"Men" are weaker nowadays...

Men are weaker. With guns around, there is no real need to bulk up or train to combat a physical threat.

But if we're looking at the average loss of muscle as a genetic trait passed down by generations, than I'd imagine that my kids will be a lot more astute as using computers/electronics based on my intense use of them and even physically weaker than I am (compared to my father). After all, the changes in environment that impact me on a genetic level that would prepare a future generation's adaption end at the day of procreation.

So is muscle size dependent on a species need to beat the snot out of its kind?

To me, the studies overall conclusion was a stretch. Then when OP went even further by suggesting it proved that all modern men are weak and lazy--I had to say something.

Why can't it prove that OP has an unreasonable perception of men because she's attempting to use reasoning that is irrational and illogical?

Why can't this all just be a matter of prescription? How do you know you're weaker than your dad? It's impossible to ever travel back in time to find out. But I am suggesting this all has to do with perception.

I remember in middle school; the kids in high school looked so much more mature than high school students today. But it's a logical fallacy to say THEY (at least the vast majority of high school students) ARE physically less mature. The only thing that changed is my perception.

Edited by OneLov
SwordofFlame

I do a lot of functional weightlifting and none of the women I dated seem to be impressed with it. They would have still dated me even if I didn't weight lift. If all I had to do was to be fit and strong, than I'd have a lot of women to choose from. If it were only that easy. Why train so hard or even train at all when it seems like most women don't even value it that much?

thefooloftheyear

Guys....

This is not about kicking someone's ass or attracting women....Or even being ripped....Heck just about anyone can get ripped..You could have less muscle mass than the typical woman and be ripped...

It's about having a functionally strong body...A "real world" functionally strong body...The type where if you need to move something, you actually can...People with real world strength actually even seem to move better than others....They walk with more of a purpose and dont slouch..True of male or female...

Oh, but if we are talking about women and what they like, they'd probably go for a guy with powerful hands and massive and veiny forearms over a guy with cute smile and a pair of noodles...

Technology may evolve, but some things don't really change..

TFY

Yep, I'm not surprised. I've posted several times of my disappointment in the "males" out there now a days, who can barely do handiwork, landscaping, etc.

http://http://www.menshealth.com.au/article/fitness/grip-strength-weaker-today

While I think the changes in labor have to do with it, still, people - men and women alike - are too lazy to get physical and workout to make up for us not having labor intensive jobs and/or need to work the land/farming.

Lazy and weak is what we have now a days :(

I was watching the Spartan competitions on NBC and a family of farmers, with pops having broken leg drama and mom being 50s, were able to run the course like wow...goes to show how physical activity is necessary for vitality.

I found this thread at a funny moment lol. I just read about how a woman on the US Olympic team just got bronze in a weightlifting competition. It's supposedly the first time USA has won a medal in weightlifting anything in like 2 decades or something and is being made out to be a really big deal. The sport is dominated by Eastern Europeans. Go there if you want naturally strong dudes :cool:

I guess it all boils down to working smarter not harder. I do believe in women's equal rights so I wouldn't mind my future woman taking out the trash, cutting the grass, moving furniture around just like I would. It's actually very sexy and a turn on. ;)

I'm a man, believe in equality, and still think YOU should do it. She does other things. Like make you happy.

• Like 1
Deer/moose horns?

But what about Dung Beetles? With the ability to pull 1,141x their own body weight, they're the strongest animals on the planet. That's like one man being able to pull six double-decker buses full of people.

My point is that evolution has caused strength to be selected as a desirable trait for different reasons. Some animals may need more strength to fight; others need strength to roll around big balls of sht.

I am just trying to logically wrap my head around how a society, like the West, that is progressively getting weaker and lazier has managed to raise the lifespan of its members, on average, by two decades in a few generations? Someone must have got off his or her butt and did something?

I am being facetious. I am just trying to point out how ridiculous the belief that grip strength is related to a gender's overall value in society. I would be willing to bet that the muscles that are activated when typing or doing any fine motor skills are generally stronger among people today than 50 years ago.

I play guitar. The grip in my left hand is stronger than that in my right. What overall value is that to society?

My point is that evolution has caused strength to be selected as a desirable trait for different reasons. Some animals may need more strength to fight; others need strength to roll around big balls of sht.

Lol, point of the day!

But what about Dung Beetles? With the ability to pull 1,141x their own body weight, they're the strongest animals on the planet. That's like one man being able to pull six double-decker buses full of people.

I am just trying to logically wrap my head around how a society, like the West, that is progressively getting weaker and lazier has managed to raise the lifespan of its members, on average, by two decades in a few generations? Someone must have got off his or her butt and did something?

I am being facetious. I am just trying to point out how ridiculous the belief that grip strength is related to a gender's overall value in society. I would be willing to bet that the muscles that are activated when typing or doing any fine motor skills are generally stronger among people today than 50 years ago.

I play guitar. The grip in my left hand is stronger than that in my right. What overall value is that to society?

Okay so using your analogy... all I was saying is if one of your children a predisposition to be stronger and that hand now because you used it to play guitar? And please don't apply that logic to masturbation... lol

Times have changed.

My family has been in construction for generations. Things my grandfather did by hand, my father eventually used tools, equipment and machinery to do. I don't do any physical labor ... anymore.

I suspect the trend will continue. Where we played sports year round, kids now play electronic games. I don't remember going to school with many fat kids when I was young. Now ... times are different.

*shrugs*

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear

The thought of being an amorphous blob of flesh with some tactile skills, just makes me shudder...but hey, whatever floats one's boat..

And it really is kinda funny watching pairs of couples walk around where the woman looks like she could easily kick her man's ass...

TFY

• Like 1
Imagine the response if there was a thread titled "women are fatter nowadays"...

They would probably be mad, but ... who cares? It's true.

Back to strength, I think there's a difference between bodybuilding strength and working strength. A difference between doing a few bench presses, dead lifts or squats in a hour and hard physical labor all day long. Those are two different types of strong.

I've seen so many examples of workout warriors not being able to hack it on a job site. So many country boys who grew up on a farm wreck a guy who works out for "aesthetics".

• Like 1
Actually I think there are two trends in today's society. Though people's average strength and fitness is going down, there are also more people than ever working out, going for the "six pack" and so on.

I mean if you compare the typical attractive man during the 1960's and now, today's ideal for men is much more muscular. So I would say that the gap between those who do work out and those who don't is much wider today than it was before.

Large muscular men (no not body builder roid type) are not in fashion.

The lean very ripped low body weight triathlete look is more acceptable for healthy looks. Not that I am critical - that body type is great.

Although getting older and a bit of a gut these days - I have had issues finding clothes my whole my life. Fitting chest, arms, shoulders. The average suit cut remains at a 6 inch drop from chest to gut - when I was at my fittest I was at 14 inches. Also various body critical comments I had my life.

Last year I stopped trying to lift heavier, just no reason for me to bench 315 any more at my age. So I took up different activities.

Hmmmm, you think?

My parents encouraged me to strengthen the nerve in my head and not the muscles in my arms used to do b*tch labor. My grandfather would roll over in his grave if he heard me complaining that I'd rather go back to busting my ass in the field. He'd feel like a failure. Didn't your parents encourage you all to try to work smarter not harder? What did they work so hard to send you to college for?

Getting to the heart of the issue here. Being both smart and strong.

I agree with some of your other points in the thread but you know, the obesity epidemics affect a lot of countries now not even only America and Europe, see Mexico and the rest of Latin America.. fatties everywhere... and I was rather trying to make central points not bragging about how my parents taught me to do hard labor (which I almost never did, only for some months to pay driving license or college).

You only selective quoted me because I was thinking we were maybe generalizing about the decadent youths, and I witness their culture too. It's appaling.

I don't hang out with a lot of teenagers or young adults but I can tell from what I see when I'm forced to interact with them that we have very few in common.

Younger girls have VERY loose morals, and have a number of partners before even 22, probably more than me being in my 30s.

Younger guys smoke, binge drink, some will do harder drugs, youths being youths you know? Was it different in the 60s and at Woodstock though?

That's why I am saying maybe we are lumping everyone together. There are still hard workers around, regardless of the country or ethnicity and religion. But the point that the west has a decadent culture that is living off the inherited capital of previous generations seem entirely accurate.

• 4 weeks later...
I do a lot of functional weightlifting and none of the women I dated seem to be impressed with it. They would have still dated me even if I didn't weight lift. If all I had to do was to be fit and strong, than I'd have a lot of women to choose from. If it were only that easy. Why train so hard or even train at all when it seems like most women don't even value it that much?

I do a form of strength training 3x a week that has built up my mass and strength. Although I appreciate the compliments I sometimes get from women, I do it for myself and my own health. As soon as you start doing it to impress the opposite gender, I think you lose sight of its deeper importance.

Its all about training and working habits. Todays athletes are stronger then ever. Men and women. Improved training knowkedge and programs. On the other side more of us do less physical jobs then before. I can speak for myself. I have train consistantly for over twenty years. Until recently i have only slacked off some. Personal matters Training all body groups is important to staying physically healthy and strong. I like myself better when i am strong but not gone crazy over the top. The same person can be super strong at one group and average at another if they dont work that area.

At my last job, I worked with an older man (must have been in his 50s or 60s?) who rode his bike to work every day. It's safe to say that most younger people would have a real hard time doing that even once a week, even if they lived down the street.

I grew up in a small town where there wasn't much to do but go biking around the neighbourhood with the other kids, go swimming in the summer, run around outside. I wasn't an athlete, but I kept fairly active. We played video games too, but it wasn't ALL we did.

I don't know if this is due to my background or if it's just my body type, but my arms are stronger than most other women I know, even though I don't work them out. I mostly just bike and do yoga, no weight lifting. Yet when I did a Mud Hero race, most of the women struggled to climb over the walls. I was one of the few who managed to do it. To me it was no big deal, but my friends acted so impressed that I could do it!

ETA: Oh yeah, I also used to climb trees. How many kids climb trees nowadays?

• Like 1