My boss and my co-worker are making my life miserable [UPDATE]

ChatroomHero

Tell the co-worker that is retiring your situation. You say he is like a father figure to you, I would expect if you told him you would love to go but cannot afford the dinner, he would be fine with it. He might offer to pay for you because he wants you there. Either way he will understand.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Author

So recently at work things have sort of gotten crazy again. We have our annual reviews with our boss. How it works is that you submit your review with all the work you have done this year to your immediate boss. He then rates you from 1-5, 1 being the worst, and 5 being the best on multiple categories. I have been here for three years and never ever gotten a 5. My coworkers who has been with him for twice as long has not either. He always used to say he only gives 3 and 4’s so we strive to do better.

This year I go in to meet with him to talk about my review. He gives me mostly all 4’s and a couple of 5’s. I was shocked. I didn’t believe it. He also gave my co-worker a similar rating. We were shocked to be sure. It took us both many years to get this good of a score. Then he must submit these records to his boss. And he can choose to nominate certain people for a $1000 bonus. I have never been nominated in my three years and neither has my co-worker. She is 62 and about to retire. She has been at this organization for over 10 years and with him as her boss for 6.

We have a staff meeting and he announces to everyone that he nominated everyone for the bonus. I am happy. I worked hard this year and I took on way more jobs than I needed to. I do the job of two or three people anywhere else. This is the first year where I felt like I truly deserved it. But my co-worker and I are shocked he nominated the new girl. She has only been here for one year and he is already nominating her for a bonus. My poor coworker hasn’t gotten one in 6 years and she has loads of experience in her field and recommendations from clients. She and I both submitted client appreciation and positive review letters with our annual reviews. New girl is only the secretary. But he loves her, so again, I am not surprised.

My boss’ boss, gives my coworker and I the bonus. Unsure if new girl got the bonus, but I guarantee she did. We have a database online, where we house all of our work for the whole office. Everyone can access it. I don’t keep a lot on there, but other co-workers keep a ton on there. The other day I am going through folders looking for something specific that my boss wanted me to edit for him. I stumble across documents in one of his folders that have all of our names. He has everyone’s annual review up for everyone to see. I clicked on my own, and I clicked on new girls to compare. He gave me 4’s mostly, and a couple 5’s. He also wrote things in some sections saying how I could improve on this and that. Minor things, but still corrections. I look at her review and he gave her almost all 5’s on every section. And gave her rave reviews and not one correction. I was shocked. One year. She had no experience and had to learn so much and he gives her that?

Again, my poor co-worker waited 6 years for that and she didn’t get that.

Then, we had another co-worker who just left. He was older, made probably double what any of us make. He had lots of experience. We need someone who does. He was a sales person/recruiter. He was great. The person in the office who does something the most similar to him is me. So I have been handling his clients until we get someone new. Years ago, my boss told me he would never promote us within the office, because he felt it was a waste of resources. He would have to train two people instead of just one. It made sense. Yesterday he comes out of his office. Is leaning on new girls desk talking about office stuff. And then he blatantly offered her the job. She’s a secretary and he offering her a huge money sales jobs? I was shocked. He hasn’t offered it to anyone else. He was trying to convince her. It was shocking. She turned it down telling him she doesn’t like sales and isn’t good at sales.

I was appalled to say the least by this. We clearly know who is a favorite. My dad and his buddies think that he’s doing favors for her and eventually favors always need to get re-paid, if you know what I mean. They are grown men and they know how grown men are.