Ex of 5 Years Emotionally Cheated and Left Me For Him - Stunned!

I'm sorry for what you're going through. I think I can sorta relate to your ex, not in the getting involved with another dude part, but the part that she was too young. No matter how mature one may seem, everybody needs to grow at their own pace. She spent most of her "developing" years in a serious relationship with you, and may now feel like she needs to grow on her own. Of course getting involved with another dude isn't gonna help her grow, but I seriously think the reason for her leaving is not that she likes this dude that much; she's just looking for an easy way out of the relationship, finding another distraction to not think about her own confusion about where she is in life. Trust me, I've been there. I wanted out of a long-term relationship because I felt suffocated and that I didn't have a chance to grow. The difference was I stayed single for years because I needed that time to be alone and learning who I was. Of course my ex was of no fault through this matter and I would never speak about him in any manner other than the kind and respectful one, so it was wrong of her to do that.

In a way situations like yours make me feel guilty about what I did, breaking up a relationship that was, for the most part, good. There was no cheating, jealousy, or even drama. I just wasn't ready for the commitment, and neither was your ex. You deserve better than having to wait around for someone trying to find out what they want, and as much as it hurts now, it's better for you in the long run.

Edited by niji
  • Author
Cornelius_Smiff
I'm sorry for what you're going through. I think I can sorta relate to your ex, not in the getting involved with another dude part, but the part that she was too young. No matter how mature one may seem, everybody needs to grow at their own pace. She spent most of her "developing" years in a serious relationship with you, and may now feel like she needs to grow on her own. Of course getting involved with another dude isn't gonna help her grow, but I seriously think the reason for her leaving is not that she likes this dude that much; she's just looking for an easy way out of the relationship, finding another distraction to not think about her own confusion about where she is in life. Trust me, I've been there. I wanted out of a long-term relationship because I felt suffocated and that I didn't have a chance to grow. The difference was I stayed single for years because I needed that time to be alone and learning who I was. Of course my ex was of no fault through this matter and I would never speak about him in any manner other than the kind and respectful one, so it was wrong of her to do that.

In a way situations like yours make me feel guilty about what I did, breaking up a relationship that was, for the most part, good. There was no cheating, jealousy, or even drama. I just wasn't ready for the commitment, and neither was your ex. You deserve better than having to wait around for someone trying to find out what they want, and as much as it hurts now, it's better for you in the long run.

Thank you Niji, You have explained it in such a positive way. The irony is, as much as it would still hurt and I'd still miss her, I'd of respected her wishes a hell of alot more if she had at least tried to be honest with me, instead of being a coward. Instead she chose to lie, cheat and betray everything I had placed in her and everything we had together. That's the bitter pill, our relationship was wonderful for most of the time we were together and because of this, there is a part of it forever tainted. People fall out of love/want different things all the time and I would of been able to live with that. What I cannot accept is how it ended.. I know exactly why she was cold, bad mouthing me, idolising the new guy and all of that. It is her own ego defence mechanism kicking in and pushing down her own feelings of confusion, guilt or whatever. As you said though, she will not grow this way and she is likely to repeat the same pattern again. In fact I am almost certain she will. I too was an overlapper of sorts as is this new guy. In retrospect I cannot blame her too much for how shes being in a way because she has no point of reference, she has never felt the true depths of a breakup and how to cope being alone.

My conscience is clear though and although I take equal responsibility for whatever problems arose in our relationship, I know I didn't screw anyone over in the end and I didn't act like an ass. If I was truly this ass she seems to want to convince herself I am, I could have ruined her. But none of that would bring her back or indeed make me feel better.

Final thought: With due respect to some of the replies, I do not genuinely feel there is ever a time when you should settle down, it just happens. I know many people who married in their early 20s. However, I can agree that the whole marriage thing can also spook a person pretty badly. In this case, I believe it wasn't the main cause but it certainly contributed. I think for the first time she saw problems in our relationship (something she wasn't used to), coupled with her own insecurities and then the pending marriage stuff. She was terrified. This is why I cannot hate her, fear does terrible things to people.

Although my brain is telling me she hates me, I really don't think she does because I cannot fathom any reason why she would. I am now 9 weeks since breakup and it gets easier. The lows are still just as painful and hollow, but the time between those lows is greater and now constant grief is replaced with sadness. Sadness is important because although it's not a good emotion to have, it does mean that everything has meaning and that you are still capable of opening up to love one day.

Thanks again for the replies. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Mate i can feel ur pain literally had the same thing happen wth me accept she cheated wth wat i thought was a close friend. The betrayal was incredible a friend of 15 yrs who I confided in. I've had just about every tg hinges happen to my heart so painful it would make a jerry springer show look like a cartoon lol. Currently also partner called it off after 6 yrs similar thing she said to ures I love u but ime not in love wth u...lol must admit 1st time I've heard this but not a good sign by the looks of it. I thought there might be another party but haven't had any evidence of it yet and worse still we work together. I've had a shocking love life and to be honest I'm very nervous getting close again to someone this is the 5th time I've gone thru this excruciating dumping experience. I think a lot of the time it's a 3rd party for sure or they have there eye on someone. Don't worry wat she did to u she will do to him garaunteed she's insecure byou t hv e sounds of it can i ask how close is her relationship wth her own father? If there's none they r clingy but as soon as they have attention from someone else they like they do this dump or cheat. Anyway sorry to hear friend im about wheee u r again the moment just trying to grasp how aftrr 6 yrs claiming b to be so in love wth me never met anyone just cuts it off we fought alot I guess the only thing I can think of and she mentioned it she lost feelings. Anyway heal bro and prayers

• Author
Cornelius_Smiff
Mate i can feel ur pain literally had the same thing happen wth me accept she cheated wth wat i thought was a close friend. The betrayal was incredible a friend of 15 yrs who I confided in. I've had just about every tg hinges happen to my heart so painful it would make a jerry springer show look like a cartoon lol. Currently also partner called it off after 6 yrs similar thing she said to ures I love u but ime not in love wth u...lol must admit 1st time I've heard this but not a good sign by the looks of it. I thought there might be another party but haven't had any evidence of it yet and worse still we work together. I've had a shocking love life and to be honest I'm very nervous getting close again to someone this is the 5th time I've gone thru this excruciating dumping experience. I think a lot of the time it's a 3rd party for sure or they have there eye on someone. Don't worry wat she did to u she will do to him garaunteed she's insecure byou t hv e sounds of it can i ask how close is her relationship wth her own father? If there's none they r clingy but as soon as they have attention from someone else they like they do this dump or cheat. Anyway sorry to hear friend im about wheee u r again the moment just trying to grasp how aftrr 6 yrs claiming b to be so in love wth me never met anyone just cuts it off we fought alot I guess the only thing I can think of and she mentioned it she lost feelings. Anyway heal bro and prayers

Thank you for the kind words man.

I am now at week 12 and this past week has been incredibly positive. It's getting easier.

Went speed dating (I nearly chickened out) and met lots of really cool women. One in particular I really hit it off with and have been talking lots since and arranging a date for next week. This was a massive confidence boost and although I am not pinning too many hopes on this event, it was important I experienced this because I know now that I am not a mutant and I can have the confidence to talk to women.

Everyday I still miss my ex though and this is normal I know. I am still in love with her (or rather the person she was) but I have also accepted that this person is gone forever. The biggest step I took this week, I have forgiven her. Not because I am justifying her behaviour but because for my own sanity, I have to let go of the anger or at least take the first steps. She did was she did because she was a coward and for whatever reason she chose this path.

It's incredible to think where I was to where I am now. The first 5 weeks I was living second to second, minute to minute and hour to hour of just constant thoughts of her and crippling grief. It really does get easier. The lows are still incredibly painful and I still have a deep sadness. But, I can breathe again! :D

That's great to hear and yespecially dating can lift u out of ur funk. I know I've done that a few times be careful not to rush into another relationship as tempting as it can be till those wounds heal. In my experience u can heal while in another relationship but sometimes u can neglect ur current relationship by nor being fully availed emotionally. Anyway awesome still and a win. Me i was doing well till I saw the ex the other day wth two work colleagues this girl she always hangs out wth and thact guy again no intimacy but still it felt like ur tumbleweed experience that lonely feeling just coming back out of that. I was listenning g to this podcast about relationships and why they fail and a bit reason I think it's actually probably applicable to wat happenned to u not ur fault of course but more so that ur ex wasn't honest about how she felt about marriage wen u proposed rather than say to u hey I'm not ready yet and as as i guess painfully as that can be its better than pretending that's wat u want only later to pull out wth the drama she created to do that pull out that is. She was probably not wanting to hurt ur feelings initially whilst creating the drama that was to come anyway enough of my rambling glad ur in a good space at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Author
Cornelius_Smiff

So it happened… She txted me out of the blue yesterday. It was about the PC money and paying for it. I asked her months ago before she ghosted me to confirm the payment dates and when it was to be paid until, which she flat out ignored.

In this txt and email she gave me the breakdown of the costs etc. I made sure to point out that I would pay her what I owe but would deduct the money for the PC parts she took, which she seemed to agree with. I asked whether she wanted me to pro rata (pay her less each month) or just pay the full amount and leave out the final few payments to cover the PC parts. She was a bit passive aggressive or so it seemed “Well I don’t have a job right now… So what do you think?”.. “I can’t afford for you to give me less”. So it’s all sorted and I thanked her for the update and said ‘Take care’. That was that.

I am not sure how to feel about hearing from her, I was shaking the whole time I was engaging in this exchange but I was a lot calmer and composed than I thought I would be. The problem is that it raised a bit of impending doom thing as if it will set me back in my recvery. On the one hand, I am a little bit bitter that now she finally decides to contact me when she wants something or is desperate. After all the ignoring me and being a lying heartless person, she decides to contact me with information I requested months ago, when all she had to do was take 5 minutes to tell me earlier before I went through moving on etc. On the other hand, why am I even paying her or giving her a single penny? This is the woman who cheated on me, tore my life to pieces and ended up with us losing several thousands of pounds in money because she continued to press forward with wedding plans even though I am sure she knew for months she didn’t want to get married at all. Not to mention I never got my keys back, so had to change the locks. I guess my conscience is worth that much and the fact she has literally zero ammunition over me. Of course if she wanted to cast me in a bad light she could just make stuff up (which she has sort of done already) but at least in my mind (and in hers deep down) I will know the truth. I will pay for the agreed period, I will be the bigger person and continue my healing.

I have been feeling so much more positive in recent weeks, I am finally seeing the turning point 3 months in. I do have a few periods of darkness and last night it hit me a little bit, but honestly not as bad as I had thought. I am glad this didn’t get bitter between us (even if she is feeling bitter) and honestly I don’t want her to contact me again. I have made so much progress recently but I still have that nagging feeling again at the back of my mind of “**** you!... Why now!?.. Why do you contact me now when all you want to do is get money out of me?”.

But I will do as I have been doing, I will move forward and put her behind me.

Edited by Cornelius_Smiff
  • Author
Cornelius_Smiff

And soo the plot thickens deeper. Had a missed call on my phone and an answerphone message. I vaguely recognised the number from a few weeks earlier and ignored it also because it looked like a telemarketing scam or something. I listened to the message and it was my Ex’s Dad demanding money. He was trying to seem very sympathetic “Ohh I know this is very difficult but I want my money back.. blah blah and this isn’t a threat. I will have to take you to court” etc so on.

Basically he had given me and my ex £3000.00 as a gift that he said we could use towards our wedding. The money was used to secure various deposits and make some payments towards the venue etc. When me and my Ex broke up I said I would try and get some of the money back if I could. I managed to get around half of it back but had obviously lost a lot of money from deposits etc. I paid this back and as I explained in my original post, she started to ignore me shortly after and refused to answer any messages when I enquired about getting my house keys back.

Fast forward to now and as I also said, she had contacted me a few days ago to sort out the PC debt that I said I would pay off monthly and we settled on an agreement. Anyways, I called him back and he was very unreasonable. I apparently owe him and his family £5000 not counting what I have already paid back. I asked him first of all where he got this figure from and he claims it’s £3000 plus £1000 my ex apparently paid into the wedding and £1000 from her Mum (even though her mum and dad are divorced and hate each others guts). He then began to make accusations that I mistreated his daughter and she gave me the money under duress and that I intimidated her. All nonsense and most likely based on stuff she said or stuff he has taken at face value. The fact is she was the sort of person who never really expressed her opinion if you asked her what she wanted to do and instead chooses to play the victim when the **** hits the fan. He also pointed out an occasion where he saw me shout at her at the train station “when the train was late” to which I explained I wasn’t shouting at her I was shouting at the train times. There was also an incident where I was raging at my ISP support line and the neighbours heard me shouting and came round to see if me and Rosie were having a domestic argument, which we wernt. Apparently the day she moved out my Neighbour told her Dad “Oh I am glad you are getting her out of there” wtf!?. And the biggest shock was when he said “She is very upset and had said you have been ignoring her”. I was stunned.. She ignored me and refused to deal with the money issues!

I flat out refused to give him anymore money as I had paid back all I could afford to and he claimed my ex was entitled to half of the stuff in the house (which is nonsense as well). I refused again to which he said he would see me in court and slammed the phone down. That money was a gift and he does not have a leg to stand on. There was no formal agreement in place and I have done everything I said I would. It sucks because I have started to feel so much better recently and then this comes along and opens up all the old wounds again.

I have also cut off any payments to her now as well since her Dad is declaring war and really I was only paying her back because I wanted to be the bigger person and show that I am a man of my word. Screw that, I am done being the better person. She has told lies and her Dad is being completely unreasonable. It was not just me who took that money it was her as well. I know why they are both asking for money now. She still doesn’t have a job and the money seems to have run out for her.

And soo the plot thickens deeper. Had a missed call on my phone and an answerphone message. I vaguely recognised the number from a few weeks earlier and ignored it also because it looked like a telemarketing scam or something. I listened to the message and it was my Ex’s Dad demanding money. He was trying to seem very sympathetic “Ohh I know this is very difficult but I want my money back.. blah blah and this isn’t a threat. I will have to take you to court” etc so on.

Basically he had given me and my ex £3000.00 as a gift that he said we could use towards our wedding. The money was used to secure various deposits and make some payments towards the venue etc. When me and my Ex broke up I said I would try and get some of the money back if I could. I managed to get around half of it back but had obviously lost a lot of money from deposits etc. I paid this back and as I explained in my original post, she started to ignore me shortly after and refused to answer any messages when I enquired about getting my house keys back.

Fast forward to now and as I also said, she had contacted me a few days ago to sort out the PC debt that I said I would pay off monthly and we settled on an agreement. Anyways, I called him back and he was very unreasonable. I apparently owe him and his family £5000 not counting what I have already paid back. I asked him first of all where he got this figure from and he claims it’s £3000 plus £1000 my ex apparently paid into the wedding and £1000 from her Mum (even though her mum and dad are divorced and hate each others guts). He then began to make accusations that I mistreated his daughter and she gave me the money under duress and that I intimidated her. All nonsense and most likely based on stuff she said or stuff he has taken at face value. The fact is she was the sort of person who never really expressed her opinion if you asked her what she wanted to do and instead chooses to play the victim when the **** hits the fan. He also pointed out an occasion where he saw me shout at her at the train station “when the train was late” to which I explained I wasn’t shouting at her I was shouting at the train times. There was also an incident where I was raging at my ISP support line and the neighbours heard me shouting and came round to see if me and Rosie were having a domestic argument, which we wernt. Apparently the day she moved out my Neighbour told her Dad “Oh I am glad you are getting her out of there” wtf!?. And the biggest shock was when he said “She is very upset and had said you have been ignoring her”. I was stunned.. She ignored me and refused to deal with the money issues!

I flat out refused to give him anymore money as I had paid back all I could afford to and he claimed my ex was entitled to half of the stuff in the house (which is nonsense as well). I refused again to which he said he would see me in court and slammed the phone down. That money was a gift and he does not have a leg to stand on. There was no formal agreement in place and I have done everything I said I would. It sucks because I have started to feel so much better recently and then this comes along and opens up all the old wounds again.

I have also cut off any payments to her now as well since her Dad is declaring war and really I was only paying her back because I wanted to be the bigger person and show that I am a man of my word. Screw that, I am done being the better person. She has told lies and her Dad is being completely unreasonable. It was not just me who took that money it was her as well. I know why they are both asking for money now. She still doesn’t have a job and the money seems to have run out for her.

You don't OWE them anything.....I'm not familiar with laws in the UK (assuming since you said pounds) but common sense would suggest you don't owe parents for what they give to Thier kids. It's a problem for them...I would block ignore and move on....I apologise I only read your last two post and not the entire thread.

Let him go to court and make a fool of himself.

1. A present is a present.

2. It was his daughter who canceled the wedding, not you.

3. You can als compensation from her, for breaking a contract.

• Like 1
  • Author
Cornelius_Smiff

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes I am also of the opinion that they do not have a leg to stand on, but it's still annoying. I initially cut off any payments to her for the PC as well and she emailed me about it after I told her, she denied saying anything to her Dad and that her Dad's perception of me was not her fault and that she said nothing to him. I pointed out that she had the chance to give him the true version of events but instead chose not too and that the money he gave was a gift to us, therefore it was between me and her. Despite this I have since reinstated payments to her for the PC debt. Although she does not deserve a penny from me, my conscience is worth that much and me doing this is a middle finger to her Dad. I'll pay your daughter for something that I feel I owe but not you because I owe you nothing (because I am not this money grubbing ogre you make me out to be) and because I said I would.

But karma paid me a fat one on Friday. Was feeling pretty low, probably the lowest I have felt for a while. Anyways, randomly a really hot girl I had been talking to for sometime from a dating site (we became friends) but had never met officially yet. She decided to come over to mine to 'Hang out'. We ended up sleeping together and it was a really good night. I think we are just 'friends with benefits' if anything more happens, but I am not sure it will. Even if it doesn't it was unexpected and I really needed that ego boost. I wont lie, I am not someone who usually does the one thing, but in this case it was exactly what I needed and she had fun too. So thank you Karma :D

I am thinking much clearer Today and even if in the worst case scenario they take me to court and win, I still have my dignity and my conscience is clear.

Edited by Cornelius_Smiff
  • Author
Cornelius_Smiff

Small update...

She has now emailed in a very formal tone (not like her at all) and with a very specific almost clinical list of demands. Essentially, they are asking for me to provide details of where the money was spent and to get receipts etc.

Two things, I no longer have any receipts and secondly, I am under no obligation to provide this information as the money was a gift.

If I start playing their game I am essentially walking into their trap. The email seemed very polite in style but with a very sinister undertone. I am calling their bluff and doing nothing except explaining that the money was a gift and as a gesture of goodwill, I recouped a sum of money, which I then paid to my ex. I made it clear that her dad has already threatened me with court action and was being unreasonable when I tried to discuss this matter, His tone was rude and accusatory.

The email seemed to be like either her Dad wrote it or she was coached because it was not at all like her usual spelling, sentence construction or verbage. I have now blocked her and made it clear that if her Dad wishes to pursue me in court, its his decision.

Small update...

She has now emailed in a very formal tone (not like her at all) and with a very specific almost clinical list of demands. Essentially, they are asking for me to provide details of where the money was spent and to get receipts etc.

Two things, I no longer have any receipts and secondly, I am under no obligation to provide this information as the money was a gift.

If I start playing their game I am essentially walking into their trap. The email seemed very polite in style but with a very sinister undertone. I am calling their bluff and doing nothing except explaining that the money was a gift and as a gesture of goodwill, I recouped a sum of money, which I then paid to my ex. I made it clear that her dad has already threatened me with court action and was being unreasonable when I tried to discuss this matter, His tone was rude and accusatory.

The email seemed to be like either her Dad wrote it or she was coached because it was not at all like her usual spelling, sentence construction or verbage. I have now blocked her and made it clear that if her Dad wishes to pursue me in court, its his decision.

I agree. Their behavior is ridiculous. Let him take you to court - you have done more than enough, as I wouldn't have returned anything for something that was gifted to BOTH of you - and she was the one who called off the engagement. You BOTH spent the money on agreed arrangements for YOUR wedding. I wouldn't respond to anything else until you have your day in court (if he really takes it there). Boy, they are trying to make this get ugly. Sorry they are putting you though this. I suspect she's suddenly pushing it because she's broke. Too bad for her.

• Author
Cornelius_Smiff
I have no idea why you are still taking $hit from this girl and her family over three months after the breakup, especially when they've shown their true colours. Lawyer up and go no contact. Cut off the PC money too, and stop getting manipulated so easily. If you don't stand up to people, you're responsible for how they treat you.

I am not being manipulated, but I can see your point with regards to stopping paying her. However, the PC money to me represents not only my conscience but also a middle finger to her dad. I will pay it because it's the right thing to do and because I said I would. Whether they are laughing at me about this doesn't matter, I am doing it for my own piece of mind not theirs.

One of the reasons I have made such rapid progress during this breakup (I now very rarely miss her at all) is because I have tried to cut out any bitter vindictive elements to it and refused to embrace the darkness. However, I will defend myself against any and all shots they wish to fire, by not firing back but by ignoring. The only way to be certain you won't lose the game, is to not play the game in the first place.

She's out of my life and for the first time since we broke up, I am happy about it. There will be dark days ahead I am sure and I will be back on here at some point lol. But, I made it through those first 2 months, which were a living hell that I would not wish upon anyone.

• Like 1

Okay dude. Here's the deal. You tried to enter into NC with unfinished business. Now, it's coming back to haunt you. She doesn't care about or about what you had together. It's about your wallet. She lost her job and now she's in a bad way. Is all about the money: is all business now.

If this guy is bugging you for 5000 pounds, talk to a lawyer. See what he/she says that is what you are even obligated to pay back. Also, list what you have paid back to her or her father. And then, do what the lawyer says.

Remember, this is just your unfinished business coming back to haunt you. Nothing more.

• Author
Cornelius_Smiff
Okay dude. Here's the deal. You tried to enter into NC with unfinished business. Now, it's coming back to haunt you. She doesn't care about or about what you had together. It's about your wallet. She lost her job and now she's in a bad way. Is all about the money: is all business now.

If this guy is bugging you for 5000 pounds, talk to a lawyer. See what he/she says that is what you are even obligated to pay back. Also, list what you have paid back to her or her father. And then, do what the lawyer says.

Remember, this is just your unfinished business coming back to haunt you. Nothing more.

Not sure you have read my earlier comments, But I didn't initiate NC prior to dealing with the issues. I tried to deal with them with her and she flat out ignored me for several weeks. Ergo, I had no choice.

Oh I know she has little thought for me or indeed our time together. She quit her job to leave me and I assumed she would have got another. I agree though, she is only interested in getting this money now. However, I will continue to pay her for the PC because I said I would and it has nothing to do with any feelings, I am doing because I am not a money grubbing whore. I havn't paid her dad a single penny back as I am under no obligation to do so because it was a gift. I paid my ex part of the money back as a goodwill gesture and nothing more. She has then given him this money and he is trying to get the rest of it. Essentially, I am not giving them a breakdown of where this money was spent because the moment I start doing this, I am playing their game and I am perpetuating their belief that I must somehow explain myself. If they want that information they can take me to court and I am calling his bluff. Under UK law he doesn't have a very strong case at all and I have already tried to be reasonable with him,

Also, yes he does know she cheated, which I am sure she has denied and his response was "Well ask yourself, why did she do that?". This is what he said when trying to demand money, he was accusing me of all kinds of things "You mistreated her and intimidated her" etc, but as soon as I tried defending myself he was all like "Well that's between you and her and none of my business".

Worst case scenario, they somehow win in court, I will plead poverty and pay back £1 per week.

• Author
Cornelius_Smiff

Bit of an update, and what was a pretty big test in terms of where I am now. A friend linked me something on Facebook and I clicked to view it. I didn’t realise that this was a public post and that I had recently cleared my cache/cookies without signing in again. My friend was still friends with her on facebook (he is a bit of a derp with stuff like this) and I could see her new profile pic. It was a pic of her with the guy she cheated on me with and left me for. Being an idiot, I clicked it. Besides the blurry image of them I was forced to see on New Years Eve, it was the first time I had seen them together. Had I been signed in I wouldn’t of seen it as she is blocked.

Not sure how I felt at first but it really messed me up pretty badly. What I mean is that I felt as if an explosion of rage was waiting to get out, but for whatever reason I didn’t know how to express it. It just seemed to manifest itself as a deeply depressing couple of days. I am okay now and it’s still playing on my mind a little, but I think this is a good sign. I didn’t fall to pieces or start acting impulsively. I knew I would have to deal with something like this one day and I am thankful I didn’t have to see this sort of thing months ago, when it really would have ruined me.

I’ve accepted she doesn’t give a sh*t about me at all. Now to prepare for the coming storm from her Dad.