Have u ever felt the Holy Spirit?

Cheryl11111111111111
Ok I completely understand why you'd think this way. It seems to make sense and it sounds right.

Now do you want to hear what the Word of God says through the prophets?

I do. I want to hear it!

• 3 weeks later...
I went to a church and all of a sudden ppl were acting weird shaking and falling down? They told me it was the Holy Spirit. Half of the people were feeling it. Has anyone ever encountered that before?

I grew up in churches that did these things. Some of it is fake (copying things that really happened in the past at the church), but some of it is very real. In my opinion, it is not usually the Holy Spirit but instead a manifestation of demons who are uncomfortable in the presence of God and the Holy Spirit. Since almost no one thinks they could be influenced by demons, they call it the Holy Spirit. The key difference I have found is a sense of peace and glorifying God. If it appears to bring disorder, strife, distraction, then it is demonic or the person seeking attention.

The Holy Spirit seeks to teach, comfort, and bring glory to God. Peace is the best way to describe His presence and what it feels like. It's indescribable but the best I can do is liken it to facing your worst fear right in front of you, yet you do not care or worry.

• Like 1

I've never felt that, but I've felt this:

Helps people grow the Fruit of the Spirit: Galatians 5:22-23 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law" (NIV)

And it was not easy. That's where the self-control comes in.

Holy Rollers do that kind of stuff. They'll also speak in tongues but nobody ever knows what they are saying afterwards.

My understanding of the New Testament showed examples of people who spoke in tongues but only those who could translate.

I'm not a practicing Christian but coming upon the teachings of my youth I remember learning about how Satan (and his demons) could present themselves as "angels of light."

In many cases I'm sure these angels of light are aiding the uncontrollable epileptic seizures / mass hysteria manifested in some of these churches.

• 2 weeks later...
Justanaverageguy

The Holy Spirit seeks to teach, comfort, and bring glory to God. Peace is the best way to describe His presence and what it feels like. It's indescribable but the best I can do is liken it to facing your worst fear right in front of you, yet you do not care or worry.

The Bible also says the Holy Spirit "tests" us. E.g. Luke 4:1

Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, left the Jordan and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness, where for forty days he was tempted by the devil. He ate nothing during those days, and at the end of them he was hungry.

Whilst it would be nice to believe that the spirit is just here to offer us comfort, peace and relieve our pain the truth is it is here to teach and improve us. It tests us to reveal and expose our weaknesses. It forces us to confront them and face the consequences if we don't fix them. From my experience it can be a very harsh teacher when we do not learn from our mistakes. The spirit is a big believer in the Carrot or the stick teaching method :)

Many seem to think if it's really the Holy Spirit it will be all sunshine, rainbows and lollipops - when in reality if it has really come to touch you then your likely about to go through one of the toughest testing periods of your life just like Jesus did. Typically this happens just around the age of 30 - your Saturn (Satan) return in astrology which is when the karma of your last 29 years returns to you and you are tested by the spirit on the lessons you were meant to learn. Many who experience this positively will describe it as being "born again" and have a very powerful spiritual experience at this time.

Edited by Justanaverageguy
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
BetheButterfly
The Bible also says the Holy Spirit "tests" us. E.g. Luke 4:1

Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, left the Jordan and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness, where for forty days he was tempted by the devil. He ate nothing during those days, and at the end of them he was hungry.

Your use of the word "test" motivated me to do a word search on "test" in the NIV. I think these verses are interesting:

"Some time later God tested Abraham..." - Genesis 22:1a

"Then the Lord said to Moses, “I will rain down bread from heaven for you. The people are to go out each day and gather enough for that day. In this way I will test them and see whether they will follow my instructions." - Exodus 16:4

Moses said to the people, “Do not be afraid. God has come to test you, so that the fear of God will be with you to keep you from sinning.” - Exodus 20:20

"Remember how the Lord your God led you all the way in the wilderness these forty years, to humble and test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands." - Deuteronomy 8:2

"He gave you manna to eat in the wilderness, something your ancestors had never known, to humble and test you so that in the end it might go well with you." - Deuteronomy 8:16

"you must not listen to the words of that prophet or dreamer. The Lord your God is testing you to find out whether you love him with all your heart and with all your soul." Deuteronomy 13:3

There are more verses in the Old Testament that talk about God testing us, but here are some in the New Testament:

"Those on the rocky ground are the ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in the time of testing they fall away." - Jesus (Luke 8:13)

"When Jesus looked up and saw a great crowd coming toward him, he said to Philip, “Where shall we buy bread for these people to eat?” 6 He asked this only to test him, for he already had in mind what he was going to do." - John 6:5-6

" For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, 13 their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. 14 If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. 15 If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.16 Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst?" - 1 Corinthians 3:11-16

"Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test? 6 And I trust that you will discover that we have not failed the test. 7 Now we pray to God that you will not do anything wrong—not so that people will see that we have stood the test but so that you will do what is right even though we may seem to have failed." - 2 Corinthians 13:5-7

"On the contrary, we speak as those approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel. We are not trying to please people but God, who tests our hearts." - 1 Thessalonians 2:4

"By faith Abraham, when God tested him, offered Isaac as a sacrifice. He who had embraced the promises was about to sacrifice his one and only son, 18 even though God had said to him, “It is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned.”[c] 19 Abraham reasoned that God could even raise the dead, and so in a manner of speaking he did receive Isaac back from death." - Hebrews 11:17-19

"Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him." - James 1:12 (NIV)

Whilst it would be nice to believe that the spirit is just here to offer us comfort, peace and relieve our pain the truth is it is here to teach and improve us. It tests us to reveal and expose our weaknesses. It forces us to confront them and face the consequences if we don't fix them. From my experience it can be a very harsh teacher when we do not learn from our mistakes. The spirit is a big believer in the Carrot or the stick teaching method :)
Very profound, thanks!!!

Many seem to think if it's really the Holy Spirit it will be all sunshine, rainbows and lollipops - when in reality if it has really come to touch you then your likely about to go through one of the toughest testing periods of your life just like Jesus did.
True!!!

Typically this happens just around the age of 30 - your Saturn (Satan) return in astrology which is when the karma of your last 29 years returns to you and you are tested by the spirit on the lessons you were meant to learn. Many who experience this positively will describe it as being "born again" and have a very powerful spiritual experience at this time

I disagree with the the astrology thing. In my experience, testing is not just in one year nor does it have to do with astrology, but happens on an ongoing basis after deciding to obey Jesus Christ. Sometimes we fail the test, but God in His mercy and love forgives us when we ask forgiveness of our sins and repent, and strive to obey Him!!! :)

Asking God for forgiveness and true repentance is very important, after failing a test. And, God often allows the same kind of test various times to help us mature, to see if we have truly learned our lessons.

Edited by BetheButterfly
  • Like 1
Justanaverageguy

I disagree with the the astrology thing. In my experience, testing is not just in one year nor does it have to do with astrology, but happens on an ongoing basis after deciding to obey Jesus Christ. Sometimes we fail the test, but God in His mercy and love forgives us when we ask forgiveness of our sins and repent, and strive to obey Him!!! :)

Asking God for forgiveness and true repentance is very important, after failing a test. And, God often allows the same kind of test various times to help us mature, to see if we have truly learned our lessons.

No your'e right - the testing is definitely an ongoing process. It continues for our entire life.

I'm open to all forms of spirituality as long as their message is pure - both christian and otherwise. For me Astrology is not something that offers me guidance in what to do or how to behave or even tells me the outcome of something. Rather it simply shows the cycles of life and periods when certain things will intensify or come to the surface. Nothing more really. I think that the church and christiantiy itself have interwoven many many astrological references into Christianity so I don't feel that they are mutually exclusive.

The Saturn return as it is called is known to be the period when we transition from youth into adulthood. Its a significant change in the purpose of our lives. In astrology its known as the time when the lessons or mistakes from our youth are given back to us. When pressures are applied and weaknesses are shown clear. This is where our past failures are retested (sometimes as you suggested numerous times). While testing goes on indefinitely this period is kind of like exam time. Pass and you progress to the next class - for some people that means a real spiritual awakening. Fail and you do not get the same grace period that was afforded to you in youth. The consequences are amplified. I found it interesting that Jesus own story matched with this.

For me personally I experienced both sides at the coin at this time in my life. Very testing period.

Edited by Justanaverageguy
  • 3 weeks later...

Abraham heard voices in his head. After this, he cut up his own genitals and tried to murder his son.

The followers of all Abrahamic religions dont think this is crazy. He'd be put in a mental hospital if it was to happen today.

Shaking and feeling a god who does not exist? The whole religion is nuts anyway.

• Like 1
lionlover1973

No, not in the way...

I'll share something that happened to me, which I had not shared with many people at the time -

Years ago I was sitting in my kitchen and reading the newspaper, nothing in particular.

The hairs on my arm began to stand up and I was taken back by

an indescribable feeling, more so an 'energy' - that seemed to encompass me.

It did not 'feel' like that of a holy spirt, or a deceased loved one. No, it was that of a living person that I had been separated from physically (for reasons I will not bore you with).

In that moment - it felt as though that person was right there with me. I felt an incredible sensation of warmth and comfort. Just pure warmth and contentment. Very intense.

There are no words that I can use to explain what it felt like - never experienced anything like it, and haven't to this day.

Shared it with my father, he said he experienced something eerily similar but it was after the death of his brother.

I'm not a believer in ghost stories, hauntings, etc. But, I do believe in the afterlife and heaven. And, the stories you hear of people who have had near death experiences - whereas they were clinically dead and came back, some have shared a very similar experience. Where they felt an all-encompassing sense of warmth and love.

We are just a small blip on the map compared to the universe and what may lay beyond it. So, who knows?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
No, not in the way...

I'll share something that happened to me, which I had not shared with many people at the time -

Years ago I was sitting in my kitchen and reading the newspaper, nothing in particular.

The hairs on my arm began to stand up and I was taken back by

an indescribable feeling, more so an 'energy' - that seemed to encompass me.

In that moment - it felt as though that person was right there with me. I felt an incredible sensation of warmth and comfort. Just pure warmth and contentment. Very intense.

There are no words that I can use to explain what it felt like - never experienced anything like it, and haven't to this day.

Shared it with my father, he said he experienced something eerily similar but it was after the death of his brother.

I'm not a believer in ghost stories, hauntings, etc. But, I do believe in the afterlife and heaven. And, the stories you hear of people who have had near death experiences - whereas they were clinically dead and came back, some have shared a very similar experience. Where they felt an all-encompassing sense of warmth and love.

We are just a small blip on the map compared to the universe and what may lay beyond it. So, who knows?

I have had similar experiences as you describe only a few times in my life. I know in my heart and soul that those experiences were spiritual in nature and not 'my imagination' as someone once told me when I shared with them what happened.

Whatever or whoever those spirits or angels were, they made me feel a gentle 'electrical' wave of calmness, peacefulness and positive well being. I hope to experience this again some time in the near future.

• Like 1