Timelimit for Seperation

If you met someone,dated and were steady for at leat one year. They were separated but not divorced from their ex.

How long do you think you hang in there with them?

Could you date/be steady with a person who was separated for years prior to you meeting your new SO by a year?

It took me a few years to bother getting a divorce, but my partner stood by me.

However, when my partner eventually mentioned that it bothered him, I divorced my ex immediately.

• Like 1
  • Author

In my mind. Once the marriage is over. Why not just go straight for divorce. We all know its most likely going to be 1 to 2 yrs to start and finish it.

My friend is expecting kid #2 from his GF of 3 yrs and she is still married to her ex. When she asked for some paper work from her ex. There was some delay. I don't even think she got it.

I can't understand why the Ex still wants to hold on to the marriage legally. Its not like he could get back together with my friends GF, because she is now having kid #4. She has two with the ex, and almost 2 with my friend, come Feb 2017.

My parents divorce was very long and drawn out. I think between the time they separated and the divorce was final was almost 5 years.

Usually it only takes about a year for the whole thing to be settled IF they both want to be free of each other. That's a big IF.

LookAtThisPOst
Usually it only takes about a year for the whole thing to be settled IF they both want to be free of each other. That's a big IF.

I found out from a friend of mine it was within a matter of a couple of months that he got his divorce, but they never had kids together so that's probably why. Pretty much an equivalent to a b/f-g/f break-up.

I was separated for years without divorce. I literally could not afford to divorce (one of the reasons we separated was lack of financial support from him) and I had so much stress on my plate that it was the least of my worries. When I could afford it, I did. It just didn't seem the first priority. I knew I was separated and didn't want to reunite and so did he.

• Author

For me. If I meet a woman that is separated and she wants a BF/GF committed relationship. She is going to have to be legally divorced or some official court date within 6 months, getting it wrapped up.

Too many people playing games now a days. So for me. At age 45. I don't have the time. I see all my friends in good and bad relationships. The foundations have to be rock solid.

To me in my head. If I meet a woman. She is Single/Childless or one child and not married/widowed/Divorced. I think it could work. If she is separated. To me it means she has not dealt with this situation and there will be backlash in our relationship somehow.

Why bother dating or getting involved with someone when this has not been taken care of.

• Like 1

At this point in my life I wouldn't even go on a date with a man who is in the middle of a divorce let alone wait longer than a year.

• Like 1