Severe Cramping in Lower Left Leg

• Author
To be honest, I'd eliminate both the orange juice and the V-8.

Orange juice is sugar. Tons of it.

I'd stay away from the sparkling water. It's harsh on the digestive system. I read that you have trouble digesting fish oil capsules, and I think that's due to low stomach acid, which the sparkling water can adversely effect.

When I asked about the form of magnesium, I mean is it magnesium bisgylcinate, citrate, etc. My guess is you're taking either citrate or oxide. Can you check and confirm? :)

A B12 supplement that is swallowed is not effective. You need one that you put under your tongue--a sublingual one. It should also be in the methylcobalmin form (the active form) not the cyanocobalmin form (which is inactive, and also contains cyanide).

The foot itchiness makes me think food allergies, or maybe an allergy to something that it has come in contact with. Maybe it's something in your bed (linen material or something), since it happens when you wake up.

sooshi okay I will check but did you read the part about how my foot itches?

I just found this too on kidney failure (in addition to what I found earlier).

Kidneys remove wastes from the bloodstream. When the kidneys fail, the build-up of wastes in your blood can cause severe itching.

What do you think?

I DON'T have any of the other symptoms of kidney failure though, none!

Yes, I think the foot itchiness is related to allergies, either through contact (something on your bed), or foot allergies. It might be contact, since it seems to only happen when you're in bed.

No, I don't think you have kidney failure. It would be much more obvious.

I do think there are some mineral imbalances, though. I'd reduce the sodium intake (V8).

Check with a doctor if you are concerned, though, of course.

• Like 3
OMG guys I did a quick internet search just now on this^^ and this is what I found.

Cramps—especially leg cramps—are common for those with kidney disease. Cramps are thought to be caused by imbalances in fluid and electrolytes, or by nerve damage or blood flow problems.

I am shaking now, yeah I best go in to see the doctor asap.

Thanks all.

Again, our issue is sort of related but my creatinine (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatinine) was just fine and my kidneys are well.

Perrier and Pellegrino are salty beverages and dehydrate you, hence may cause the cramps.

Drink regular water.

• Like 3
  • Author
Yes, I think the foot itchiness is related to allergies, either through contact (something on your bed), or foot allergies. It might be contact, since it seems to only happen when you're in bed.

No, I don't think you have kidney failure. It would be much more obvious.

I do think there are some mineral imbalances, though. I'd reduce the sodium intake (V8).

Check with a doctor if you are concerned, though, of course.

Okay thanks... I feel a bit better now.

It's just that my doctor, when telling me to lay off so much mineral water and start drinking regular, mentioned something about the kidneys.

So when I read what I did, I freaked a little cause I know kidney disease can be really serious.

But no I have NO other symptoms at all... and there are quite a few of them.

That said, going forward I will start drinking regular water instead of the mineral... cut down on the OJ... thank you for ALL your help and support I really appreciate it! :bunny:

• Author
I hear you. I've had the same symptoms for a few months. Very severe too.

No need to be a doctor to tell you that drinking a lot of water may reduce the pain or just cancel them at all. And like you it would wake me up every effing night and prevent me from sleeping again. I drink fairly moderately too, I don't know the 'cause' of that.

Walking a bit and going in circles at your place is the right suggestion, sure, that's not something someone want to do early in the morning or in the middle of the night but it helps me.

Next time you see the doc, tell him/her.

Shanex sorry I missed this earlier. You too? Yeah super painful, right? Sometimes the pain is so bad, I cry, seriously. :(

So I guess the message I need to be paying attention to here is drink more WATER. Regular water.

I might save a ton of $$ too (since I will be drinking less of the expensive stuff).

• Like 2
Shanex sorry I missed this earlier. You too? Yeah super painful, right? I cried once all by myself it as so bad. :(

So I guess the message I need to be paying attention to here is drink more WATER. Regular water.

I might save a ton of $$ too (since I will be drinking less of the expensive stuff).

Speaking of physical pain, I've been through worse (as we're talking kidneys, kidneys stones are hell) but yeah cramps when they happen feel like they won't go away whatever stupid pose I am trying to make in my bed.

White wine is known to trigger cramps, but you have stated before you barely drink alcohol so...

Katie, I looked at what's in the Perrier water. It looks like calcium is the primary mineral in it, and not much magnesium. In that case, it makes sense that it would cause cramps. Calcium contracts muscles. Magnesium relaxes them. So, it could be that your body has too much calcium from drinking the mineral water.

Too much calcium can cause kidney stones.

• Like 2
  • Author
Katie, I looked at what's in the Perrier water. It looks like calcium is the primary mineral in it, and not much magnesium. In that case, it makes sense that it would cause cramps. Calcium contracts muscles. Magnesium relaxes them. So, it could be that your body has too much calcium from drinking the mineral water.

Too much calcium can cause kidney stones.

Thanks no more mineral water for me....

I am glad I started this thread, it has helped tremendously.

You guys the best... :)

Speaking of physical pain, I've been through worse (as we're talking kidneys, kidneys stones are hell) but yeah cramps when they happen feel like they won't go away whatever stupid pose I am trying to make in my bed.

White wine is known to trigger cramps, but you have stated before you barely drink alcohol so...

Icramp so much I've mostly become immune to the pain of them. Though sometimes the pain will have me in cold sweats, I don't actually *feel* the pain, if it makes sense?? The muscle pain the next day is much worse!

I always cramp more when I drink, mostly because I become dehydrated. You can be dehydrated without knowing it. Being thirsty is a severe sign of dehydration, the process starts much sooner!

I think that's a topic NOT suitable for a forum advice - you need to see a d-r, especially if so strong and repetitive!

Drinking water etc won't resolve a neurological problem, and some things (clots) can be potentially life-threatening.

Let us know what the d-r says.

• Like 1
  • Author
Icramp so much I've mostly become immune to the pain of them. Though sometimes the pain will have me in cold sweats, I don't actually *feel* the pain, if it makes sense?? The muscle pain the next day is much worse!

I always cramp more when I drink, mostly because I become dehydrated. You can be dehydrated without knowing it. Being thirsty is a severe sign of dehydration, the process starts much sooner!

Hi ASG, I am trying to figure out what you're experiencing cause if you felt cramping like I described, you would definitely feel it!

So you just walk around with cramping muscles all day? With cold sweats?

But you have become immune to it?

How much do you drink (alcohol)?

Yeah you may be dehydrated if you drink a lot but damn what you are experiencing sounds pretty horrible.

What does *your* doctor say about it?

Anyhoo, last night I drank 16 onces of fresh purified water (no mineral) before bed and woke up with zero cramping today! Yay.

I *will* be seeing my doctor though...who will probably have me undergo a blood test in case something more serious is going on.

• Like 1

Do you have spider veins or varicose veins? I used to have the symptoms you are describing minus the toe paralysis. I would awaken at night with these awful cramps in my left leg that would take about 10-15 minutes to resolve. I would usually have to put a heating pad on my calf to get rid of the pain. It turned out that I had venous reflux in my left leg, which caused me to have a few varicose veins. I went to get the veins removed for cosmetic reasons, and the doctor asked if I ever had cramps because that was a side effect. I had an ultrasound of my left leg, and it showed venous reflux. Since I got the veins removed, I have had no problems.

Initially, I thought it was an electrolyte imbalance or dehydration. I definitely agree that you should see your doc to at least let him check your blood count and electrolytes. Let us know what happens.

• Like 1
  • Author
Do you have spider veins or varicose veins? I used to have the symptoms you are describing minus the toe paralysis. I would awaken at night with these awful cramps in my left leg that would take about 10-15 minutes to resolve. I would usually have to put a heating pad on my calf to get rid of the pain. It turned out that I had venous reflux in my left leg, which caused me to have a few varicose veins. I went to get the veins removed for cosmetic reasons, and the doctor asked if I ever had cramps because that was a side effect. I had an ultrasound of my left leg, and it showed venous reflux. Since I got the veins removed, I have had no problems.

Initially, I thought it was an electrolyte imbalance or dehydration. I definitely agree that you should see your doc to at least let him check your blood count and electrolytes. Let us know what happens.

No I do not have any varicose or spider veins. Thank goodness! :)

Yes I will call my doc on Monday.

In the meantime I stocked up on lots of fresh purified water and drank lots of it today ....none of the mineral stuff anymore. Ran and did yoga and feel really good! :bunny:

Hopefully when I wake tomorrow all will be well like it was this morn.

Appreciate your input though and I am glad you got those veins removed.... both for health and cosmetic reasons!

How does one develop those ... do you know? Are they hereditary? My mom didn't have so hopefully I'm safe in that department.

I really do feel in my gut that it was all the mineral water I was drinking as simple as that might sound. My doctor warned me about it.

It actually dehydrated me instead of hydrating...... due to the high sodium content, and I drank ALOT of it and NO regular.

sooshi mentioned that, tnx sooshi!

Edited by katiegrl

Actually, it was Shanex who specifically mentioned that those drinks were salty and dehydrating. :) Thank you, Shanex. :)

I'm glad you didn't experience any cramping this morning. Hopefully it'll stay that way. Let us know what about the results of your doctor's appointment.

Varicose veins happen when the valves and veins are weakened in your legs. When the valves don't work properly, blood pools up in the legs, and pressure builds up. The veins become twisted and swollen.

• Like 2
How does one develop those ... do you know? Are they hereditary? My mom didn't have so hopefully I'm safe in that department.

The doctor told me they are often hereditary, but certain things can make them worse like being overweight, pregnancy, or a profession where you are on your feet a lot. I noticed some veins about 6 years ago, but they weren't that bad. I don't have spider veins, but I did have one varicose vein that bothered me. I decided to get it fixed because it is covered by insurance if you have venous reflux. I used to get self-conscious wearing shorts or a dress.

Save

I just want to add that sooshi has given some excellent advice here. Are you in medicine, sooshi?

As far as the magnesium, I take the glycinate form (400 mg). It has done wonders. There is a way to titer up to four a day (recommended) and get around the trips to the bathroom. I did. I also do mega doses of all the Bs. If I'm not peeing neon yellow, it's not enough. :lmao:

I no longer have charlie horses or those damned foot cramps, and I sleep like a baby. My teeth grinding is a whole lot better as well.

Th numbness could simply be a consequence of the extended cramping, but best to get it checked out just the same.

I tested water for eleven years, checking water from all over for the world's largest beverage maker (think beer). I tell everyone I know that if you live in the states, and have treated water coming out of your tap, there is absolutely no reason to drink anything bottled. In fact, we ran tests on Perrier once, and found benzene in it. So, save the money!

• Author

I thank everyone for their advice but yeah sooshi and Shanex were very helpful.

You too Midwest as I did not know that tap was considered safe and healthy to drink ...I always thought it contained certain minerals that were not good for us.

What I like about Perrier and Pellegrino was the sparkling element. The fizziness.

Today I'm going out to buy SodaSteam to make regular water fizzy.

Oh and no cramps again today guys second day in a row!

Yesterday I drank nearly three bottles of purified water, 33.8 oz each.

Yeah I think I was definitely dehydrated.

Even my skin looks great today! All soft and dewey looking..... added bonus! :)

I am really REALLY glad I started this thread!

• Like 1

Tap water in the states is treated with fluoride for your teeth; you don't want to miss that by drinking bottled. I know there's an anti fluoride movement out there, but the one ppm that protects our teeth isn't going to kill us. The only other minerals in it are supposed to be there. Hardness is a measure of calcium and magnesium, and neither will hurt you at the levels present. I've not seen water in the states that's high in sodium, unless it's softened.

I would be interested to know how fizzing your water changes the pH. I'm not worried about your stomach, as it's acidic enough anyway, but there's that little matter of tooth enamel!

Everything in moderation and you'll be fine. I made my own V8 the other day, no salt added. Threw in some tomatoes, bell peppers, and hot peppers and Ninjaed it. Left all the skins on too. I felt energized. More so than with my bad coffee/energy drink habit, which I'm trying to curtail. :D

• Like 1

Aww, thanks, Midwest. :) I'm on my way to becoming a holistic nutritionist. :)

The water issue can be tricky. I'm personally not in favour of just tap water, because of what can be found in it--residues of birth-control pills, antibiotics, and more. It depends on how well your local municipality filters the water.

Katie, if you're drinking purified water, I would suggest adding trace mineral drops to your water. Purified water is considered to be dead water, so adding a few drops of trace minerals into your water will make it "alive" again.

I would be mindful of drinking too much of the Soda Stream. In the end, I don't think it's much different than the sparkling waters. I do understand the allure of fizziness, though.

Like Midwest said, everything in moderation and you'll be fine. :)

And Midwest... mmm, your homemade V8 sounds yummy!! :)

• Like 1
Hi ASG, I am trying to figure out what you're experiencing cause if you felt cramping like I described, you would definitely feel it!

So you just walk around with cramping muscles all day? With cold sweats?

But you have become immune to it?

How much do you drink (alcohol)?

Yeah you may be dehydrated if you drink a lot but damn what you are experiencing sounds pretty horrible.

What does *your* doctor say about it?

Anyhoo, last night I drank 16 onces of fresh purified water (no mineral) before bed and woke up with zero cramping today! Yay.

I *will* be seeing my doctor though...who will probably have me undergo a blood test in case something more serious is going on.

The bad cramps in my legs only happen when I'm asleep and stretch my legs too much. I definitely feel them, but they don't *hurt*. Not exactly anyway. So I just either walk them off or put my foot on the wall.

If I'm really tired my feet will also cramp. That one has to be walked off.

I even have cramps on my hips when having sex. Because they don't hurt, I sometimes power through and then I'm in agony the next day.

Being in a pool always triggers cramping for me as well. I need to be alert to stop them before they fully form.

I've just become used to it. I don't wake up with cramps every day, and when I do its usually a mixof tiredness and dehydration (I do drink a significant amount of alcohol and not really enough water). Most days I just have a threat of a cramp that I can stop before it becomes a proper one.

Yay for the no cramping though!!

Aww, thanks, Midwest. :) I'm on my way to becoming a holistic nutritionist. :)

The water issue can be tricky. I'm personally not in favour of just tap water, because of what can be found in it--residues of birth-control pills, antibiotics, and more. It depends on how well your local municipality filters the water.

And Midwest... mmm, your homemade V8 sounds yummy!! :)

You're going to be great, already are!

As for the organics, point taken. It depends not only on the treatment, but the source. As the saying goes, the solution to pollution is dilution. We have plenty of water here. I've had to test during both droughts and floods; each presents it's own issues. Floods drag the nitrates out of the farm fields. The US limit on nitrates is 44 ppm. In general, tho, they aren't usually an issue. Drought just concentrates everything that's already there.

I might invest in my own purifier if I lived on a coast. If you live in Colorado, you're Golden (oh, wait, cannibis!). But seriously, Fort Collins has the best water.

AFAIK, testing for antibiotics and hormones would be extremely cost prohibitive. Kinda scary. One can only hope that the treatment methods take some of it out.

You know what I don't like for drinking? Softened water. My client softens theirs (believing it to be good for their triplets), and the ice cubes give an off taste to my Coke. First world problem, I know!

And, I'd have to look it up, but I'm not certain 'purified' always means demineralized. It may just refer to organics. Correct me if I'm wrong, or maybe some are and some aren't. Distilled would definitely be demineralized. I like my minerals, to an extent. I've lived on super hard well water, and it was as bad as the softened. Middle ground is good!

Yep, they were my own tomatoes and peppers. No spraying allowed. Just a quick rinse off of the dog urine. :lmao:

• Like 1

All this talk about purified water, demineralized water, Perrier, etc., reminded me of something my Doc told me years ago. Tap water is usually the best. It has a balance of minerals put in it by nature, not man. As long as it has no germs in it, it really does beat the water you buy at the store all to *ell :)