Cold sore/fever blister remedies

I have had the unfortunate luck to have cold sores/fever blisters on occasion since I was a baby. Inherited them from both my parents. I typically only get one maybe two a year and they come from over exposure to the sun or extreme cold. I have tried many things over the years to prevent them, treat them, control them, etc. Just wonder if any one else might know of something that works for them?

LucreziaBorgia

I use this stuff called Zovirax. My kid had some problems with being infected with chicken pox when she was in her neonatal unit, and ended up getting shingles when she was a couple of years older. She had a lesion underneath her eye, and one on her stomach and her doctor prescribed Zovarax.

I get the really bad stuff on my face (thanks to darling mother's gift during my birth), and my kid's doctor suggested using my daughter's Zovirax on my face. It really does work - usually when I feel the 'tingle' I put the Zovirax on right away and it clears it up within a day or two.

When we run out, we just get the prescription filled again.

• Author

I have used the Zorvirax and it is does work pretty quick. Just hard to keep on hand because I don't ever really go to the doctor, in fact I don't have one. Guess I was hoping to hear about some one's home remedy that works miracles......far fetched but you never now. Thanks LB!

LucreziaBorgia

I've had this problem my entire life. Honestly, I have found that pretty much no home remedy or OTC stuff really works. Some things ease the pain, or help dry them up - but Zovirax is the only thing I've used that really seemed to work. I wish Zovirax was OTC! I have seen Abreva advertised as being 'prescription strength without a prescription', but haven't tried it. Have you tried that stuff?

• Author

I have used Abreva the last few times I had one. It only works if you use it the minute you get that tingle, other wise it doesn't do much and you just let things take there course and heal on there own. But if you use it quick enough it works really good, stops it before ever breaking out. The problem is being able to just stop what ever you are doing and go get some....same thing with Zovirax. Not like I carry it around with me year round for something that only happens 1 or 2 year at most.

• 2 months later...

I use abreva the second I feel a tingle. It doesn't stop it, but it shortens the length of time the cold sore is there. When is scabs, I put vitamin E oil on it to keep it from cracking and bleeding. I learned that trick from my grandmother who used to always get them.

I find the best thing to do it to leave it alone the most you can. Once it comes out, the more you touch it the more aggrivated it gets. That's why I stick to dripping the oil on to it. It also helps me for the pain that comes along.

• 3 weeks later...

This is the second time I've gotten a fever blister...the first time I didn't know what to do to make it go away faster...so I just popped the blister...since it was my first one...it was really bad. Didn't go away for a couple weeks. But this time I noticed it was remerging day 1, after 24 hrs after noticing the little blisters I popped them...cause people do the same with pimples...pop them at the last minute...why that though..so it could grow bigger and last longer. Personally I pop from the first moment I see something growing. But anyways...so I popped the blisters and but peroxide on it every so often...I mean everytime the peroxide dried up I'd apply more. I'd use a q-tip and I'd push it into the blister so it would kill the bactiera inside and way underneath it. Well this is day 3 and it's going away...I have never really wanted to buy the meds before cause it just stops the pain...with those creme base chapstick things...all the does it seep into the sore and make it worse...with addition of your silivia somehow always touching the sore, prolonging to healing process. But I think peroxide works great...you can feel lit working...it starts to fizz on the sore...

LucreziaBorgia

Popping them is not a good idea. If there are any vulnerable openings in your skin - even microscopic ones, popping and spreading that stuff out over the area will cause blisters to form in a wider spread area - not to mention transference from one part of your face to another if you touch anyplace with the material on it. I guess if it works for you, then thats all well and good, but I would never ever suggest that anyone else pop herpes lesions like that.

Herpes is a virus. The stuff you are doing might keep the sore from being infected bacterially, but it won't kill the virus. You'd be better off with Betadine than Peroxide for what you are doing.

Listen, I see you are in Texas. If you are close to the border, I suggest you take a day trip accross to Mexico and stock up on Zovirax (and whatever other drugs you might need.) Don't mess around with this hocus-pocous home-remedy cr*p. Just get the proper stuff from Mexico, so that you will always have it handy if you need it.

RainyDayWoman

i don't get cold sores...what is a tingle? is it like a feeling you get in the spot that you will soon get a cold sore?

RecordProducer

Cold sores are not congenital; it's a virus - Herpes Simplex 1. I have used Virumerz before and it worked well for me. It works best if you put it as soon as you feel you're getting it. The home medication is a tooth paste, but I hate it. It's supposed to dry it up, but it just hurts me. Povidone-iodine is a multi-practical anti-septic also as well as Propolis.

Interestingly after I gave birth I don't get any bad cold sores anymore. They are small and almost painless. I just ignore them and enjoy my full-lip temporary treatement. :D

Well I already know it's not going to kill the virus thoroughly...cause it lays dormant and can pop up at anytime...I'm just saying...I don't like using ointments and I don't want to be a pill popper. I pop it to shorten the duration, then I use peroxide right after so it begins killing what is on the top layer...and the peroxide soon dries the blister and then it'll just be like any other scab...I'm on day 3 and the only thing I'll complain about are my lips being chapped, cause I didn't want to put any chapstick on and have the blister take in oils...but the fever blisters are gone.

LucreziaBorgia

At the very least, consider adding or subbing in Betadine to your 'clean up' routine if you absolutely have to pop them. Peroxide will only take care of bacterial stuff. Betadine will take care of both bacterial and viral spreading.

It works really well at drying up the lesions, and minimizing spreading.