Break out in pimples under my chin when I shave...

Well this question is really for the guys of this board anyway i noticed every time i shave my face i always break out in pimples under my chin.My question is whats the problem could it the razor or maybe cream i use cause this always happens

What kind of razors do you use? Also, do you dip the razor in warm water to soften the blade before using?

Sounds like razor burn to me

I eliminate razor burn by first washing my face for a minute or two with a hot washcloth, specifically scrubbing around the growth areas that are going to be shaved, then I use a gillete "tough beard" shave gel. When you use shave gel, if you put in on and wait 30 seconds, it will loosen up the facial hair alot more, and it's easier to shave without irritation. For the blade. I'm forever sold on the Mach 3. Been using it for a couple years now, and it's awesome.

Hope this helps

Originally posted by westernxer

What kind of razors do you use? Also, do you dip the razor in warm water to soften the blade before using?

How and why would you soften the blade?

VirginiaBob
i noticed every time i shave my face i always break out in pimples under my chin.

that's funny, the same thing happens on my ball sack.

What you're seeing aren't really true pimples, they just look like them. They're actually ingrown hairs/razor bumps.

Try a search on Google for: men shaving ingrown hairs razor bumps and you'll get lots more info and good suggestions.

Here's one I found:

http://www.regimens.com/advice/shaving2.html

What type of razor do you use, electric or blade? If blade, do you change it often so you're not using a dull blade? Do you use shaving soap or creme or gel? I heard that Aveeno Shaving Gel (for men and women, doesn't smell all flowery) is good for guys who have razor bumps. Also exfoliating your skin first.....even if it's just washing the area with a warm wash cloth first, to get rid of the dead skin cells. I'm sure the others guys here can give good suggestions.

Originally posted by shygurl

How and why would you soften the blade?

So it doesn't rip up your face, unless you enjoy cold steel on your noggin.

Softening the blade is what you do when you dip it in warm water before the blade actually touches your face. Also, steel does soften when warmer, even if it's just a little bit.

• Author

I use the Mach 3 power blade i will admit i should change the blades more often i'm just being cheap since blades cost a lot for it lol.Thanks for the advice about using Aveeno Shaving Gel which sounds better then the white foem cream i use

Are you shaving against the grain? Apparently doing it that way clogs up the pores and can result in that.

I used to get this all of the time. The hair on my face is coarse, and grows in every-which way. Shaving "with the grain" is almost impossible for me, as my hair growth is so erratic.

I took the time to invest in a straight-razor, and some high-end shaving cream. It took time to learn how to care for the straight razor, and to learn how to not cut my throat open, but persistence paid off. I get a very close shave, and my irritation level has significantly decreased. Shaving after a hot shower, or after having a very hot, wet towel sit on my face, always produces better results.

I stay away from the Mach 3 stuff. I don't trust razors which need to be pressed hard against my face anymore. With the straight-razor, it takes a long time for me to shave, and I have to let the razor glide every so gently against my face. The effort, for me, was worth it.

I would recommend trying a wet shave, though. Try shaving after you get out of a hot shower, and give yourself a lot of time to do the shaving. Rushing is never a good thing while shaving. You could also try soaking a towel in hot water, and letting it sit on your face for a little while. Don't use too much, or too little lather, and take your time. Hopefully, you will notice some improvement.

You could also try an electric razor. For some time, I was able to get decent shaves from an electric without too much irritation.

The best thing, I think, is learning how to properly use and care for a straight-razor. A lot of beauty supply shops carry them, the strops that you need to sharpen the razor, and the high-end shaving creams.

It used to be that a man could walk into a barber shop, and get an amazing shave from a straight-razor. Unfortunately, those times have passed. If I have been able to find a barber who knows how to use a straight-razor, that barber admitted to me that he rarely had the chance to properly practice his skill, and would caution me to try it on my own; he didn't want to hurt me or give me a horrible shave.

billybadass36

I shave right after a hot shower after a workout. The sweat opens up the pores, and the steam in the shower tends to help as well. I always, always, always shave in a downward motion. Every time I try to go against the grain (upward motion) I get a closer shave but tons of razor bumps. Then afterward, I rinse with hot and then cold water and then put on a nice aftershave cream. Works for me.

It could be your skin reacting to the shave gel. Have you changed it? They make it for ultrasensitive skin.

Always shave saving for last. THen, your skin is soft, more vulnerable and pliable.

Women have to do the same thing when using a pumice stone on feet. The longer you stay in, the softer the skin becomes, the more vulnerable it makes it.

That's why people soak first. Just do it last in the shower.

Might want to check into another razor too.

laRubiaBonita

it maybe the skin "softeners" and additives in the moistrure strip on the actual razor as well as stuff in your shaving cream/ gel.

try something made for sensative skin, or made without oils if at all possible.

Or, if you can, use try an electric razor....although those do not give nearly as good a shave.

OR use a gentle facial astringent...(i recommend witch hazel)...on only your chin, and see if that helps.

Do you, by chance, prop your chin on your palm or hand? that can also cause a break out from the dirt on your hands.

I'm not a guy but thought I'd throw in a suggestion or two! My H always shaves in the shower, saving that chore for last so the hair is softer. Check out the fogless mirrors at various chains and department stores. Also, I was told that strippers use clear deodorant sticks when they shave to prevent razor burn. I tried in on my sensitive areas and it works wonderfully!

laRubiaBonita
Originally posted by FlutterBug

I'm not a guy but thought I'd throw in a suggestion or two! My H always shaves in the shower, saving that chore for last so the hair is softer. Check out the fogless mirrors at various chains and department stores. Also, I was told that strippers use clear deodorant sticks when they shave to prevent razor burn. I tried in on my sensitive areas and it works wonderfully!

i concur with the deoderant thing....in fact dove deoderant, which i love, actually uses this benefit as a selling point.

laRubiaBonita
Originally posted by tiki

So just put the deo on and then shave?

no, you put it on afterwards. like after i shave my pits....i use my deoderant, and i DO get little to no infected hairs,

it has some skin soothers it it.

But i would NOT put it on my face! i have gotten deoderant in my mouth....and it is F-nasty! i can only imagine getting it up your nose or in your eye!

Not to mention the white Pellets that may form! I mean really, how invisible is deodorant on your face? :eek:

What the hell was Bonita doing with the deodorant? Licking It? For crying out loud........ You can put it under your chin where you're having the problem. Just don't be a retard and stick it up your nose or poke it in your eye!

laRubiaBonita

What the hell was Bonita doing with the deodorant? Licking It? For crying out loud........ You can put it under your chin where you're having the problem. Just don't be a retard and stick it up your nose or poke it in your eye!

Noooooooo.......i was licking another body and inadverdantly licked some deoderant as well. it reallly keeps your tounge dries for a bit :p !

laRubiaBonita

EEwwwww. Armpit licker?

He was a messy/ liberal 'oderant applier.

Leave it to tiki and Rubia to turn a man's thread into a total woman's thread :p

WHOOPS!!! Back to those bumps....yeah, uh, try the deo thing. Hope it helps!