So lost...adult daughter left with kids

andie1969

That's so hard. :( Just read your update. Oh no :( I hope you'l get your grand kids as soon as you can. It's really happening in real life and I am so sorry for.your daughter for having BP and not deciding wisely for her childrrn and her own.

Edited by Novz
  • Author

No, I would never call my daughter an idiot even when I feel she is acting like one. But yes, her self esteem could very well be an issue. She hadn't been working for a few months thus depending on the kids dad for money and I know she didn't like that. She was to start a new job at a college here next month that she was very excited about, but now she's abandoned that too. She was a collector of facebook "friends", had about 3000 and would frequently post controversial topics just to get people all fired up. In hindsight, we should have all been more proactive before it got to this point, sometimes it's hard to see things when you're so closely involved with the person. I did reach out to her about a month before all this happened because I was concerned about some of her posts, but she fired back at me telling me off, so I had been walking on eggshells around her after that. This guy did build her up, called her Wonder Woman, made her feel she was capable of anything, that he was the king and she his queen.

But anyway, things have taken a turn for the worse. We found out yesterday she married this guy. My smart, beautiful 28 year old daughter married a 64 year old man a week after she first met him. We are devastated because we know this is not what she wants long term and now it will be so much harder for her to untangle herself from this mess. The attorney said that will have no effect on the court order though, this man has no legal rights to the kids. No one wants to take them away for good, but we all believe she needs help and probably won't get it until she loses the kids temporarily. The dad very much wants to work out a shared parenting plan, but that will be difficult when she is almost 6 hours away.

• Author

Also, she has not only cut off communication with our family and the kids' dad, but even her very best friend who she talked to daily. So, he has isolated her from EVERYONE, I'm sure he feels anyone else would be a threat to their relationship. That in itself can't last very long. But, if she were to be hospitalized, etc., he can now legally make decisions for her, that makes me sick.

Since they never married, there is no custody order in place so by default she has them.

I don't understand this. You don't need to be married to have custody, you just need to be the mother or the father. This sounds like kidnapping to me if the kids already lived in the same home as the father. I think the fathers attorney will be able to do something. And once that old man gets a whiff of all the legal drama coming, I'm sure he will get scared and send her back. He might even send her back before then with her having such little kids.