Devastated- job offer rescinded

Excellent tips for my future interviews!

Here is the answers: What is their history- They responded- "Pardon? Aren't you abreast of our industry? Sounds like you didn't investigate us to apply.

What is our history: "again, you clearly have not researched us before sitting here to apply for the position".

I did though ask them:"Can you name some challenges that you have incurred that turned into an asset for the company?

I also asked: "What is your business "team Building" approach?

I've decided not to send a note. I'm sure they "file thirteened" my resume. Time to move on to better things and a better attitude :)

Thanks again for the supportive words and some great advice!

You got blind sided or choked.

"Xxx make so and so revenues a year. Your ceo is X and etc. Etc. I looked at your YTD and your in the red in XYZ. I feel i will max profits and so-so. Im interested in the working culture here. What hasn't worked for you and what does.."

You were blind sided.

Trust me i learned these things by watching how the japanese apply for jobs. Lol

Good luck :) :)

GunslingerRoland

That is pretty harsh... how much higher was the counter over the original?

Because if they really liked you best I can't see it having been over the money unless it was a really significant difference.

Regardless though, they shouldn't be accepting your counter offer unless they knew the money was okay already. Very unprofessional...

• Author
That is pretty harsh... how much higher was the counter over the original?

Because if they really liked you best I can't see it having been over the money unless it was a really significant difference.

Regardless though, they shouldn't be accepting your counter offer unless they knew the money was okay already. Very unprofessional...

Agree. Was harsh.

The avg pay in my field and demographic area was set by them at 7k under avg.

I simply inquired if there was any room to increase it , since they didn't imply or state it was a firm - non negotiable line item on the offer.

Professional? Well in this area it's rather the norm for the owner to pull the deal at the 11th hour. It was a bitter reminder of how this industry operates. Not proud of that part.

It has inspired me to be mindful going into interviews.

You can't get around the fact that you're dealing with people, and people have egos. The more power they get the bigger the ego, usually. If she didn't even ask for a certain amount, then it was almost certainly that someone felt she should've been grateful for an opportunity to work for them... and, trying to negotiate the salary was viewed as offensive or ungracious.

Or it could've been that there was a highly competitive second candidate... but it still comes down to someone not liking the fact that she was audacious enough to try and negotiate.

I can understand why that might be in certain circumstances too, but probably not applicable here. But regardless of all the other factors, I think they must've felt that it was a buyer's market and the seller should've acknowledged that.

When I go to an interview I turn the tables.. I ask them why should I work here. What is their history? What needs improvement?

I don't know if asking why you should work there is a smart question. If you are applying for that position at that company you need the job, its up to you to sell yourself its not like they are vetting you. Sounds rude honestly.

You can ask about the culture of the company to give you more insight on their people.

I believe it is important to research a company and know who you may work for. So asking any questions in reference a company should be a little more broad... like if the company has 42 offices around the world are there transfer options... what are the most successful divisions of the business, etc...

In an interview its up to the person to convince the hiring manager that they are the answer to their prayers and hiring them will be an asset to the company.

The most important question to ask a hiring manager at the end of the interview if you really want to know where you stand is..."Is there any reason you believe that I am not qualified for this position or may not be able to handle the tasks at hand." At that point if there are other options they may disclose. If they have a problem with you or the offer on the table they may say. It's a legitimate question that is worth asking.

• Like 1

I think they offered you the position at the salary they presented. When you countered with a different salary, the offer was taken off the table upon consideration of the new salary request. They decided you weren't worth what you were asking for. Fair, and perfectly their right to do so.

It always comes down to money. If those position are as rare as you have expressed in your location, and people in the profession love it, then it is clearly a buyer's market, and that means take what you can get.

Only if you want that position in that location of course...

• Author

I believe it is important to research a company and know who you may work for. So asking any questions in reference a company should be a little more broad... like if the company has 42 offices around the world are there transfer options... what are the most successful divisions of the business, etc...

In an interview its up to the person to convince the hiring manager that they are the answer to their prayers and hiring them will be an asset to the company.

The most important question to ask a hiring manager at the end of the interview if you really want to know where you stand is..."Is there any reason you believe that I am not qualified for this position or may not be able to handle the tasks at hand." At that point if there are other options they may disclose. If they have a problem with you or the offer on the table they may say. It's a legitimate question that is worth asking.

Great suggestions! I tend to think its an even field so I do understand the need to also "vet" them. Balance is key. In my interviews I go in with a positive attitude and the fact that I have equal power /choice as they do . The street goes both ways. I am not there to beg, my skills have value in this industry. They under priced it and no doubt hired an off the street person whom they will have to invest at minimum two years to grasp the software and be proficient.

I did point blank ask at one interview What skills would be required to put me in the top picks or for further consideration (since they didn't seem to delve into it to much).Nor did they even ask any questions from my resume'. I wanted precise answers. The lady would not or could not answer that question. I left "knowing" that if they couldn't answer that question they really weren't narrowing in on the skills so much as the "fit".

When the President of the company sits in and in a rather brash manner (stern perhaps), says " Her resume and skills are plenty to make the decision to hire" He basically said its a no brainer. But four days later the offer is dropped. the more I think about it and the two other job interviews I had, I am seriously thinking my Old job is making unfavorable comments. Of course they don't want the competition hiring me....Particularly ones that are More equitable and have Bigger accounts.

• Like 3
GunslingerRoland
I don't know if asking why you should work there is a smart question. If you are applying for that position at that company you need the job, its up to you to sell yourself its not like they are vetting you. Sounds rude honestly.

You can ask about the culture of the company to give you more insight on their people.

When I am hiring someone I totally expect that I have to sell the job to the person I am interviewing at the same time they are selling their skills to me. I've had more than a few situations where the best candidate decided not to take the position when they are offered it. The reality is that the best people will have opportunities for jobs. Also when people start asking detailed questions in the interview, it impresses me that they care about what their job will be like and not just getting a paycheque.

I don't like that last question either, if someone really isn't qualified it puts you in the awkward position of either lying or having to on the spot give accurate reasons why you are not hiring the person. It's a very fine line as it could open the door for lawsuits with the wrong wording. I don't think an HR department at a large company would ever want you answering that question.

• Like 3
GunslingerRoland
the more I think about it and the two other job interviews I had, I am seriously thinking my Old job is making unfavorable comments. Of course they don't want the competition hiring me....Particularly ones that are More equitable and have Bigger accounts.

I was thinking that as well. Asking for a small amount more money is usually an easy yes, no or we have to take a look answer. The fact that they answered it with an immediate yes, just to switch to hard no makes it hard for me to believe that was the reason.

I think you may be being sabotaged...

• Like 1
You can't get around the fact that you're dealing with people, and people have egos. The more power they get the bigger the ego, usually. If she didn't even ask for a certain amount, then it was almost certainly that someone felt she should've been grateful for an opportunity to work for them... and, trying to negotiate the salary was viewed as offensive or ungracious.

Or it could've been that there was a highly competitive second candidate... but it still comes down to someone not liking the fact that she was audacious enough to try and negotiate.

I can understand why that might be in certain circumstances too, but probably not applicable here. But regardless of all the other factors, I think they must've felt that it was a buyer's market and the seller should've acknowledged that.

Negative... your life and future is on the line and with salary you have nooo idea how long you will slave for the pay. I straight up told my employer what i want as pay with reguard to the national standard of the position and location. I also asked about turn over rate and so-on and here i am... one of the go to men here getting great pay.. twice as much as my previous job :)

It is the job of HR to get the lowest pay person and some get bonuses for this.

Ego is ego and based on individuals. I know powerful people who will pay good money to the right people. Any company that looks down on its employees and thinks they should be grateful to a company i dont want to work for.

From down to the cleaners and janitoral staff the company should be grateful as these are the cogs that make them money.

• Like 2
Appreciate the view point!

I stand by my dads wisdom, never accept less then or less then is where you'll be. My negotiating was polite and worthy of considering. It was within the current market.

I'm sure most business would salivate to offer 2$ an hour with your advice that the employee should accept it and prove themselves.

The fact that the business was quick to do a 180 is a red flag.

Your dad is completely right.

There is something more to this and I don't believe it was the counter offer that caused them to withdraw the offer. It doesn't work that way. Sure they can say sorry - this is our limit and we can't offer any more. At which point you accept or decline.

However to withdraw the offer entirely means something else is happening behind the scenes. Can you ask them what prompted the change of heart? I have had negotiations fall through as we were unable to reach agreement on pay, but this is not the same as a employer deciding they no longer wish to employ you, at all.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I've had something somewhat similar happen recently. I was told that the company wanted to extend me an offer and asked for my salary requirement. As soon as I gave them a range which I thought was reasonable, they told me that they had budget issues and that they were going to drop the position.

It's hard to tell whether it's your salary requirement that caused this, but I'm going to guess that that wasn't the problem. Because they could have counter offered pretty easily. Regardless, I can only imagine how devastating it is, and I am so sorry.

But there's one thing to keep in mind--if you received an offer once, you can definitely receive an offer again. It's clear from this that based on your experience and interviewing skills that you're a candidate that an employer wants to hire.

• 2 weeks later...
PhillyLibertyBelle
Great suggestions! I tend to think its an even field so I do understand the need to also "vet" them. Balance is key. In my interviews I go in with a positive attitude and the fact that I have equal power /choice as they do . The street goes both ways. I am not there to beg, my skills have value in this industry. They under priced it and no doubt hired an off the street person whom they will have to invest at minimum two years to grasp the software and be proficient.

I did point blank ask at one interview What skills would be required to put me in the top picks or for further consideration (since they didn't seem to delve into it to much).Nor did they even ask any questions from my resume'. I wanted precise answers. The lady would not or could not answer that question. I left "knowing" that if they couldn't answer that question they really weren't narrowing in on the skills so much as the "fit".

When the President of the company sits in and in a rather brash manner (stern perhaps), says " Her resume and skills are plenty to make the decision to hire" He basically said its a no brainer. But four days later the offer is dropped. the more I think about it and the two other job interviews I had, I am seriously thinking my Old job is making unfavorable comments. Of course they don't want the competition hiring me....Particularly ones that are More equitable and have Bigger accounts.

Could you have a friend call your previous employer and ask for a reference check on you so that you could have an idea of what is being said?

I was once hired for a position, then demoted on my first day (with a reduction of pay). Part of the job I applied for included hiring and selecting new team members, and my immediate supervisor said that they felt that I couldn't be trusted to be pro-active in "diversifying" our division.

I replied something along the lines of, "No offense, but I've been here less than 4 hours, and I haven't been in a situation where I'm hiring somebody. I'm curious to know how you came to that conclusion."

Basically, I was told "Well, that's the way it is, and if you don't like it, take a hike."

She then proceeded to hire a new sub-manager (who was of the ethnicity she wanted to increase the numbers of) a week later, who then laid several people off and replaced them with members of that race/ethnicity.

• Author
Could you have a friend call your previous employer and ask for a reference check on you so that you could have an idea of what is being said?

While that seems like a viable option, my former workplace does the following:

They will request a formal request via fax. They will trace the # called and match it to the business requesting. It. They will call that company and ask for the name of the hr person and then ask to speak to them. All to cover any scenario that are less then above board.

I recently had to (begrudgingly) contact mynformer employer for tax information. The tone of the hr person said it all...

I'm still going on interviews...But tbh...I am more reserved in believing them. The once bit, twice shy...

I have some thoughts

Its been 9 months and caboodles of interviews. I currently have a job to tide me over.

After being called in for a second interview, I get a call that they wanted to offer me the job. We discuss the duties and the benefits. A start date is confirmed. I agree to the job offer with a counter on pay. It was supported with skill level and demographic scale in this position. The Lady seemed willing to entertain the counter offer and thought it reasonable.

In other words, she didn't say yes, but she didn't say no.
we agreed to follow up in 48 hours. I contacted her and she stated" We have chosen to go in a different direction, we wish you well in your job search and will keep your info on file".

I was devastated. All systems were a "go", as the VP even interviewed with me and spoke well of my skills and attitude.

This career was literally a perfect fit for both sides. I had worked in this particularly industry for years and had stellar references from clients.

I'm aware of them having the liberty to rescind at any time prior to my name going on payroll.

I want you to stop kidding yourself. They didn't "rescind". You rejected their offer and gave them a different offer. They rejected it.
Its just disheartening.

I will though send them a thank you note to close the relationship. I'm sure this didn't come lightly for them to reconsider their future business plan staff wise. At some point I do wish business's wouldn't pull the rug in this manner. Integrity seems to be lacking ...

Again, you are trying to absolve yourself of responsibility for the outcome. But for the pay, you would have had the job. I'm not saying you were wrong, I'm saying you were responsible for the outcome.

Now I am having to restart my search....Any tips to regroup my mental attitude? this really has sent me for a tailspin....

Only one company has deemed you unworthy of the pay you demand. You might do better by asking why, rather than sending the perfunctory "thank you" letter. Maybe the job market doesn't support your desired salary. Maybe you were overpaid at the last job. Maybe their budget simply doesn't allow it. Maybe a million things. You'll be better served by finding out WHY. It might lead you to conclude you shouldn't be despondent about this. It might lead you to conclude you shouldn't have counteroffered. Either way, you're better off going forward with a clear view of reality.