What a mess-I did the right thing?

• Author

I live in a small town so my ex and I are bound to somewhere see one another.

We were engaged she cheated and I broke it off. We do work together but I haven't said one nasty word to her-dont even speak to her unless its job related.

So I run into a store to buy somethings I need and she happens to be there which to me isn't a big deal-people are allowed to shop. So she sees me and starts acting wierd-moving around the store in a nervous way.

I just grab what I need and wait in line to pay. That's all I did.

While waiting in line the CASHIER looks over my shoulder while I'm paying for my items and states:why is that woman freaking out? Now I don't know who she's talking about so I turn around and she's talking about my ex in the isle over from the cashier.My ex is pacing around looking like she is going to die.

I don't understand why my ex freaks out around me. I don't give her mean looks. I don't curse at her. I don't even talk or try to talk to her. Why doescshe act like this?

Probably she knows she cheated, expects you to react mad, hate her, want to ignore her and be visibly upset when you see her.

You taking it in stride probably amplifies the angst she feels knowing she cheated. It probably bothers her that you don't seem bothered or distraught.

I live in a small town so my ex and I are bound to somewhere see one another.

We were engaged she cheated and I broke it off. We do work together but I haven't said one nasty word to her-dont even speak to her unless its job related.

So I run into a store to buy somethings I need and she happens to be there which to me isn't a big deal-people are allowed to shop. So she sees me and starts acting wierd-moving around the store in a nervous way.

I just grab what I need and wait in line to pay. That's all I did.

While waiting in line the CASHIER looks over my shoulder while I'm paying for my items and states:why is that woman freaking out? Now I don't know who she's talking about so I turn around and she's talking about my ex in the isle over from the cashier.My ex is pacing around looking like she is going to die.

I don't understand why my ex freaks out around me. I don't give her mean looks. I don't curse at her. I don't even talk or try to talk to her. Why doescshe act like this?

Guilt and shame are powerful emotions . . .

• Author

I thought about the possible guilty feeling. But to act like she acts you would tink that I was some abusive ex when I was not.

Either way the behaviour is getting rather old.

I don't think its guilt either because she paraded around her current boyfriend.

I'm starting to think she wants me to say something to her???

And should I?

I thought about the possible guilty feeling. But to act like she acts you would tink that I was some abusive ex when I was not.

Either way the behaviour is getting rather old.

I don't think its guilt either because she paraded around her current boyfriend.

I'm starting to think she wants me to say something to her???

And should I?

No. Say nothing to as little as you possibly can. Don't engage her.

She can't handle being ignored. She needs for you to "go there" so that she can justify to herself that she was right to cheat on you. When you don't "go there", she has to sit with those feelings of being wretched and guilty because that's what cheaters are.

Leave her alone. Her cheating said that she didn't want your attention, so give that to her in spades.

• Like 1
  • Author

I agree. I figured she is just trying to get me to react and then justify her behaviour.

I'm not saying that it isn't awkward seeing her but I deal with it knowing the fact that what is done is done-the past can't be changed.

I just thought she would be a little more mature- not wanting to draw attention to an embarrassing situation.

I agree. I figured she is just trying to get me to react and then justify her behaviour.

I'm not saying that it isn't awkward seeing her but I deal with it knowing the fact that what is done is done-the past can't be changed.

I just thought she would be a little more mature- not wanting to draw attention to an embarrassing situation.

The guilty always make the most noise.