Affairs with happy endings - share your story

I have a genuine question for those that had the happy ending. Is trust an issue in your relationships, and if it is, how do you deal with the potential problems it may present? If I were to start a relationship as an affair, I fear I would always be terrified that 1, 5, 10 years down the road when our relationship no longer has that new car smell or we run into typical marital problems, my former AP now spouse will revert to the old coping mechanisms that led them to look for solutions to their marital problems outside their previous marriage. How do you deal with those thoughts, and how corrosive are they to your new relationships?

Was it obvious immediately from the start your AP will leave? Did it take you time to even discuss this or first you just enjoyed your stolen moments together? Did your AP at the start say they will never leave their marriage because they are afraid of hurting everyone in the process and disappointing so many people in their lives?What did make them gain courage? What made them change their mind? How long did your affair last before ending happily?

Initially neither of us were wanting a full-time R. He had recently taken his (nowX)W back after a split, and because of the trauma that had caused the kids he was resigned to staying - even though she broke all the promises she made to get him to take her back. The A was his way of finding some way to survive in a toxic M he felt he was doomed to until the kids were grown. But over time we fell in love - our A lasted little over three years. During this time we decided we wanted to be together. He spoke to the kids, who were older by now, and they had seen how awful the M was, and were supportive of him dumping her. So he and the kids moved out, I joined them a few months later, and when the D was finalised, we got M.

He gained courage to leave because of a number of factors:

* he saw what a normal, happy R was like, through the A, and realised how awful the M was by comparison

* we were an open couple among his friends, family etc and they all supported him to leave her (they'd urged him not to take her back, previously)

* he went to IC, which helped him work through everything

* the kids got counselling, and they dealt with their issues around the first split, etc

* her own behaviour just got worse and worse.

We've been happily M for many years now. The kids are long grown and moved on, and even xBW seems to have found someone. So wins all round.

• Like 1
I have a genuine question for those that had the happy ending. Is trust an issue in your relationships, and if it is, how do you deal with the potential problems it may present? If I were to start a relationship as an affair, I fear I would always be terrified that 1, 5, 10 years down the road when our relationship no longer has that new car smell or we run into typical marital problems, my former AP now spouse will revert to the old coping mechanisms that led them to look for solutions to their marital problems outside their previous marriage. How do you deal with those thoughts, and how corrosive are they to your new relationships?

No, no trust issues at all. He was loyal and faithful to her for 30-odd years, despite how awfully she treated him. He is by nature faithful, loyal, trusting, and has impeccable integrity. It was just a perfect storm for him, too many factors and pushed beyond his limits.

And frankly, if I treat him as badly as she did, then I deserve to be treated far worse than she got.

• Like 3

Happy endings maybe for the WS and the AP, not so happy endings for the BS who finds her/himself a divorcee, and the kids who are now out of a broken home...

• Like 3

No we don't have trust issues.

He had never cheated before. And had talked to his ex many times about what was making him unhappy. I read several letters she had written him where she acknowledged he had said he was unhappy but she was unwilling to do anything about it.

I had been in a marriage like that preivously, and my ex husband didnt care that I had issues with our marriage and told me he never thought I would actually leave. I divorced him before I ever met my husband.

• Like 2

I never cheated before,and our EA was very brief. Still, I betrayed my STBXH's trust. Never in a million years did I think it would happen to me. It did. Now I think it can happen to just about anyone.

I can't say his wife was so terrible,he was pushed in to cheating, it was a once off. His wife was ok, it just wasnt working for them so much and he and I fell in love. Same goes for my marriage.

As far as I'm concerned, trust is something we need to pay attention to. He feels differently, but I never wanted an affair and wouldnt have sex outside my marriage. He was willing, so he understands I need more reassurance than he does. I don't worry now. Now is great. I want to try and build enough communication skills and conflict management between us,that can help us later on, when the initial excitement wears off.

To the OP- have a chat with your AP. Did you ever share with him that you want more out of this relationship?

• Like 1
Happy endings maybe for the WS and the AP, not so happy endings for the BS who finds her/himself a divorcee, and the kids who are now out of a broken home...

Eh, everyone is fine here. If the b.s. is still unhappy after all this time then she needs to look within herself, as my h and I did in order to foster a healthy relationship.

• Like 2

No trust issues at all for us. Like Coco he was married to his ex for over thirty years and was faithful. This was his only affair, it is not in his nature to cheat. He would leave first.

Edited by goodyblue
  • Like 1

It was evident that my xMM was going to continue cake eating in spite of all the future faking, for as long as I allowed it. In addition to that, I realized that a lot of his personality traits were something I could not tolerate even if he'd left. So when I left him, it was painful for a bit, mostly because I felt kind of betrayed that he was not the person I thought he was, but I also realized that that in doing so, it gave me the freedom to find a relationship with a wonderful and available man. So at the end of the day, in spite of all of the grief, I got my happy ending. Sans xMM.

• Like 4

All a matter of where you are in the three way or sometimes four way impact.

Person marries A. Then has a fling with B. He leaves A and marries B. Five years later .. He finds "c". Leaves B and shacks up in happy bliss with c. C refuses to marry.. She has far more assets and doesn't want to share.. He is content. One day she gets cancer.. He is devoted to her care. Leg amputated and she is housebound. He asks again to marry.. She says no. Six months later he is the one in icu. Heart failure. He passes. She quickly takes all his belongings ( he was a coin collector) and she sells it all. Valued at over 50k.

In comes the appointed executor of his will.. And all the items that were of value were gone. So yes.. There is the happy ending for person "c". All a matter of perspective.

Ten children who were bequeathed items found out just how happy endings work.

I appauld those AP who think (disillusionally) that the kids are better off ..

Our family is proof otherwise. We lost a parent and any token of his heritage.. What we did learn and cannot be bequeathed is that extra marital affairs have caused more damage then bliss. But please don't let families get in the way of true love.. And the happily ever after..

• Like 6

I learned that I have a responsibility to make myself happy, it's no one else's job.

this quote is something that should be pinned at the top of every forum on here...

• Like 4

My MM is in the middle of the divorce. I am not sure if this is happy ending. but I am happy he and I are heading to the direction that both of us wanted and I am happy he and I are have a normal relationship soon.

WeI have been together for about 2 years. He had been unhappy for a very long time before he met me. he wanted to leave, but was not ready financially and emotionally. She had some Health issues. That was also one of the big concerns, cause he felt sorry for her. A year into the affair, he told me he would leave and ask me to give him a year to get his ducks in a row and also because his wife's health were getting a lot better

Along the process, I never questioned that he was unhappy and wanted to leave, but there were times I got really frustrated and wanted walked away from this because I wanted it to happen sooner.

If the b.s. is still unhappy after all this time then she needs to look within herself, as my h and I did in order to foster a healthy relationship.

I dunno about that - I'm pretty sure that the devastation and trauma of being lied to, betrayed, and abandoned by the one person who you are supposed to be able to trust more than anyone in the world might mess you up pretty good. I don't know if anyone should be allowed to put a time limit on healing from that much less accuse them of not looking within for healing - BSs are often diagnosed with PTSD because whatever we thought we knew about ourselves, our lives, our worth is shattered to a million tiny pieces. Likewise, APs who don't "win" spend years pining over the ambiguous loss associated with not getting picked over the wife... depression isn't something you just "get over with already." If my WH came to me and said, "God, I wish you'd jut get over my affair already - it's been x number of months, maybe you need to look deeper within yourself..." I'd kick him so hard he'd have balls for tonsils.

goodyblue, how long have you been married to your H and how long was the A before divorce papers were filed? And without meaning to sound smug - I ask out of pure curiosity and I hope for honesty not to make you feel defensive - did you not feel any guilt over the betrayed spouse's feelings? And if yes, how did you get past those feelings? Do they ever crop up? I don't know if I could cope, especially if there were kids involved.

To Lilya4ever, what are your thoughts about happy endings now that you've read some of the outcomes?

• Like 6
I dunno about that - I'm pretty sure that the devastation and trauma of being lied to, betrayed, and abandoned by the one person who you are supposed to be able to trust more than anyone in the world might mess you up pretty good. I don't know if anyone should be allowed to put a time limit on healing from that much less accuse them of not looking within for healing - BSs are often diagnosed with PTSD because whatever we thought we knew about ourselves, our lives, our worth is shattered to a million tiny pieces. Likewise, APs who don't "win" spend years pining over the ambiguous loss associated with not getting picked over the wife... depression isn't something you just "get over with already." If my WH came to me and said, "God, I wish you'd jut get over my affair already - it's been x number of months, maybe you need to look deeper within yourself..." I'd kick him so hard he'd have balls for tonsils.

goodyblue, how long have you been married to your H and how long was the A before divorce papers were filed? And without meaning to sound smug - I ask out of pure curiosity and I hope for honesty not to make you feel defensive - did you not feel any guilt over the betrayed spouse's feelings? And if yes, how did you get past those feelings? Do they ever crop up? I don't know if I could cope, especially if there were kids involved.

To Lilya4ever, what are your thoughts about happy endings now that you've read some of the outcomes?

Lobe, while I do understand your feelings on the matter, I wasn't giving a 'time limit'. I simply feel that you cannot waste years of your life allowing past hurts to ruin the now. The only person that is going to help her is HER. My h and I both know we hurt his ex. But she is the one that has to move on. We have. Her daughter has. my h and I went through the things we needed to forgive ourselves for what we did. Therapy, both IC and CC for both of us. We did the work in order to have a good, fulfilling, functional relationship and that is what we have. Our a was less than a year. We have been together for several years. More than five less than ten.

I find it interesting how bs's talk about the betrayal of less than a year ruining someone's life when my h's ex betrayed him by not being sexually intimate for 12 years, not being emotionally close for longer than that, for refusing therapy IC and cc, for refusing AA or any kind of rehab as opposed to being sloppy drunk all the time and many more things. Over a decade of that, of my h trying to get through it, trying to make things better, trying to raise his daughter and less than a year of an a is worse? Well, that is a matter of opinion, isn't it?

I don't know your circumstances and I don't judge you by them, I think that we have one life and we shouldn't waste it. I intend to enjoy every minute of mine with my h and that is my focus.

As for feeling bad about his ex. I didn't feel bad at the time of the a. I felt bad later when I realized she didn't know how to function without him, but I honestly don't think her upset about the a was about love. The only thing that ever came up was her losing his income, that she would have to keep working her part time job until retirement age, on and on about money, not a single time did she say she missed HIM, only what he could provide.

I understand that affairs devastate the people affected by them, but you can't let it ruin your life. If my h left me today I would be devastated. But I would move on and be happy because I don't want to be unhappy and I have the choice to not be.

I realize I sound cold when I post, I don't feel that way, but I certainly am over being put through the ringer, and was attacked so harshly when I was in the middle of my a by people on this forum that I stick around to help those that find themselves where I was, come here and get roasted by BS who think they are being helpful when they are being hurtful.

My life has been a great one and is truly wonderful since meeting my h. And I am sorry but, while I do believe my h made the decision th engage in a short a with me and then leave, I believe decisions she made even as he begged her to do other things, to work with him on the m etc, had a huge impact on him taking that step and she should acknowledge that but for some reason bs think that an affair erases all the sh*tty things that they did and gives them a free pass to say they were perfect and the a ruined it all. I don't believe it and never will. I am not blaming bs for the affair, but please take responsibility for their part in the failed marriage. He should have left before we were together, I agree, but you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube, so we move forward, happier, trying to be better people, being good parents to our kids, we have 7 together, and being involved in our community, charities, fundraisers, school functions etc. Our community accepts us and we really are fine.

I wish his ex would clean up her act, stop drinking, find someone who is like her to be content with. She deserves a shot at happiness like the rest of us. But that is up to her. She ruined years of my h's life with her and he moved on, with reason. So should she.

My happy ending story.

I was in a sh*t marriage with two daughters, aged 6 and 1.

October 1999: Met AP at a club my social circle frequented. Fell in love at first sight. Kept my feelings to myself and treated him as I did everyone else.

December 1999: AP comes to my house along with a mix of friends for a party. When the booze ran out, I wouldn't allow anyone to drive to resupply. I volunteered to walk to the nearest open store. AP came with me. It was late, everything was closed, we walked for an hour to get to an open store and an hour back, talking the whole way. A week later, he called me and asked me to meet him at the club. We had our first date and first kiss.

January 2000: On New Years Day, our affair became physical. A couple weeks later, we were exchanging I love you's. I told my exH I was in love with my AP, that I was ending our sham marriage, that I wanted to file for divorce as soon as finances allowed, and went public with my relationship with AP.

June 2000: I turned 25 and AP and I were talking about marriage when I was free to remarry.

July 2000: We had stopped using birth control sometime between February and March, so it's no big surprise that I conceived.

April 2001: Our son is born.

October 2002: My divorce is finalized.

December 2002: AP becomes DH.

I couldn't be happier. DH is my heart and soul. We have a good life together. Bought and paid for a house, raised a total of 3 kids together (DD1 is 22, DD2 will be 18 next month, and DS is 15), have a couple of decent cars, a few great pets, and are looking forward to what we will do with our lives once the last of the chicks leaves the nest. I want to buy a Tiny House and wander, DH is not so sure.

To answer some questions I have seen upthread,

Do either of us have trust issues? No.

Do I feel guilty? No. My exH was a real piece of work and had multiple affairs of his own.

Do we conceal how we met and when we fell in love? No. Not to friends, family, or the kids.

• Like 1
I find it interesting how bs's talk about the betrayal of less than a year ruining someone's life when my h's ex betrayed him by not being sexually intimate for 12 years, not being emotionally close for longer than that, for refusing therapy IC and cc, for refusing AA or any kind of rehab as opposed to being sloppy drunk all the time and many more things.

It sounds like what you are talking about is a man who was married to an alcoholic, which is in some ways a very different ball of wax than a lot of affairs where the reason the wayward steps out is boredom or ego kibbles or taking advantage of an available opportunity because why not. I think people married to people with addictions and/or mental illness are an especially tough group to talk about because how do you NOT look at the person who left their partner at their lowest as a demon? And that applies with or without an affair in the mix. Parents dealing with kids who are addicts or who suffer from serious mental illness face the same struggle - how can I abandon my child? What will people think of me?

Over a decade of that, of my h trying to get through it, trying to make things better, trying to raise his daughter and less than a year of an a is worse? Well, that is a matter of opinion, isn't it?

I don't think it can be looked at as a p*ssing contest. And yes, it a matter of opinion which like assh*les, all of us have even if some are way off base and others are spot on... confirmation bias will determine which camp we sit in ;) lol

I understand that affairs devastate the people affected by them, but you can't let it ruin your life. If my h left me today I would be devastated. But I would move on and be happy because I don't want to be unhappy and I have the choice to not be.

With all due respect, your husband left a person who sounds like she had alcoholism and depression in the mix, and maybe you could say that your DH should have not have gotten involved with her or should have left her sooner but he couldn't put toothpaste back in THAT tube either. Being an addict or having a mental illness (or both) isn't about a simple "choice" to be happy.

I wish his ex would clean up her act, stop drinking, find someone who is like her to be content with. She deserves a shot at happiness like the rest of us. But that is up to her. She ruined years of my h's life with her and he moved on, with reason. So should she.

I agree that it would be ideal for your husband's BS to get help and get healthy, but I don't think I quite buy the logic "she ruined years of my h's life." In the same way you expect her to take responsibility for the problems she created in the M, he "ruined" his life all by himself, for decades, and needs to be accountable every bit as much as she does for the problems in their marriage - the enabler in a codependent relationship doesn't get to blame the person for "making" them be an enabler. That's the nature of codependent relationships - it TOTALLY takes two to make them work. I don't doubt that your husband thought he was doing the "right" thing by staying with his codependent wife - that whole in sickness and in health, for better or worse thing gone really really wrong...

I say this kindly and with total respect for the horrible position it sounds like your husband was in, but in cases like this I wonder if him leaving for another woman wasn't a more palatable spin on the demise of the marriage than him leaving her because he just couldn't bear to deal with her anymore. Lots of waywards cite mental or physical illness as the reason they feel they cannot abandon their betrayed spouse. I don't doubt for a second there would be intense amounts of guilt and shame for walking away from the person you vowed to love and shelter when they are at their lowest because you have a shot at happiness. Creates a very different dynamic for sure.

Lilya4ever, I'm still curious if you feel like you've gotten an answer you like or can relate to? Are you gaining any insight into your own situation?

• Like 2
MidnightBlue1980

You are lucky it worked out for you. So many of us, myself included, have wasted a lot of love, time and energy on men in marriages where they cry on our shoulders about how their wives shut them out emotionally and sexually. Typically they go right running back to the wife once it all comes out because all they really wanted in the first place was the wife's love and attention, not ours.

Your statement that she ruined years of your husband's life bothered me because your husband had a responsibility as an adult to fix his own crap. This is not against your husband since you seem happy but if all these people would address the issues in their own marriages and themselves - before and not after the affair, instead of acting like victims, a lot less tears would be shed by other people dragged into the mire.

• Like 4
You are lucky it worked out for you. So many of us, myself included, have wasted a lot of love, time and energy on men in marriages where they cry on our shoulders about how their wives shut them out emotionally and sexually. Typically they go right running back to the wife once it all comes out because all they really wanted in the first place was the wife's love and attention, not ours.

Your statement that she ruined years of your husband's life bothered me because your husband had a responsibility as an adult to fix his own crap. This is not against your husband since you seem happy but if all these people would address the issues in their own marriages and themselves - before and not after the affair, instead of acting like victims, a lot less tears would be shed by other people dragged into the mire.

Completely agree. That is why the therapy was.so helpful with us.

Since my emotional affair with a coworker started it was all new to me and also very scary.

I came to Loveshack back in Dec 2014 when I was in a new EA with a coworker like you and yes, it is very scary, and I got a really good wake up call on that thread. Before I share what I think is my happy ending, I'll tell you advice that helped me the most. I don't know if you are married or not but...

Steen719 wrote "If you don't want to be married, then end the marriage with compassion, dignity and honesty so that both of you and your child can move forward in life with your heads up. Believe me; I know what a divorce like this can do to your kids."

So I eventually separated from my H and disclosed my feelings about the EA partner to my husband. I went into therapy and did lots of work on myself using a ton of different modalities. In the end, it was a dark night of my soul but it was also a spiritual awakening for me.

I wrote a new post that updates the lives of all four of us.

I feel thankful that my betrayal wasn't physical because co-parenting and my relationship with my husband is really quite good because I took action with my marriage and myself before my life spiraled out of control.

I feel like I worked through my stuff and feel that my EAP really mirrored the things I needed to work on for myself. You think it is about them when you are going through it, and you get better when you realize it is really all about you and how you have abandoned yourself. I know I mirrored my EAP's stuff back to him too and he's been going through this painful process of rebuilding his sense of self and his life too. That is why I think of it as a twin flame journey more than anything else - the love you feel for them ignites your own love for yourself and in my case, my connection with a higher power/source energy/God.

So in short, it was an awakening for me. Once you start working on your self, get off of LS ... there is so much despair here that once you learn your lessons from the community about what is going on with this dynamic, go to more uplifting and optimistic places. Good luck to you.

"Nothing ever goes away until it teaches us what we need to know." - Pema Chodron

It sounds like what you are talking about is a man who was married to an alcoholic, which is in some ways a very different ball of wax than a lot of affairs where the reason the wayward steps out is boredom or ego kibbles or taking advantage of an available opportunity because why not. I think people married to people with addictions and/or mental illness are an especially tough group to talk about because how do you NOT look at the person who left their partner at their lowest as a demon? And that applies with or without an affair in the mix. Parents dealing with kids who are addicts or who suffer from serious mental illness face the same struggle - how can I abandon my child? What will people think of me?

I don't think it can be looked at as a p*ssing contest. And yes, it a matter of opinion which like assh*les, all of us have even if some are way off base and others are spot on... confirmation bias will determine which camp we sit in ;) lol

With all due respect, your husband left a person who sounds like she had alcoholism and depression in the mix, and maybe you could say that your DH should have not have gotten involved with her or should have left her sooner but he couldn't put toothpaste back in THAT tube either. Being an addict or having a mental illness (or both) isn't about a simple "choice" to be happy.

I agree that it would be ideal for your husband's BS to get help and get healthy, but I don't think I quite buy the logic "she ruined years of my h's life." In the same way you expect her to take responsibility for the problems she created in the M, he "ruined" his life all by himself, for decades, and needs to be accountable every bit as much as she does for the problems in their marriage - the enabler in a codependent relationship doesn't get to blame the person for "making" them be an enabler. That's the nature of codependent relationships - it TOTALLY takes two to make them work. I don't doubt that your husband thought he was doing the "right" thing by staying with his codependent wife - that whole in sickness and in health, for better or worse thing gone really really wrong...

I say this kindly and with total respect for the horrible position it sounds like your husband was in, but in cases like this I wonder if him leaving for another woman wasn't a more palatable spin on the demise of the marriage than him leaving her because he just couldn't bear to deal with her anymore. Lots of waywards cite mental or physical illness as the reason they feel they cannot abandon their betrayed spouse. I don't doubt for a second there would be intense amounts of guilt and shame for walking away from the person you vowed to love and shelter when they are at their lowest because you have a shot at happiness. Creates a very different dynamic for sure.

Lilya4ever, I'm still curious if you feel like you've gotten an answer you like or can relate to? Are you gaining any insight into your own situation?

He stuck around for over 3 decades. He didn't have other affairs. Things weren't bad until the last 15 years. And he says that then, he kept trying to get back what they were. When she ultimately refused any kind of therapy he was about done. Having me in the picture (we have known one another since 1992 or so) was not the issue. We have always been friends and liked one another, never crossing boundaries, until the end when he was done and we just clicked.

I don't know if he would have left without me, but the marriage was over even if he stayed in that house and lived his own life.

Religion also played a big role. He was a Catholic Deacon and had to step down from that in order to pursue our relationship. We have both been through a lot to be together. It's worth it and we are happy. Anything else is white noise to us. We take care of us, our kids, then everything else comes after.

• Like 1

I agree with lobe #42

It sounds like what you are talking about is a man who was married to an alcoholic, which is in some ways a very different ball of wax than a lot of affairs where the reason the wayward steps out is boredom or ego kibbles or taking advantage of an available opportunity because why not.

There are some schools of thought that say that alchoholism isn't a choice it's an illness. I'm not sure I buy that.

There is also an argument that the alchoholic is actually cheating, because their primary relationship is with alchohol, not the spouse.

Whatever way you look at it, it isn't a good place for the sober spouse, but I don't think it justifies cheating.

No trust issues at all for us. Like Coco he was married to his ex for over thirty years and was faithful. This was his only affair, it is not in his nature to cheat. He would leave first.

But...he did cheat so it's in his nature, and he could have left his other wife first so ...you can't really say "he'd leave first" cuz he didn't.

??? Sorry but this makes no sense to me

• Like 4
But...he did cheat so it's in his nature, and he could have left his other wife first so ...you can't really say "he'd leave first" cuz he didn't.

??? Sorry but this makes no sense to me

It actually went against his nature, he was tortured by it much more than I was at the time, left his marriage, waited three decades trying to do the right thing even if it wasn't the right thing for him. We have done a lot of work on ourselves to safeguard our relationship as much as we can and have great communication.

And if pushed far enough I think it is in anyone's nature. It is like saying you would never eat human flesh but when the plane goes down on top of a snow covered mountain and there is no food, you never know what you would do under those extreme circumstances. I don't worry at all.

I hope you didn't stay and try to reconcile with your cheater.

Edited by goodyblue
  • Like 1

I have posted my story here before, we are married now with a young baby. Not sure I can say happy ending, but the affair did end, we are now married, life has happened, everyone has moved on, things are peaceful, etc. etc.

• Like 1