What are you doing to get in shape?

kiss_andmakeup

I've always been skinny but for the first time in my life I am actually fit and have some muscle on me! I work with a personal trainer 2x/week, do a 40-minute cardio and core class 2x/week, and workout on my own (usually running and lifting) 2x/week. This is in addition to a generally active lifestyle (I am on my feet all day at work and my husband and I like to walk, golf, and ride bikes in our leisure time).

I've actually gained 5lbs since beginning my current workout schedule, but I was underweight before, and I'm pretty sure the extra weight is muscle since my clothes are fitting better than ever. :)

Im in a town with no gyms and definitely no martial arts which used to keep me in shape. Im unfit for first time in years after six months of eating a lot and drinking a lot and have definitely put on weight.

Ive been focussing on bodyweight exercises in my unit and in this park where they have soccer goal posts which I hang off:). So planks, squats, sit ups, press ups, light jogging, pull ups and chin ups just for 20 mins every day at the moment, rotating exercises by day.

I think in a couple weeks Ill be able to increase the time and start to do more high intensity stuff like burpees, sprints and add in skipping, but for now as Im getting fitness back this suits me fine.

That is good advice....do what works for you. Everyone has a different

body type, metabolism, etc. Find the groove that works for you and

stick to it. DON'T Forget the abs they require specialized work it is beach

time and surfing time

I think pretty much everything works. For me. However I started out doing exactly what was preached and did so for years. Chest day, back day, leg day and rest or something similar. Hitting major muscle groups, barely doing any isolation crap. Now I do whatever and no doubt it'd be considered overtraining.

I see too many people just wasting their time in the gym. Guys and girls with little to no muscle mass doing only isolation junk and abs. Come on man, you're like 50+ pounds into the morbidly obese range, don't worry about doing 1000 ab crunches a day or how many different ways you can do a bicep curl to really get that muscle to peak.

• Like 1

I made rules for myself... no shower unless I've spent an hour exercising. That keeps me in shape because I have to shower every day. It doesn't work for everybody but staying active no matter what it is (i.e. running, weight lifting, spin class, yoga, boxing, diving) for at least a solid hour every day is effective for me.

Crossfit 2-3 x a week

Running 2-3 x a week

I've also started to try adding in weights twice a week on the days I run, but it's hard to coordinate that with the crossfit workouts, because I usually don't know what the workout is going to be the next day.

My main nemesis is my diet. It's so hard for me to eat healthy when I have all kinds of unhealthy food tempting me.

Miss Peach

On another thread someone mentioned Mike Matthews and I've been doing his weight lifting routines. I haven't dropped much weight but I can see my muscles now popping out all over my body.

Since it's winter in the US, what are you doing to get in or stay in shape since it's cold outside?

Me: Workout and lift 3-4x a week

Hot yoga 3x a week

You?

I swim every day before work. Kickboxing 2x week, weights 2x week, bike ride 2x week. eat well, nuts, meat beans veggies. moderate fruit and carbs. No sugar. wine three times a year and no other alcohol at all:p

• Like 1

Aqulesco- I agree. Healthy nutrition is essential to staying in shape.

Lots of veggies, lean protein, healthy fats.

Lots of yoga.

Lots of playing in the sunshine!!!!

• Like 1
Aqulesco- I agree. Healthy nutrition is essential to staying in shape.

Lots of veggies, lean protein, healthy fats.

Lots of yoga.

Lots of playing in the sunshine!!!!

I forgot sunshine. This is the best shape ive been in since 2002. I have been doing it for a year and feel great

• Like 1

Nothing! I'm going for fat and sassy! :laugh:

I'm pretty much a vegan/vegetarian and I love yoga and walking. Now that the pool is open I'll swim.

And yes plenty of sunshine!

• Like 2
ScienceGal

30-60 minutes of cardio at least 4x a week.

Yoga as much as I can.

Lots of water.

No alcohol during the week.

Low to no carbs at dinner.

8-9 hours of sleep each night.

• Like 1

I do My Fitness Pal and work out several times a week. I'm just now getting into the gym so I haven't tried free weights yet but I plan to next week.

MercuryMorrison1971

I've been doing P90x for 3 and 1/2 years now and it's got me in fantastic shape. I think I'm in better shape than when I ran track in high school. Proper diet and LOT'S of water.

I eat healthy create my own foods from scratch, don't use process foods, keep away from vinegar and oils and if I use oil very lightly. I drink a lot of Rooibos Tea at room temp. I eat a lot of fiber too. My fridge is full of veggies and fruits..

Not into eating dead animals stuff like that. Try to keep everything together. Workout in home gym just need 3 devices or less. I am very strong also.. I've come up with ways to shed pounds in 30 days like 37 lbs. Another method to continue from there. I say I am doing wonderful..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
lostmyshadow

I just got my butt totally kicked at a spartan race. Made me realize that I'm not in as good of shape as I thought. I did 30 burpees yesterday. Gonna do another 30 today. Might start jumping rope. I say maybe because I hardly ever follow through on my workout plans. I really do want to get in better shape so I can do the race again next year and finish it faster (and without suffering as much).

Since it's winter in the US, what are you doing to get in or stay in shape since it's cold outside?

Me: Workout and lift 3-4x a week

Hot yoga 3x a week

You?

I dont do much.

Sit ups in the morning with push ups and some light bar bells to wake me up and I only do it for heart health, and I gave up driving about a decade ago because public transportation can bring me anywhere in the city faster and cheaper.

I wear the same size pants today that I wore 25 years ago...and thats the truth. I eat healthy for the most part. No instant food because I literally cook all my meals and I rarely eat any fast food or eat at any of those big box joints advertised on Tv. I never ate Applebees, Chilis, Longhorn Steakhouse, etc.

Must be me. I like to cook.

I went clubbing last week. Great exercise.

And I do some working out with weights while my son has his P/T

thefooloftheyear
I went clubbing last week. Great exercise.

And I do some working out with weights while my son has his P/T

I'm all for getting in shape, but not at the expense of poor defenseless baby seals....:(

TFY

• Like 5

Climbed two of the highest peaks in the mountain valley. Painful on the way up and even more so on the way down, but worth the views that come with them. Wow.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...