Worried about my bfs mental health [UPDATED: boyfriend is in the hospital]

Sounds like he offered you a way out. I would take it if I were you. He's giving you a golden ticket to peaceville. The decision is yours, will you take it?

• Like 2

Hi there,

you must be exosted dealing with your boyfriend's mental disorder or illnes and you have no idea what is going on.

I think you are a loving, caring, responsable gf. You worried about him terribly when his own mom didn't.

It can just be a result of weed abuse. My friends daughter smoked huge amount of weed every day, liked how her thoughts were floating she said. After a cuple of months she was in a mental institution, diagnosed with something like immature personality disorder. Not so serious afterall, considering that she thought her mom is trying to kill her...

Your options:

-walk away (I don't think so, you love him too much)

-suport him even when it hurts and wait for diagnosis, learn everything about it and then decide...

Even if you leave him right away, it doesn't make you a bad person. It means that you choose healthier decision.

take care

Why is your BF in the hospital? Is it for the outbursts that worried you or did something else happen?

The fact that he's being rude & telling you that nothing you to is right is very troubling. Stick around at your own peril. He may not be in his right mind. But at your young age, this is not your battle to fix.

Only family can stay in the hospital 24/7. You had to go home. You also have other obligations including to your parent whose birthday it was. You did the right thing.

You are being a supportive as possible. If that is not enough, I don't know what to tell you besides that your BF is being very selfish. He may be scared.

• Like 1

It does sound like Schizophrenia, complicated by the fact that he was using/recently stopped using marijuana - which may have been used as a form of self medication for the emerging symptoms mental illness or it may have triggered or contributed to the worsening symptoms of mental illness.

Either way, he needs hospitalization. This is not a good thing. Some people with serious mental illness can take medication and lead a healthy and productive life. Those with more serious illness, or those who do not stay on their medication which is a common occurrence for individuals with mental illness, can have more difficulty living a productive and healthy life. In the very worst case scenario, he has the potential to behave violently towards others and you need to be aware of that risk.

I hope he gets the medical assistance he needs. For you, don't fall into the trap of codependent behavior - thinking that you love him and you can "help" him. What you are describing is a serious mental illness and you need to prepare yourself that this relationship may not be a stable, healthy, or long term relationship for you.

Edited by BaileyB

I'm so glad to hear he is now in the hospital.

Look everyone gets mad about any type of intervention, but this one was necessary. Let him be mad. Avoid him if you want until he settles down. Call his family to check on his well being if they're comfortable with that.

He is obviously having some real delusional problems, so it is true that now he may get paranoid about you and everyone else because delusion and paranoia often go hand in hand, though not always. Be sure you've reported his behavior to the doctors. They will not talk to you because it's unethical and you're not family, but you can always type something up and ask a nurse to deliver it to the doctor.

Don't worry about him being mad. And if he begins getting mental help, lots of times they will cut off visitors because it does just keep people who are already mental stirred up and they need them to concentrate.

Please keep us updated. I'm very glad he is getting help. Turn him over to the professionals and wait and see what happens. Hope he gets better.