww, about your kids. Well, honestly I would focus mostly on the smoking with regard to the kids. That would be enough of a reason for me. And hopefully they will learn to think of her as another "grandma" a couple blocks away and that will be enough for them.

• Author

I just texted her asking for remote and keys back. She has my only working remote since mine is programmed through my car. And my daughter lost her house key so I need her keys back. I just sent her a friendly text asking if I can come by or she can drop them off.

Don't feel bad, and the kids are free to go help her with things as they wish, and you can invite her to dinner and show that you have nothing against her but that it was just about privacy.

• Author

FYI I am absolutely loving my house to myself. I’m having the floor replaced in her room as soon as my guy has an opening which I think is 2 weeks. That will finish my home improvement project for this year. My daughters new furniture and mattress is delivered and her room is being painted Friday.

My daughter has been talking to the former roomie through text. She misses us. Sweet lady but I can’t have someone living here who does almost nothing all day every day. Sorry not sorry.

My garage finallly is smoke free as well. Once all my old furniture is gone from it I’m going to clean it out. It’s nice not having he other leaky car in it all the time.

• Like 1