What is the average cost of an engagement ring?

BadRomanc3

An engagement ring is a bad investment. Eventually, there's close to a 50% chance that it could cost you half of all your assets, and a large fraction of all future earnings.

Well, I think that I read on here the other day that the average married person is having sex once a week.

Even at times during my break from women and dating, I was doing better than that (until she wandered off - hence the need for the ring :lmao:). And at a quarter of 1% overall expenditure than OP will spend on a simple piece of jewelry.

So I agree that it's shocking in terms of investment.

But I would argue that it's probably shocking in terms of the relationship dynamics too.

One does not simply happen upon a position where he feels the need to convince a woman into giving up her autonomy with such lavish sacrificial displays. It's typically gotten to over a long course of very needy behaviours.

Edited by Bastile
  • Like 1
  • Author
If you are very rich, then I guess a 100k ring is nothing. Otherwise, how do you know she wants such an expensive ring? You can take her on many impressive vacations for many wonderful experiences and memories with that money.

We'll just sell the dang thing, replace it with one from a cracker jack box and spend the rest of our lives touring the world! :p :p

I believe you are talking about marriage. The ring doesn't solidify the transaction, the wedding/marriage certificate and ceremony does. :lmao:

Yeah, but it's an option to buy, and sometimes is still considered a binding contractual obligation.

OP, it would be better to just buy a travel package directly. Selling the ring will result in a huge loss, as you won't get retail price for it.