Is Cheating Ever OK?

I'm starting to doubt my earlier opinions now.

I wouldn't go as far as saying cheating is ever ok, but after reading about a lot of different situations in here; I'm thinking that there are different types of cheating and that some are worse than others.

Cheating is an issue of morality and there aren't gray areas of morality. Wrong is wrong.

Why bother as a society to seek/pledge commitment if people can simply unilaterally decide to disrespect and invalidate the meaning of the word and then be exempted from being held accountable for that based on whatever criteria they decide supports their behavior?

• Like 1
Cheating is an issue of morality and there aren't gray areas of morality. Wrong is wrong.

Why bother as a society to seek/pledge commitment if people can simply unilaterally decide to disrespect and invalidate the meaning of the word and then be exempted from being held accountable for that based on whatever criteria they decide supports their behavior?

If it's an issue of morality, it depends on the individual and their morals - doesn't it?

What you judge as wrong and I judge as wrong may be completely different. We may be in different parts of the world, in fact I know we are... I'd say "grey" not "gray" ;) , where morals and accepted standards are different.

I read poor valerie's tale on this board yesterday and I was close to tears. The "man" involved was clearly a very nasty piece of work. Compared to Jack's scenario here; that was far, far worse in my opinion.

I'm starting to doubt my earlier opinions now.

I wouldn't go as far as saying cheating is ever ok, but after reading about a lot of different situations in here; I'm thinking that there are different types of cheating and that some are worse than others.

WHAT?

Cheating is cheating is cheating...it is never a "mistake". The situations may be different but the act itself and what comes after is pretty much the same across the board. It is a conscious decision made by a person regardless of situation.

When you start in with situational infidelity you begin to justify it. There are many other choices available to an unhappy partner than to lower oneself to that.

I'd submit to you it's not even the cheating that is so devastating , it's the lies that accompany it. We are defined by our actions, like it or not. It is just the way things are.

• Like 2
If it's an issue of morality, it depends on the individual and their morals - doesn't it?

What you judge as wrong and I judge as wrong may be completely different. We may be in different parts of the world, in fact I know we are... I'd say "grey" not "gray" ;) , where morals and accepted standards are different.

I read poor valerie's tale on this board yesterday and I was close to tears. The "man" involved was clearly a very nasty piece of work. Compared to Jack's scenario here; that was far, far worse in my opinion.

Morality is the set of socially acceptable/unacceptable standards for behavior which is intended to prevent people from conducting themselves in a manner(s) that are hurtful, destructive, harmful, etc. and keep humans from living like animals and to maintain peace and civility as a species.

Morality is not about individuals deciding what's right or wrong. Morality is a societal construct . . . and some elements are deontological. Either way, infidelity is not acceptable in Western society, at least, and people who choose infidelity are simply deciding that everyone else is wrong . . .

Morality is the set of socially acceptable/unacceptable standards for behavior which is intended to prevent people from conducting themselves in a manner(s) that are hurtful, destructive, harmful, etc. and keep humans from living like animals and to maintain peace and civility as a species.

Morality is not about individuals deciding what's right or wrong. Morality is a societal construct . . . and some elements are deontological. Either way, infidelity is not acceptable in Western society, at least, and people who choose infidelity are simply deciding that everyone else is wrong . . .

I'd rather consider myself as someone capable of making my own mind up, without relying on what society or religion tells me to think.... Especially when the majority of those in "public service" seem to be mainly looking out for their own pockets (and for the businesses that give them donations for their campaigning). We don't have to go with the flock, as cattle tend to do. The ability to form our own opinions and values based on the information at our disposal is what makes us human.

My opinion is that infidelity is generally wrong, but HOW wrong it is will vary depending on the circumstances in which it occurs.

So I respectfully disagree with you. I do not think it is so black and white - there are some GREY ( ;) ) areas.

• Author

Yes. Morality is a commonly accepted standard of right and wrong.

However, in Western culture we say cheating is wrong but accept divorce which is a form of cheating if we believe our religious tradition.

Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery, and the man who marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

Luke 16:18

I think most of us are merely saying cheating is wrong out of force of habit or social expectations. Technically, it's no different than divorce.

Edited by NeotericJack

That isn't quite correct N Jack.

The Bible teaches us it is permissible to divorce on the grounds of adultery.

Matthew 5:31 - 5:32

and comes down pretty heavy on cheating....

Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral. Hebrews Ch.13:4

Edited by Arieswoman
  • Author
That isn't quite correct N Jack.

The Bible teaches us it is permissible to divorce on the grounds of adultery.

Matthew 5:31 - 5:32

and comes down pretty heavy on cheating....

Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral. Hebrews Ch.13:4

OK. Cheating is an acceptable reason for divorce but it's not even among the top 10 reasons for divorce according to The 10 Most Common Reasons People Get Divorced | Huffington Post. To be fair, other lists have infidelity near the top but I didn't see a list which put it at the top.

Do you think cheating might be a better way to resolve any of the top 10 than divorce would be?

Edited by NeotericJack