Wierd stuff to cope with missing your ex...

tolduso05

• Author

I can empathize with you @thespacey1.

It's one reason I felt like starting this thread. I want to be able to accept where I am right now emotionally and move on indefinitely rather than pretending that I'm over him now, then ending up still missing him years from now.

Since I've reached the stage where I've stopped crying over missing him,i feel like I've created another mechanism, i.e. imagining he's still around...watching me. Have any of you ever had any similar feelings/thoughts of an ex? I realize that the dynamics of a relationship affect one's thoughts of the person once the relationship is over...

Are you intentionally imagining that he is still around or does it just pop into your mind? Or do you truly feel like he is watching you?

I wouldn't say I imagine mine intentionally, but I get images in my mind of his car pulling into my driveway, or feel like he is next to me. That is just because I miss him and we spent every day together and now we don't, so it's an adjustment. Not really a coping thing. I haven't really found ways to cope yet. My memories of him are still very vivid and painful and daily tasks that we used to do together are difficult.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Author
Are you intentionally imagining that he is still around or does it just pop into your mind? Or do you truly feel like he is watching you?

I wouldn't say I imagine mine intentionally, but I get images in my mind of his car pulling into my driveway, or feel like he is next to me. That is just because I miss him and we spent every day together and now we don't, so it's an adjustment. Not really a coping thing. I haven't really found ways to cope yet. My memories of him are still very vivid and painful and daily tasks that we used to do together are difficult.

It's more like thoughts popping into my head because line you, we spent every day together as well. He made sure of it, from early on. Yes I loved him, but he also tried to make sure he had me preoccupied with him almost all the time. So things that wet used to do together pop into my head still almost every day.

He was controlling to an unhealthy degree. The issue is that i mistook his controlling and possessive behavior for a testament of his love for me. That's partially my fault for not putting the breaks on things early on I guess.

Visualizing him watching me is partially because of a few things. Yes I miss him and I feel sometimes that due to the nature of our breakup ,coupled with his ego he would never come right out and "ask" to see me. He'd rather be incognito.

Lastly, when we were together, it was common for him or his friends to drive up in an unrecognizable vehicle. Meaning of course, that I'd have no idea he/they were even around me. That, in and of itself is a bit weird/scary sometimes.