SINGLE recovering alcoholic success stories

amaysngrace

I come from a family of alcoholics on my mom's side and I use to always think they were "fun" but the older I am the more their dysfunction becomes obvious to me.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
NotAsCoolAsIThink

I think this theory you have about singledom being some sort of impediment to recovery is just misguided. I came into the program single and have over four years now. I think probably at least half of people who make an attempt to get sober are single. When I came into AA I quickly felt welcomed by the people there and was able to make friends. This provided me with a level of companionship that helped. Obviously it wasn't romantic, but I still had a support structure. Eventually, I did find a girlfriend in the rooms, though we no longer see each other. I have dated outside the rooms as well and it has been pretty successful.

Bottom Line: Being single does not decrease the odds that you'll stay sober. I really don't see any basis for that.

Good luck.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
There isn't a person I dated who didn't know either on Date 1,2 or before the Date.. and I dated a lot.

There also isn't very many people who I meet that as soon as they get close to me learn that I'm an Alcoholic...

I have never hidden it and certainly am not embarrassed about it, if anything I'm somewhat proud of my accomplishment and also proud of who I have become being sober.

IMO, if an Alcoholic wants to drink they might hide who they are, part of the denial process.

Sure, other people notice fast enough they are while they swear to god they are not and there's always some other person or friends of them who's the real drunk.

So, yeah to the last paragraph which was the point I was making first ie the denial process.

Actually, a lot of times getting sober will actually make a person drop their committed relationship because it triggers them to drink. My best friend got sober and divorced her first husband because he just sat around being a stoner and wouldn't help with housework or really even bills very much. So once she sobered up, she wouldn't put up with that.

She did most of her sobriety after moving to another town, though she leapfrogged husbands and found a replacement who she's still married to but I'm pretty sure he triggers her too because he's aggravating. Not sure how supportive either of them were. Pretty sure the first one was not.

Sobriety is something you kind of have to do alone but with a sponsor who is just a more experienced person in recovery. You sometimes have to get some new friends and let some go. Good luck with everything.