curiouslysearching
I would say the most underrated gym exercise and hardly anyone does it is chest/triceps dips along with pull-ups. If you can't do any of them, there are machines that assist you until you can finally do it on your own.

Look up Buff Dudes on youtube for how to do each properly

For anyone who has not done them, they are difficult for most people

at first. Those were key exercises we used when we were preparing for

our seasons. I always thought they were a true representation of power

and absolute strength

TheTraveler
For anyone who has not done them, they are difficult for most people

at first. Those were key exercises we used when we were preparing for

our seasons. I always thought they were a true representation of power

and absolute strength

I agree with you.

Dips are not a problem at all. Pull-ups give me trouble and this all correlates with how I've been lifting the past three months.

• 2 weeks later...
TunaInTheBrine
The Internet's a crazy place man. I'm getting so much mixed information.

I want to put on some muscle. I'm 6'1 and about 150 pounds. I want to put on some muscle. I'm a really small eater but im working on eating more and drinking more water and everything.

What I don't know is how to start putting on some muscle without gaining any fat. I know I will put on some but I don't want to get like bulky you know. I would like to lean out as I go. I already have some fat around my tummy area a good bit of fat actually.

My previous job was pretty much sitting all day and i never exercised so i got a little fat there.

Im still in a skinny frame though. Because of my height.

I know i need around 2700 + calories. Also is 5*5 strength program something good to start.? To gain strentgh and get comfortable lifting.

So much people has different ideas im confused a bit. A friend of mine has a personal gym . there's no trainers there for me to ask. The up side is its free :).

I'm also doing a little training to become a police officer. So everyday I do a little push ups and sit ups. Like a mile run also.

Can I do all this and still put on muscle ( with the 5x5 program) and 2700+ calories.

Yeah, there are as many workout and fitness regimens as there are people who practice them. I find it most useful to follow popular general guidelines and principles, and then experiment with the rest until I figure out how to meet my needs over time.

I think you can definitely put on some muscle and still do cardio/burn fat. I have a thin-average build and so struggle with a similar issue to yours. I typically do 4-5 days a week in the gym for 75 minutes a piece. I find that doing mostly free weight training works for me, and once or twice a week I'll do a 25 minute walk at moderate pace on an inclined treadmill and then hit my abs for 15 minutes afterward. When I don't hit the treadmill then I find I get a little less defined in the midsection, even when I still do abs. Proper food and sleep also affects me greatly.

I also dance about 4 nights a week and for several hours at a time, so I burn a lot of calories in the evening (sometimes as many as 1600 in a single night!). It has only mild-moderate impact on my muscle. As long as I'm pumping iron, I won't never have muscle. Maybe a little less of it, but it's not bad. So you can definitely do cardio and keep muscle.

In sum: Exercise as early in the day as possible between 60-90 minutes on a regimen that is tailored to your needs. Eat super healthy in the right amounts and at the right times during the day. Drink lots of water. Get enough sleep. That's it.

Edited by TunaInTheBrine
  • Like 1
curiouslysearching
Yeah, there are as many workout and fitness regimens as there are people who practice them. I find it most useful to follow popular general guidelines and principles, and then experiment with the rest until I figure out how to meet my needs over time.

I think you can definitely put on some muscle and still do cardio/burn fat. I have a thin-average build and so struggle with a similar issue to yours. I typically do 4-5 days a week in the gym for 75 minutes a piece. I find that doing mostly free weight training works for me, and once or twice a week I'll do a 25 minute walk at moderate pace on an inclined treadmill and then hit my abs for 15 minutes afterward. When I don't hit the treadmill then I find I get a little less defined in the midsection, even when I still do abs. Proper food and sleep also affects me greatly.

I also dance about 4 nights a week and for several hours at a time, so I burn a lot of calories in the evening (sometimes as many as 1600 in a single night!). It has only mild-moderate impact on my muscle. As long as I'm pumping iron, I won't never have muscle. Maybe a little less of it, but it's not bad. So you can definitely do cardio and keep muscle.

In sum: Exercise as early in the day as possible between 60-90 minutes on a regimen that is tailored to your needs. Eat super healthy in the right amounts and at the right times during the day. Drink lots of water. Get enough sleep. That's it.

Burn those calories and keep that body in motion

I can certainly help. When I started lifting years ago I was 135lbs at 5'7". I'm now around 205lbs at obviously the same height and about 9% body fat.

Building muscle takes a lot of time. If you're just starting out don't go too crazy. Learn how to lift PROPERLY before going heavy. I would spend the first few months just learning the proper dynamics. After you get that down you can start adding weight. Be careful not to go too heavy too soon because your tendons won't be strong enough yet and you risk getting injured.

You can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time without "supplements" so typically you should be thinking of a bulk and cut phase. During the bulk you need to be eating CONSTANTLY. 2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. Stay away from cardio and just focus on eating and training. It's a slow process and if you can gain 5-15lbs of muscle PER YEAR you're doing great. Once you hit your genetic max it will be hard to gain anything beyond that.

curiouslysearching
I can certainly help. When I started lifting years ago I was 135lbs at 5'7". I'm now around 205lbs at obviously the same height and about 9% body fat.

Building muscle takes a lot of time. If you're just starting out don't go too crazy. Learn how to lift PROPERLY before going heavy. I would spend the first few months just learning the proper dynamics. After you get that down you can start adding weight. Be careful not to go too heavy too soon because your tendons won't be strong enough yet and you risk getting injured.

You can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time without "supplements" so typically you should be thinking of a bulk and cut phase. During the bulk you need to be eating CONSTANTLY. 2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. Stay away from cardio and just focus on eating and training. It's a slow process and if you can gain 5-15lbs of muscle PER YEAR you're doing great. Once you hit your genetic max it will be hard to gain anything beyond that.

I agree....it is also important to keep it in mind what you are training for

we trained the sport we played which entailed lots of core strength

and endurance

some might train to purely health reasons, some for appearance reasons

to me, the important thing is to do something that you enjoy and that you can stick with

• 4 weeks later...

Like other people said everyones different and something that would work for one person wouldnt on another.

I was super thin most of my life and 6ft two, and I never exercised. Once I started working out I actually put on about 2 stone in muscle. Not so much with the workouts themselves (largely high intensity bodyweight stuff through boxing), more because my appetite shot up. I have never lifted heavy and although Im not body builder physique my arms did grow significantly (albeit from a very low base)

I started eating breakfast which I never had before. A big big bowl of porridge. That was only significant change, the rest of my diet stayed the same. Years later I looked at nutritional content of porridge and it has quite a lot of protein in it...so yeah I was supplementing my diet without realising it.

A lot of people say you cant get big doing bodyweight stuff. Fair enough it might not work for them. But it did for me, combined with just eating more.

curiouslysearching
Like other people said everyones different and something that would work for one person wouldnt on another.

I was super thin most of my life and 6ft two, and I never exercised. Once I started working out I actually put on about 2 stone in muscle. Not so much with the workouts themselves (largely high intensity bodyweight stuff through boxing), more because my appetite shot up. I have never lifted heavy and although Im not body builder physique my arms did grow significantly (albeit from a very low base)

I started eating breakfast which I never had before. A big big bowl of porridge. That was only significant change, the rest of my diet stayed the same. Years later I looked at nutritional content of porridge and it has quite a lot of protein in it...so yeah I was supplementing my diet without realising it.

A lot of people say you cant get big doing bodyweight stuff. Fair enough it might not work for them. But it did for me, combined with just eating more.

it is very true...everyone is different and each body type is different

The key is to find what works best for you and what your ultimate goals

are....when we trained for our specific sport the goals were speed, agility,

power, endurance

for non-competitive training the goals might be for appearance reasons, weight control, stamina etc....I do think one big thing that some miss is the amount of rest and down time some bodies need

I'm not a meathead, but I used to be a personal trainer (and in a little better shape:)). I'm 6'4" 232lbs at around 10-12% body fat (it's the craft beer, but I'd rather enjoy life).

First step is to determine your goals: Is it strength or physique?

If it's looking schredded with a 6 pack? That's just eating clean and watching your macros. Generally, your calorie intake should be split into thirds--healthy fats, protein, and complex carbs. Here's some guidance:

The 7% Body Fat Diet

But get used to being hungry all the time and running your butt off. Lol.

I think your calorie intake is spot on. Here's a meal plan based on a 2400-3000 calorie diet:

2400-3000 Calorie Meal Plan

Also, drink at least a gallon of water a day to flush your system. Seriously, you have to push it out or you will retain subcutaneous water, and it will make you look bloated.

If its strength. Do a lot deadlifts, squats, power cleans, and benches. Do lower reps with heavy weight. Give yourself sufficient rest and your going to have to up your calorie intake a bit and store some extra fat to provide you the energy to throw that weight around. But you're not going to get that beach body. You're going to like a dude named "Magnus" with a turtle shell gut because your abs and obliques are so over trained they will bulge.

But if goal is looking like an underwear model; it's all diet and cardio to keep your body fat around 7%.

Edited by OneLov
  • 2 weeks later...
Miss Peach

Someone on another thread mentioned Mike Matthew so I looked into his stuff and bought his book for women. He has a men's one too. It's basically about lifting using compound exercises (i.e., squat, bench press, dead lift) using heavy weights and low reps. I've seen a huge improvement in my muscles. I'm starting to incorporate more and more of his diet advice now too.

He says to bulk you will have to gain some fat but not as much as some sources say. A lot of it can be done with watching your macros on top of your workout.