My boss dislikes me

• Author
don't talk to me
Your boss sounds awful and I don't want to downplay that. But the above might explain a lot about her dislike of you. You may be new to the office world, but there are a lot of admin tasks that take place in most offices which have nothing to do with the daily work you do, but still need to get done. Sure there are law offices and such where there are assistants galore, but those situations are rare. Especially as the brand new junior person it shouldn't have been any surprise to get those types of tasks.

At my office we mostly make over 6 figures, and yet we still need to keep our own kitchen clean, empty the dishwasher. I've had tasks where my job was literally to go through paper work and take out staples, hole punch it and put it into binders.

Yearly goals are things you want to try to improve on, and while good leaders will try to make sure you get some experience in those things, that doesn't mean that is going to be 100% of your job. Sometimes those opportunities don't come up at all in a given year.

I keep reading articles about millennials who walk into the work force and expect to be the CEO on their first day on the job and your post is screaming that to a certain extent.

I doubt you cleaned the kitchen and took out staples 90% of the day during the first months of your job. As I said trust and commitment is a two way street. Most people are dispensable, sure, but so are most companies. You say that millennials want to be the CEO. No. We just know better that this is not the way to excel and we know that this is totally inefficient after a point. If my company doesn't care to exploit my skills (in a good way) and doesn't care to develop me I may do so in my own time. Then the next company will benefit for free while my current company sponsored me by paying me in gold to do admin.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Author
don't talk to me

She keeps excluding me from meetings and conversations and I don't get any updates about company/department activity. I have to prod and ask all the time.

I have an interview with another company next week. They gave me a creative mini project to discuss in the interview. Even if I don't succeed I'm happy to have someone picking on my brain a bit. I will take a sick day off to attend. I deserve it. I worked 2 whole days' worth overtime (unpaid) these last two weeks. On things I shouldn't be doing of course.

thefooloftheyear

Didn't read the whole thread....Just wanted to give a boss' perspective...

I've been a boss for almost 27 years now...Just remember this...We are all just human's like anyone else...As such, there are going to be people that you like and some you don't...Some of my most valued employees, I wouldn't give the time of day to on the street...And they probably know it...If that aspect bothers them, then they probably would/should quit and some have..

Your underlings/employees aren't your kids where you have to adore them unconditionally....The important thing though is that they all be treated fairly...Praise them on good work...Don't be selective in how you admonish...

OP...If you take the personality out of it, then objectively look at the situation...If you still feel like you aren't being treated fairly, then its a situation that needs attention on your part...Bring it up to someone in HR, call a meeting with your direct supervisor, or leave the job altogether...Sometimes its not anything more than a "bad fit", and nothing about performance or acumen...

TFY

I doubt you cleaned the kitchen and took out staples 90% of the day during the first months of your job.

Yep, I have, at the majority of the jobs I've ever held. The way I've looked at it is: Gotta pay your dues. Do whatever is needed (cheerfully!), regardless whether the task is what you were hired to do or not. When you're new, you can't afford to be picky about the tasks you've been assigned. But there's a hidden benefit to doing those tasks - it really gives you a good look at the underbelly of the company, and you come to understand the inner workings (and the players) a lot better than most people who have been there for years. That knowledge becomes valuable later on when you (and your reputation) becomes more established at the company.

It's also wise (and self-beneficial) to honor the human aspect of working with others of all personality types. My "golden rule" of business - Always always always make your boss look good, even if you don't like him/her. From the get-go you have to convince your boss that you've got their back, and consistently show that to them in your actions.

And always keep in mind, it's not what you say or do that people remember about you. It's how you made them FEEL that sticks with them years down the road.

As I said trust and commitment is a two way street. Most people are dispensable' date=' sure, but so are most companies.[/quote']

You are absolutely correct in that. If you're unhappy, get another job! Just don't burn any bridges during the process.

You say that millennials want to be the CEO. No. We just know better that this is not the way to excel and we know that this is totally inefficient after a point. If my company doesn't care to exploit my skills (in a good way) and doesn't care to develop me I may do so in my own time. Then the next company will benefit for free while my current company sponsored me by paying me in gold to do admin.

Really? You know better than others with years/decades more experience than you? Pride & arrogance goeth before a fall. I would carefully rethink that attitude. I thought I knew it all too when I was younger, and I just KNEW I could do it better if only I was in charge. Experience has taught me otherwise. There are always understandable reasons why people do the things they do. First seek to understand.