Itspointless
If you read my initial post carefully you would have noticed I made a distinction between the Randstad and the rest of the country. Specifically because Emilia was asking if Amsterdam existed in its own 'bubble'.

I'm sure there are larger populated areas where people deem themselves hugely modern, including in Apeldoorn.

Well to be fair, I live in a part that is considered part of the Randstad. It is just that for my personal taste some parts of the country get to little credit.

• Like 1
  • Author

Haha a bit of regional competition, I see.

Thank you for the posts, very insightful.

• Like 1

well... everyone already wrote everything... LOL.

i love Amsterdam -- lived there for a couple of months and LOVED it. it's a beautiful city, folks are generally helpful + everyone speaks (British) English.

one thing that did bother me were shops closed at Sundays and 10am - 5/6pm work time... at least it was like that when i was there. like i would woke every single Sunday and would have a "oh, CRAP! nothing works and i didn't buy milk or bread. or toilet paper!!!" GAH. it was frustrating. but yeah, Albert Heijn works on Sundays so that's great if you have that store near you.

Itspointless
well... everyone already wrote everything... LOL.

i love Amsterdam -- lived there for a couple of months and LOVED it. it's a beautiful city, folks are generally helpful + everyone speaks (British) English.

one thing that did bother me were shops closed at Sundays and 10am - 5/6pm work time... at least it was like that when i was there. like i would woke every single Sunday and would have a "oh, CRAP! nothing works and i didn't buy milk or bread. or toilet paper!!!" GAH. it was frustrating. but yeah, Albert Heijn works on Sundays so that's great if you have that store near you.

More and more supermarkets are open on sundays in more and more cities. It depends a bit on the elected city-counsels. Only where the majority is protestant it still causes problems, but than you mainly speak about small villages (at least in the part where I live).

• Like 1