Opposite Sex Friends/Friends With Exes FAQs: Is It Possible? Can/Should I Do It?

Just use good old common sense.

There are exs I would remain friends with them and other I would not. There is no 'one answer fits all'. When I met my bf I let go of a very close male friend of mine of 4 years. Him and I were very close like Will & Grace type of close and I knew it would hurt my relationship so I had to make a difficult choice. On the other hand I have kept exs as friend with no problem because although we had liked each other we had never been deep in love so the friendships did just fine.

• Like 1

This is the way I am. When I get into my next romantic relationship. My lady will have to accept my female/male friends as they are. Now if I meet a new woman who wants to be friends. Then thats a different story.

My male/female friends are on par with each other.

Truth be told. The only 2 that I feel are close to me. One is 66 to my 46 in terms of age. The other one is like a sister to me and she is 45 and she lives in the US to my Canada.

i

Everyone else just take them as they are.

• Like 1
  • Author
This is the way I am. When I get into my next romantic relationship. My lady will have to accept my female/male friends as they are. Now if I meet a new woman who wants to be friends. Then thats a different story.

My male/female friends are on par with each other.

Truth be told. The only 2 that I feel are close to me. One is 66 to my 46 in terms of age. The other one is like a sister to me and she is 45 and she lives in the US to my Canada.

i

Everyone else just take them as they are.

I don't think it matters even if it is a new friend. Yeah you met a new girl and made a good friendship with her. So what? Who says we're not allowed to meet new people JUST because we are in a relationship with somebody. Bottom line. You trust your partner or you don't. Now, if my partner say was spending a lot of time with this new male friend she had, while at the same time neglecting me, THEN I'll have something to say. It's not so much the fact that she spends lots of time with him, but more or less isn't including me as well. Now that's not to say they cant spend time alone at all, but yeah. Just don't be doing it all the time whilst at the same time neglecting me.

Honestly what if your partner was bisexual? Does that automatically mean they can't make any new friends period, yet alone have any friends at all? People have such a hard time grasping this concept and seem to get pissed off at me for constantly advocating it, but seriously, I feel this is an issue that really could use some enlightenment. You don't learn these things in school, really. If your partner wants to cheat, they'll do it regardless if you order them not to have opposite gender friends. Maybe if they actually learned to trust their partner and give them the freedom they deserve they would have less of a chance of being cheated on. But alas, I am just an ******* on the internet, so my opinion is merely full of **** I guess. :p

Edited by ZayKayWill

Generally, friends of the opposite sex? Easy. The majority of my close friends are female, wouldn't have it any other way. I find it just a bit easier to open up to them than to male friends (it shouldn't be that way, I'm working on it though).

• Like 1
  • Author
Generally, friends of the opposite sex? Easy. The majority of my close friends are female, wouldn't have it any other way. I find it just a bit easier to open up to them than to male friends (it shouldn't be that way, I'm working on it though).

Why do you have that problem?

Why do you have that problem?

I'm actually not completely sure, it's probably more a habit but generally most of the guys I meet are not very open when it comes to mental health and relationship issues, and unfortunately see it as a lack of "manliness" so I've had this fear of talking about it. I'm also not very good at the typical male things like talking/playing sports, chasing girls, talking cars etc so in the past I've found it harder to relate to the classic "dudebro" culture, and it's just been a lot easier to make female friends as typical interests have just matched a lot better.

I know that all sounds stereotypical but it's been the experience over much of my life... I'm aware that the reality now is very different which is why I'm working on it :)

• Like 1