Putting on a happy face / dying inside

d0nnivain

They are announcing their good news. They aren't doing anything to me. It's just difficult when you feel envy & that is personal. There is no way for it not to be

Not exactly the same situation, but I feel your hurt. I did consider starting a thread about my situation, but this fits enough I think. My best friend got engaged last night and told me (it's currently hush hush because she hasn't told her family yet). I'm so happy for her; she's been wanting it for a long time and she has a great guy and relationship.

But my first reaction? Tears. I cried. I've always struggled with relationships and been single most of my life. Right now, all I want is for someone I love, who loves me, to share my life with. All of my friends are in relationships, long term, live-in relationships while I go home alone every night. I don't think I'm a worse person than they are, so why does it happen for them and not me?

Especially last night, I felt like the worst person and worst friend in the world. Her good news is not about me and shouldn't make me feel bad. But it does. And try as I might, I can't change that. I'm seeing her tonight and thought about cancelling because I don't want my unhappiness to take away from her happiness. I can't tell anyone about how I feel because she would usually be the one I tell.

I don't really have advise because I'm struggling myself! All I will say is try not to feel bad about how you feel - you can't help it. More to the point, it doesn't make you a bad person, we are all human and see life through the glasses of our own lives. Just try to see the good in it.

It must be harder for you because they don't really want it so it seems so much more unfair. ((((Hugs))))

HarmonyDriven

I have to see my new SIL in two weeks so it will be tough to mask my mixed feelings. Any suggestions for doing that?

From what I have seen over the forums regarding your posts, you seem to have a lot of class. I don't doubt you will be able to be gracious in congratulating your new SIL on her pregnancy. Hopefully, she will stop smoking, drinking and take care of herself from now on. You might be needed to comfort the other SIL.

I do agree with other posters, true irony here. Many times, the ones who shouldn't get pregnant, do..... and the ones who should get pregnant, don't.

What doesn't make sense....you have one DWI, most likely from many years ago, and agencies deem you unfit as a parent....ridiculous! Again, irony at its finest......

GunslingerRoland

It's a perfect example of the unfairness of life. All those girls who get pregnant in high school while desperately trying to avoid pregnancy while meanwhile couples who are trying so hard are unable to.

All I can say, is that be careful in your interactions, because a lot of hurt feelings can be caused that last years when a child being born into a family doesn't cause joy across the board. You may have to swallow your feelings of pain and try to focus on the new child coming into your family.

Maybe a focus on being the favorite aunt?