Deleted my Facebook a month ago and life has been awesome.

pureinheart

Here's hoping OP doesn't mind my rant concerning FB. I'm fed up with it. Fed up with the constant drama, the fake way over-the-top sensationalized 'news', and people not stopping short of needing to communicate every single thing they do continuously. It's disturbing IMO.

One recent incident has completely opened my eyes to the harm people cause ... it's just not right, you know? Is FB pulling out every single crazy, or is the crazy just more apparent?

• Like 3
Here's hoping OP doesn't mind my rant concerning FB. I'm fed up with it. Fed up with the constant drama, the fake way over-the-top sensationalized 'news', and people not stopping short of needing to communicate every single thing they do continuously. It's disturbing IMO.

One recent incident has completely opened my eyes to the harm people cause ... it's just not right, you know? Is FB pulling out every single crazy, or is the crazy just more apparent?

I honestly reckon SM is bad for people. Too many thinking they're special when in fact they're so opposite.

This thread makes me want to delete it now!

• Like 1
LivingWaterPlease

FB, LOL, 'nuff said!

Too many ads.

Too many selfies.

Poor little kids who will grow up with millions of embarrassing photos of themselves in cyber space they had no control as to whether they were put out there or not.

And, yet, I like seeing photos of folks from long ago I'd never see otherwise and keeping up with what friends are up to!

meta.morphate
Hats off to you, meta.morphate! :cool:

That's a great idea; don't know if I'd have the guts.

I tried deactivating my page prior to that, but it didn't really last ... I also deleted the app from my phone, so I'd have to actually be sitting at a computer to use FB and couldn't receive any messages/notifications ... so it was small steps, but really, FB was consuming a lot of my time and was contributing to unhealthy feelings and obsessions in my life. Now, I hardly think of it. I just feel so much more satisfied and calm in my life.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I deactivated it about two-three weeks ago without any fanfare. Not one person has mentioned anything, or contacted me about it!

Recent pangs of lonliness have made me want to check in, but i don't think i will. Mark Zuckerberg from crapbook and Co. only want your money - you are nothing more than a target to them, it is completely dehumanising, yet the majority of people continue to decline their social skills and lose their dignity over it.

Edited by Soak
I don't miss it one bit. I leave for Japan in a couple weeks so I may give in then....but man life has been awesome not always wondering what other people are thinking all the time. O_o

Why do you hate it? I love stalking old friends on FB, but I'm guilty for never ever posting a word/picture there. Never. I use it for private messaging all the time but obviously the only people that know are the ones I message :lmao:.

I always thought it is ridiculous to post your dinner or duckface or picture with a dude on FB or whatever other s*it people post but since I'm not doing it and I'm pretty good at extracting relevant information, the rest is ... background.

• 1 month later...
foreverdancer

Yeah, staying away from FB is really refreshing! Although I can't deactivate mine because I have important school stuff posted there that I need to check on, I restricted my FB use by deleting the app on my phone. I'm not tempted to check FB any more than once or twice a day. When I'm on it, it's usually just to check important notifications. I swear, I never find myself scrolling down a bunch of crap I could care less about for more than a minute or two. I just can't stand being on FB for too long because there's too much oversharing, drama, and headache-inducing political posts.

Its been about 4 months for me i quit fb and im also ditching my smartphone. Ive ordered a flip phone which i ll only use to make calls and texts thats about it. I see so many people looking down at their screen, i want to live and look up at the stars!!!

• Like 1

I hate facebook because of the trending news and people comments

Most of them are nasty and cruel.

But no, I didn't remove it yet.

I removed Instagram which was my favorite until it turned too political for me.

I think that people will stay in contact with those folks they really want to have contact with, it doesn't have to be Facebook. Like, when I graduated from high school, all my classmates were up in tears ("we will never see each other again like this"), while I didn't really care; I'd stay in contact with those people I actually liked, the rest were just acquaintances.

The little funny thing about FB -for me- is how bad it is at advertising towards me. They seem merely to show ads my FB friends might like. Big data, you know

I'll admit to spending more time on FB than is good for me.

However I don't think I'll ever deactivate as I have a lot of friends overseas and who move around a lot, and FB is by far the best way of keeping in contact with them. With Messenger I can message or call anyone I've added without needing their phone number, and it's easy to get to friends of friends. It is also a lot easier to set up events on FB than to try and message 10, 15 people (but perhaps that's just anxiety).

I do agree that there is an element of toxicity in the way it is used by most people, and I can see why people delete it. I just try my best to use it in the way that was intended - to connect with others, and I feel it would be more difficult if I removed FB as an avenue to do so. Sure there are people I have as "friends" who I haven't spoken to for a while, but sometimes you never know when they'll pop up in your life again... it has happened with a few people I know!

• Author
I hate facebook because of the trending news and people comments

Most of them are nasty and cruel.

But no, I didn't remove it yet.

I removed Instagram which was my favorite until it turned too political for me.

Instagram? Political...?

• Like 1

Do you think that one is worse than the other or both just as bad in terms of ruining relationships and making people feel bad / compare themselves to others?

Do you think that one is worse than the other or both just as bad in terms of ruining relationships and making people feel bad / compare themselves to others?

Both is equally bad. If you are promoting your business or doing things that elevate you to your higher being all is well.

However people use these platforms for their EGO purposes only...

• Like 2