How do you deal with millenials?

GunslingerRoland
This sounds clear as mud. I thought sociology was some kind of science. There is nothing concrete from either of these descriptions. :confused:

Generations are never a perfectly defined thing. If they define a Generation Xer as up to 1979 and a millenial as after 1980, it's not going to mean that a person from from 1979 doesn't have way more in common with the person born the year after them than they do with the person born 15 years before them that happens to be in their definition of generation.

don't talk to me

As a millenial born in 1987 who doesn't love social media but doesn't have yuppie aspirations either, I am motivated by the below:

- Fairly distributed workload. I don't want to be the person who can't breathe for a whole workday. At the same time I don't like having nothing to do. I like to stay busy but I want to have time to think about what I'm doing.

- Good work-life balance. This is a BIG factor for me. That way I don't dread getting up in the morning and going to work. And I want a good lunch break, it makes such a big difference and refreshes the mind. After 7 hours of mental work my brain just turns to putty. I don't understand companies who have their employees work overtime consistently (there are always emergencies and I'm totally ok even with an allnighter, but otherwise it's not ok).

- Relaxing work environment and a good, fair culture of mutual respect. Being accepted as an individual with my strong and weak points. When the company recognises and uses my strong points to benefit.

- A clear plan of action for the year and a bonus scheme to reflect goals met

- Because I work with a computer a lot I would love to not sit on a desk all the time. I would love if the company provided us with a laptop and also had a lounge with armchairs and sofas where we would be able to work comfortably.

- Flexible working, meaning being able to work from home couple days a week. With current technology it's very easy to stay in touch with colleagues and it's also cheaper for the companies to rent a smaller space.

That's all I can think of now, I may come back later.

We are not as bad as we seem, really :)

• Like 1
bluefeather
Demographers and researchers typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years..."

JFReyes, I have read that wikipedia article before in my research.

And this is what wikipedia says about generation-x:

Generation X, or Gen X, is the demographic cohort following the baby boomers and preceding the Millennials. There are no precise dates for when Generation X starts or ends; demographers and researchers typically use starting birth years ranging from the early-to-mid 1960s and ending birth years ranging from the late 1970s to early 1980s.

So someone born in the early 1980s can be both a millennial and generation-x?

Generations are never a perfectly defined thing. If they define a Generation Xer as up to 1979 and a millenial as after 1980, it's not going to mean that a person from from 1979 doesn't have way more in common with the person born the year after them than they do with the person born 15 years before them that happens to be in their definition of generation.

This is part of why a topic like this is confusing to me. But first, I have to know exactly what a millennial is, and the answers seem vague or seemingly contradictive. I guess everyone else is ok with this, but it seems silly to me to create words that aren't perfectly defined, especially in science.

GunslingerRoland
JFReyes, I have read that wikipedia article before in my research.

And this is what wikipedia says about generation-x:

So someone born in the early 1980s can be both a millennial and generation-x?

This is part of why a topic like this is confusing to me. But first, I have to know exactly what a millennial is, and the answers seem vague or seemingly contradictive. I guess everyone else is ok with this, but it seems silly to me to create words that aren't perfectly defined, especially in science.

I wouldn't call it a scientific term. You could technically draw the line wherever you want, but it's not the line that is important. There is going to be generation overlap, everyone within a generation is an individual. But you can still recognize some general trends. Also region is very important. Finding someone from say China that matches the same generation as you they aren't necessarily going to fit the traits. These are only things that'll really match if you grew up in America, Canada, Australia or western europe.

If you're trying to figure out if you are millenial or not here is the key thing. If you grew up and had access to the internet as a child or in your very early teens, but didn't grow up with a smart phone at those same ages then you are probably a millenial. You might say it's a poor distinguishing feature for a milennial but nothing defined the milennials like being the first generation to grow up with the internet.

• Like 1
  • Author
But you can still recognize some general trends. Also region is very important. Finding someone from say China that matches the same generation as you they aren't necessarily going to fit the traits. These are only things that'll really match if you grew up in America, Canada, Australia or western europe.

In my case, I live in Puerto Rico which has a latin culture even though it's part of the USA. I have to add that distinction to the answer I give to the question.

bluefeather
I wouldn't call it a scientific term. You could technically draw the line wherever you want, but it's not the line that is important. There is going to be generation overlap, everyone within a generation is an individual. But you can still recognize some general trends. Also region is very important. Finding someone from say China that matches the same generation as you they aren't necessarily going to fit the traits. These are only things that'll really match if you grew up in America, Canada, Australia or western europe.

If you're trying to figure out if you are millenial or not here is the key thing. If you grew up and had access to the internet as a child or in your very early teens, but didn't grow up with a smart phone at those same ages then you are probably a millenial. You might say it's a poor distinguishing feature for a milennial but nothing defined the milennials like being the first generation to grow up with the internet.

I would prefer not to call it scientific, myself, but it is a sociological term, and sociology is a science, so that is why I made that statement. Anyway, thank you and JFReyes for taking the time to help me understand this term. I think it is finally getting through to me. With that said, JFReyes, it does sound like a strange question to me as well. Maybe they are just trying to ask how you would approach working in a managerial position over a lot of young people - as if they are trying to see if the age-gap might be an issue. And that is your opportunity to show them that it is not, and in fact, beneficial?

Edited by bluefeather
  • Like 1
major_merrick

I guess I'm on the "upper end" of the millennial age range. I don't really fit with them, but I never really fit with my peers in school either. My take on it is this - millennials typically don't work well in the standard corporate structure. They tend to "flake" when it comes to schedules. My idea of doing a decent job is that if I'm scheduled to be at work at 0730, I arrive at 0710 or 0715 to be on the safe side. I'm never late, and my boss knows this. If I'm not there by 0730, my boss is calling me asking me what's wrong. Why? Because he knows it's out of my normal behavior and that something really bad has happened to me. My millennial coworkers (recent college grads) don't seem to care. They show up right on time, or a few minutes late. They slack off when they should be working, and they just WON'T put the phones away.

And then there's social justice. Everything seems to be a social justice issue to them. They don't seem to understand that the world is a naturally unfair place, and you have to carve out your own place in it. They assume that someone (especially government) will always be there to help them.

On the other hand, millennials have some expectations that I WISH companies would take an interest in. A previous poster mentioned work-life balance. It is hard to find this in a perpetually crappy economy. When there's always someone else in line for your job, employers can pretty much use you how they want. 40 hours a week just doesn't exist anymore - it's more like you either work 55-60+ or you get part-time. I get that there are emergencies, but when a company perpetually has "emergencies" then that is just a sign of poor planning or lame excuses.

If I were a hiring manager (and thank God I'm not!) I would strive for a balance in who I hire. Get some older workers to provide a positive influence toward stability, and some younger workers to provide ideas and drive change if that's what is needed.

• Like 2
  • Author
With that said, JFReyes, it does sound like a strange question to me as well. Maybe they are just trying to ask how you would approach working in a managerial position over a lot of young people - as if they are trying to see if the age-gap might be an issue. And that is your opportunity to show them that it is not, and in fact, beneficial?

The question is so open ended that it smells of age discrimination. As some other poster said before, if I were a millennial the subject wouldn't even come up. I've decided to follow some good advice received here and turn the question around to the interviewer by asking what specific trait of millennials they're talking about. Then I can be prepared to answer with specifics regarding timeliness, emotions, or any other aspects of their behavior.

Edited by JFReyes
  • Like 2
GunslingerRoland
In my case, I live in Puerto Rico which has a latin culture even though it's part of the USA. I have to add that distinction to the answer I give to the question.

That is a really important fact, and so I don't know how the culture differed for people growing up in Puerto Rico over the last 35 years as compared to North America.

Did people grow up with computers in the same way? Did the culture move to more of a gentler way of raising kids (less punishment, more participation trophies)? Also you are going to have a tougher time researching the topic as what I've seen largely focuses on America as the whole concept of the generations is very American focused.

• Author
That is a really important fact, and so I don't know how the culture differed for people growing up in Puerto Rico over the last 35 years as compared to North America.

Our culture has become more americanized and integrated with the US over the past 35 years but some differences remain, such as Spanish being the main language.

Did people grow up with computers in the same way? Did the culture move to more of a gentler way of raising kids (less punishment, more participation trophies)?

Yes and yes.

Also you are going to have a tougher time researching the topic as what I've seen largely focuses on America as the whole concept of the generations is very American focused.

Maybe so, but still many things will apply as I only have to concentrate on software developer millennials, and the US rules the software development culture here.

The interesting thing is that some of the companies that actually provide the things that people are laughing at millennials for requiring (work-life balance, flexible hours, flexible structure, mental health days) are some of the most profitable companies in the world. Google and Facebook are two notable examples, among many lesser-known tech companies. I work for one of the largest organizations in the world (not a corporation, but still a household name) and I get all of these and more.

So clearly, the things that "those spoilt millennials want" are not necessarily mutually exclusive with profitability or growth. You know, those two things that all corporations strive for.

Is it a badge of honor or something, for a company to enforce strict hours and a strict hierarchical structure with no concern for employee well-being, while producing less stellar results? One of those, "Well back in MY day I tilled the fields from dawn to dusk with nothing other than my bare hands and a hoe!" things?

• Like 1

So clearly, the things that "those spoilt millennials want"

A very good discussion/opinion..I've seen it before.. maybe from here on LS

Simon Sinek on Millennials in the Workplace

GunslingerRoland
I would prefer not to call it scientific, myself, but it is a sociological term, and sociology is a science, so that is why I made that statement. Anyway, thank you and JFReyes for taking the time to help me understand this term. I think it is finally getting through to me. With that said, JFReyes, it does sound like a strange question to me as well. Maybe they are just trying to ask how you would approach working in a managerial position over a lot of young people - as if they are trying to see if the age-gap might be an issue. And that is your opportunity to show them that it is not, and in fact, beneficial?

Sociology is a social science.

Social sciences are very different from the other sciences, because even though they have some things in common with the hard sciences, such as performing experiments, verifying results, etc. There are no absolute laws that apply across the board to people the way it does to other things handled by science.

Gravity can be scientifically described in all of the ways it works, same with chemical reactions. You put a set of chemicals together in the exact same way 10 million times, it'll have the same result 10 million times.

You do any sociological experiment with a group of people you'll get at least a slightly different result with the next group of people.

Because people are each individual they aren't like a chemical or a piece of matter that can be exactly quantified and described.

I can be sociologically put into the Generation X category, but I have a million other personality traits that affect me as well.

MonkeyLogic

I manage a lot of millennials and I'd say they are likely similar to many cohorts in that there are some excellent workers, some poor workers, and the vast majority are average.

The excellent workers don't worry too much about things like mental health days, flexible hours and schedules, or they like. They work hard regardless of what is going on. You can't really do much about people that are lazy either. They will be poor workers regardless of the environment. You show your worth as a manager when you can get the most from your average workers. I find that this takes a balanced approached (i.e. balancing the needs of the company with the needs of the employee). Most of the time average employees stay average, but once in awhile, you can get a breakthrough and have them excel.

Redguitar35
I have found thru employing a more than a few millennial's that it is hard to find out what motivates them besides their FB status and social media.

They do seem to think they have a right to have their phone at their desk and check/text all day long while on the clock.

I have a coworker who is in her late 40s and is making roughly twice what I make. Every time I walk into her office she's on Facebook. Every time. Screwing around on social media when you're supposed to be working is not strictly a millennial phenomenon.

Edited by Redguitar35

I've been a manager in several of my roles, I'm not currently a manager but due to the nature of my role I 'manage' people across the business of all ages and levels.

I don't see any particular problem with millennials - less than a handful of them are lazy - even then I only see them going on FB or anything similar late on a Friday - by which time we've all burned out a bit from a tough week.

There are more than a handful of folk though in their 40's and 50's who do the following:

Chatter all day long about celebrities, TV shows and all and any personal info about colleagues and ex colleagues.

Go off sick if someone upsets them.

Go on shopping sprees and days out when they are 'off sick'.

Go on FB or news sites during work hours.

Take a lunch break and go into town only to come back and take another lunch break to eat their lunch whilst trying to hide that they are on FB or similar and pretending to work.

One lady (mid 40's) a couple of weeks ago spent almost an hour reading off to her desk buddy (late 50's) each and every member of the BBC who was on the top 100 highest salary list which she found on the internet. Along with reading it all off they both discussed each one.

Another lady (40's) reads off and discusses expenses receipts of food people have purchased when she analyses expenses. Lunches and dinners are valid and included up to £25 so reading all of the items out isn't necessary.

They also take holiday days at crucial times - the last reason was a lady who said she needed to catch up with her hovering - course, she gave the boss signing it off a totally different reason.

None of these folk happen to be under any remit of mine, otherwise I would say something. All I can do is chase them up on things which they haven't yet done - funny, they are always behind with deadlines. As long as I get the stuff I need and my boss needs done (which requires constant chasing even though they have a tick list of deadlines and have had for 10+ years) then it's up to my boss to do something about he amount of time they waste every day.

So yeah, certainly in my company it's the older ones who appear to be harder for managers to manage and motivate.

• Author
I don't see any particular problem with millennials - less than a handful of them are lazy - even then I only see them going on FB or anything similar late on a Friday - by which time we've all burned out a bit from a tough week.

Me neither; they're people like everyone else and should be supervised according to their individual strengths and weaknesses. The reason for my OP is that it seems it's not a satisfactory answer to a hiring manager's question during an interview. I'd like further suggestions. Thanks.

Screwing around on social media when you're supposed to be working is not strictly a millennial phenomenon.

No it isn't but this thread is...and it is something I have encountered hiring them.

Redguitar35
No it isn't but this thread is...and it is something I have encountered hiring them.

And your point is what exactly? That we shouldn't hire millennials because you've seen a few checking their twitter feed?

And your point is what exactly? That we shouldn't hire millennials because you've seen a few checking their twitter feed?

The millennial struggle for employers is a REAL one, documented and studied... while there are some non millennials that also fit the mold it is small in comparison to the number of millennials who do

Redguitar35
The millennial struggle for employers is a REAL one, documented and studied... while there are some non millennials that also fit the mold it is small in comparison to the number of millennials who do

Again, you're suggesting we shouldn't hire anyone under 35 if we can help it?

I think the way to answer the question the interviewer put to the OP would be to say, "I would handle the millennial worker the same as any other age group - with respect and professionalism - instead of treating them like tall children." Since this is an industry that will require him to work with and get along with younger workers extensively they were probably screening him for the kind of attitudes you clearly seem to have about this subset of workers.

• Like 1

SCIF - style facilities, not difficult in my industry. Between the machinery, high voltage grid and metal buildings, EM interference is high and mobile phones don't work well, or at all, inside.

There's the miracle of the landline phone to conduct business, and the hard-wired network to the company server to process all those work orders and sales invoices. ;)

Issue phone, track phone; issue vehicle, track vehicle. Right to work state. Draw the acceptable amount of corruption and abuse line and terminate any or all who exceed it.

I feel for those in the electron industry. In mine when hands are busy and death is close by, self-preservation generally ensures focus. Or Darwin wins and we all move on.

One question I'd ask is how does the military handle millennials. It's got scores of them. What would Mattis do? ;)

Again, you're suggesting we shouldn't hire anyone under 35 if we can help it?

No... in my company we try to hire under 35..

We being older and getting closer to retirement everyday we want our company to be stocked with young people.

That they come with struggles doesn't mean we don't hire them but we have fired them for their struggles.

• Author
I think the way to answer the question the interviewer put to the OP would be to say, "I would handle the millennial worker the same as any other age group - with respect and professionalism - instead of treating them like tall children."

I like it, thanks for the suggestion.