Tell employer about criminal record?

• Author
Redguitar35
Annnnnd there we go. You're just bitter.

If you were working 40 hours a week, stressed and barely getting by, and you were late on all your bills, and you couldn't afford to take vacations, and your employer didn't give a rats a** enough to adjust your salary even a modest amount, you'd be a little disgruntled too.

If you were working 40 hours a week, stressed and barely getting by, and you were late on all your bills, and you couldn't afford to take vacations, and your employer didn't give a rats a** enough to adjust your salary even a modest amount, you'd be a little disgruntled too.

I completely understand you being bitter at your employer. But this issue is strictly between you and your employer.

By all means tattle on your coworker if you see him doing something which will affect the business. But otherwise, keep your nose out of his business.

Dude, ratting out another employee and putting him in a bad situation that’s worse than yours (no job at all) does nothing for you personally. If he gets fired then what? Someone else will just get the job and still be making more than you.

You’re unhappy there, just focus on interviewing and getting a new job. Forget that new guy, he has done nothing personally to you and has no effect on your future pay, so why does it matter?

Your business is interviewing and moving on to a better company that compensates you fairly.

WaitingForBardot
If I felt I was the best person for the job, why would I consider working under the person that beat me out for it? Their offer was totally disrespectful and insulting.

Apparently the hiring manager(s) didn't share your feelings that you were the best person for the job. Definitely worth thinking about why that might be. The why you might have accepted is that given they felt this person was the better candidate, you might have learned something from him/her by working under them.

And I doubt they felt their offer was disrespectful and insulting. They offered you what you were worth to them at the present time.

• Like 2
  • Author
Redguitar35
Apparently the hiring manager(s) didn't share your feelings that you were the best person for the job. Definitely worth thinking about why that might be. The why you might have accepted is that given they felt this person was the better candidate, you might have learned something from him/her by working under them.

And I doubt they felt their offer was disrespectful and insulting. They offered you what you were worth to them at the present time.

What they thought I was worth, which I'm under no obligation to accept. I felt I could get a better offer somewhere else and that's what I plan to do.

Do you know if the violent crime was a long time ago?

We (in the UK) have something called the rehabilitation of offenders act, so it doesn't mean that you can't ever work if you commit a crime.

It depends on what the conviction is for, how long ago it was, the age you were at the time and your new role.

People need to be given a second chance in life, otherwise how else are they meant to make a living.

• Like 1
Simple Logic
Yeah, like I said we're a publicly funded agency, so I find it very surprising that they would knowingly hire a two time criminal with a violent history. He had to have lied on his application.

Add it to the list of things that have caused me to lose confidence in this organization. I want out of there.

1st, all the offenses you listed are misdemeanors and none of them involved violence. 2nd, you have no evidence he lied on an application. 3rd, don't let the door hit you in the way out.

• Like 2

So, what benefit will outing this colleague (if by the slight chance they don't already know) give you in terms of your salary?

I can't understand how the two relate at all.

• Author
Redguitar35
Do you know if the violent crime was a long time ago?

We (in the UK) have something called the rehabilitation of offenders act, so it doesn't mean that you can't ever work if you commit a crime.

It depends on what the conviction is for, how long ago it was, the age you were at the time and your new role.

People need to be given a second chance in life, otherwise how else are they meant to make a living.

It sends the message that there are no consequences for bad behavior.

I'm sure there were other qualified candidates for that job who didn't have the multiple offenses this guy has and somehow managed to go through life without shattering a police car window. But that meant nothing to my employer when it came to filling that job. I question their judgement. If I found out that any of those jobs I interviewed for and didn't get recently I lost to ex-convicts, etc. I'd definitely be annoyed.

• Author
Redguitar35
So, what benefit will outing this colleague (if by the slight chance they don't already know) give you in terms of your salary?

I can't understand how the two relate at all.

I think it's part of a pattern of questionable judgment on my employers part. Not only are they not paying me the money I want but they hired on someone with two criminal convictions, plus at a higher salary than mine. I will walk as soon as I land another job.

Edited by Redguitar35
It sends the message that there are no consequences for bad behavior.

I'm sure there were other qualified candidates for that job who didn't have the multiple offenses this guy has and somehow managed to go through life without shattering a police car window. But that meant nothing to my employer when it came to filling that job. I question their judgement. If I found out that any of those jobs I interviewed for and didn't get recently I lost to ex-convicts, etc. I'd definitely be annoyed.

So you believe that there were other candidates who would do a better job in his position? And why would your employer pass them up??? Dont you think they hired him because they thought he was the best man for the job?

And has he done a bad job or behaved in a violent manner?

The consequences are whatever the court sentenced him to. And that there are people like you in this world who're gonna cause him problems because theyre jealous and butthurt.

To be frank, it isn't your employer's job to pay your bills. It's your job to live within a budget so that you CAN pay your bills, or take on additional employment. I would bet that your attitude, which is clear as a bell here, it also evident to your employer. I wouldn;t give you a raise either.

• Like 1
  • Author
Redguitar35
To be frank, it isn't your employer's job to pay your bills. It's your job to live within a budget so that you CAN pay your bills, or take on additional employment. I would bet that your attitude, which is clear as a bell here, it also evident to your employer. I wouldn;t give you a raise either.

I don't need your advice about how to spend what little money I make, thank you. Like I said, my employer made their choice to not pay me a fair amount, and I am making mine by hitting the street and finding someone who will pay me what I should be making. I will let you know when I get that.