Why does cancer get worse after diagnosis?

• Author

I appreciate everyone's input. So my uncle died a week ago. I'm not allowed to talk about it on Facebook because it's "not what he'd have wanted", so I guess Imma just bottle it up.

Doesn't mean that you can't talk to family and friends.

You could always post about it on these forums also.

• Like 1

I've been currently working on tools for real-world evidence - one application is looking at incidence / prevalence of cancer types at claims data from different age groups... This approach may help of course considering that data is not too biased by undiagnosed patients in some age groups...

No_Go,

I understand all that. The information you've shared is common knowledge. My issue goes beyond the current guidelines and what and how you can improve your chances of preventing cancer.

1. Nothing will 'save' you from cancer, but eating healthier and exercising will certainly help. Genetics aside, our environmental exposure makes a HUGE difference, albeit, not a guarantee.

2. I certainly understand the mammogram and density of breast tissue. I mention the age factor not b/c it is not based on research, some standard of measure, rather, the age recommendations have placed too many people in jeopardy. This is, for me, directly related to my earlier post regarding the slow progress of safe® diagnostic tools. Having been in research for a number of years, we do not spend enough time in diagnostics to add to a preventative-oriented form of medicine.

I'm sorry for your loss :(

I appreciate everyone's input. So my uncle died a week ago. I'm not allowed to talk about it on Facebook because it's "not what he'd have wanted", so I guess Imma just bottle it up.
  • Like 1

I've survived cancer twice. Knowing about it doesn't worsen it. Chemo is a godsend for those of us who want to actually live.

Boiling sunflowers and dancing under the stars did not keep me from dying. My doctor and my treatments did.

End of story.

• Like 1
I read the abstract:

Would you care to explain what any of this has to do with cancer? This article is talking about lymphatic vessels in the CNS, and neuroinflammatory/neurodegenerative diseases. It has nothing to do with cancer at all (even if you include various types of brain cancer, none are considered inflammatory/degenerative).

It was relative to the brain and body connect, rather than specifically pointing to cancer. But, are you aware of this 2010 finding, that of cancer driving scleroderma which is considered an autoimmune disease?

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/38557/title/A-Cancer-Culprit-in-Autoimmunity/

I'm no expert but there's obviously more to this than is presently known.

More.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3349285/

Conclusion

Evidence demonstrates that chronic inflammation and autoimmunity are associated with the development of malignancy. Additionally, patients with a primary malignancy may develop autoimmune like disease. These relationships imply a need for surveillance of patients on immunomodulatory therapies for potential secondary disease processes.

Edited by anduina