Feeling kind of discouraged

Scratch and Moimeme: I'm afraid I have to agree with Scratch...I think men do seem to care more about women's bodies than women care about men's, for the most part.

My point was that if you're going to be picky about your woman's weight and fitness, you damn well better not be letting your own self go to pot. Whether or not people do or should pay attention to looks has been debated here many times; I'm just saying people got to walk their talk.

laRubiaBonita
Originally posted by scratch

Sure, I'll answer. I am no longer with my most recent SO. Do recall that you claimed the only reason you wanted to know was random curiousity, not because you were trying to draw any parallels between my feelings about fat people and my success in relationships. Are you sure you were being truthful about that?

yes. i was just wondering why you seemed soo bitter is all.

First of all, overweight women are not more likely to survive a famine than skinny women; healthy women are more likely to survive than unhealthy women. Health is what males look for, which you correctly implied. However, it's primarily a matter of reproductive health, delinated by how curvaceous a woman is. While this changes among eras and cultures (different bone structues come in and out of vouge), thinner women tend to display their curves in a more alluring manner than heavier women. I tried to keep this short, but will expound if you want further clarification.

i said NOTHING about overweight people, I mentioned underweight. and no, i do NOt need clarification from your POV......

and of course Thin women's curves are more distinct than heavier women....

i said Biological, not taking into account: era's and fashion, and the femaninst movement, and personal preference.

And, yes, I have something of a problem with fat people. Of course, I'm making generalizations that don't apply to everyone, but fat people I know tend to: 1) complain about how they are, 2) refuse to accept that most other people don't or shouldn't like it, 3) make excuses for being that way, 4) make half-assed attempts to change, and 5) blame other people for looking down upon them for it.

I hear More complaints from people that are normal weight than fat people.

Again, these are generalizations. If someone is overweight, I am still willing to get to know them, and assess their attitude and actions on a singular basis. If they show be that they don't exhibit behavior patterns 1-5 above, I will respect them and effectively disregard their weight.

Could I date someone overweight? I honestly don't think so. I don't think I could date a burn victim either. Physical attraction is necessary for me.

Hummm....... not what i would expect from an analytical person.

And, yes, I have something of a problem with fat people. Of course, I'm making generalizations that don't apply to everyone, but fat people I know tend to: 1) complain about how they are, 2) refuse to accept that most other people don't or shouldn't like it, 3) make excuses for being that way, 4) make half-assed attempts to change, and 5) blame other people for looking down upon them for it.

I've noticed the same trends... I might add that being overweight is usually the end result -- not the source -- of a problem. Somewhat psychosomatic, if you ask me. But, as previously mentioned, this would also make for an interesting topic somewhere else.

Could I date someone overweight? I honestly don't think so. I don't think I could date a burn victim either. Physical attraction is necessary for me.

Rules of attraction... they are what they are, even if they seem unfair. If someone finds me unattractive, fine. I can deal with it. Even though I'm in decent shape, I've noticed that some women don't like men without hair. Oh well. I'll just have to date the women who do, and they are many. Trust me on this. ;)

Originally posted by laRubiaBonita

I hear More complaints from people that are normal weight than fat people.

You've got a point, Rubiacita. Everyone complains about something. :laugh:

i said NOTHING about overweight people, I mentioned underweight.

Your point was that healthy people would fare better than underweight people? Well, yeah. But assuming a height of 5'2-5'6, women who are between size 0 and 4 are just as healthy and fit as women between 4 and 8.

i said Biological, not taking into account: era's and fashion, and the femaninst movement, and personal preference.

When you raised the point about varying bone structures, you needed clarification on the significance of being naturally bigger or smaller. Eras, fashions, and preferences substantially mute the argument that naturally larger-framed women are unfairly persecuted. That ebbs and flows like the tides.

I hear more complaints from people that are normal weight than fat people.

Complaints, perhaps. But, there are four other factors that lead to my displeasure, and thinner complainers tend not to fall victim to the others.

Originally posted by laRubiaBonita Hummm....... not what i would expect from an analytical person.

How do you mean? Kindly elaborate.

ReluctantRomeo

By all means, spin it off. It's a potential hornets' nest, as you know, because of the seemingly superficial implications that are very unpopular here.

As an aside, you never got back to me about that Prisoner's Dillema stuff, did you?

Work distracted me on the prisoner's dilemma ;)

I'll see if I can think of an evolutionary biology question/thread that wouldn't degenerate... lol, it's bound to degenerate, so maybe I just need to think of ways of limiting the damage :laugh:

Originally posted by ReluctantRomeo

Work distracted me on the prisoner's dilemma ;)

I'll see if I can think of an evolutionary biology question/thread that wouldn't degenerate... lol, it's bound to degenerate, so maybe I just need to think of ways of limiting the damage :laugh:

I have an idea. Is it possible to get a moderator to make sure that if an OP sets out rules, other posters follow them or the posts get deleted?

laRubiaBonita

I have an idea. Is it possible to get a moderator to make sure that if an OP sets out rules, other posters follow them or the posts get deleted?

yes...it is in your Terms of Usage Agreement.

I have an idea. Is it possible to get a moderator to make sure that if an OP sets out rules, other posters follow them or the posts get deleted

Aren't you a pain? :p

Woah I'm UK size 8-10 (it fluctuates depending on me, and the particular shop in question) which, I believe, is a US 6-8. Judging by some of the comments on this thread, I'm bordering on obese. Best share some of that good news with my size 12-14 (UK) buddies....

My tiniest friend is a size 6 (size 4 US). She's about 5ft 5",very fine-boned and about as thin as you can be without actually being anorexic. I'm amazed by the number of posts talking about being a size 0-4. It's really difficult to see how a US size 0-4 could possibly be a healthy aspiration for the majority of fully grown women.

Marilyn Monroe was a size 12... a very healthy size 12, I might add.

*panting like a dog*

laRubiaBonita
Originally posted by lindya

It's really difficult to see how a US size 0-4 could possibly be a healthy aspiration for the majority of fully grown women.

i agree. my hips alone are a size 5, then throw in my non-existant arse, and i can be a 7, at my lowest weight.

• Author

I'm amazed by the number of posts talking about being a size 0-4. It's really difficult to see how a US size 0-4 could possibly be a healthy aspiration for the majority of fully grown women.

I don't know...I wear anything from a 0 to a 6 US in clothes, depending on the style and designer, and I am not anywhere near anorexic...I am 5'4" and weight 125 pounds, and my waist and hip measurments are by no means tiny: they're about 27 and 37, respectively.

I definitely have a little extra weight around the hips: I have a pooch of fat below my belly button, and a definite layer of pudge over my hip bones. I guess I must be muscular with very small bones, because I don't understand how I can weigh 125 lbs and be a bit pudgy around the hips and still fit into size XS skirts!

As for Marilyn Monroe, she was a size 12 because women's clothes sizes have expanded a lot over the years. I've tried on size 10 dresses from the 50s at vintage stores and they've fit me perfectly!

Originally posted by AliceW

As for Marilyn Monroe, she was a size 12 because women's clothes sizes have expanded a lot over the years. I've tried on size 10 dresses from the 50s at vintage stores and they've fit me perfectly!

Interesting... I knew there had to be something wrong here. My only question is, how does clothing size change if the units of measurement remain the same? Go easy on me, I'm a guy who knows very little about clothes and fashion, which is why I'm a guy (in other words: keep it simple).

laRubiaBonita
Originally posted by westernxer

Interesting... I knew there had to be something wrong here. My only question is, how does clothing size change if the units of measurement remain the same? Go easy on me, I'm a guy who knows very little about clothes and fashion, which is why I'm a guy (in other words: keep it simple).

Usually the higher end designer clothes are cut better, and made better....that is another why they cost more.

actual size and size #, differ from brand to brand, as some brands favor tighter fits and some looser.

• Author

My only question is, how does clothing size change if the units of measurement remain the same?

The answer is simple: unlike men's clothing sizes, women's clothing sizes aren't based on one specific set of measurements. For example, a man might wear size 32/32 jeans, meaning a 32-inch-waist and a 32-inch inseam. Pants by any maker in that size will be based on those measurments. By comparison, women's size 5 jeans by a bunch of different makers would be a based on a bunch of different sets of measurements, so they could be totally different sizes.

For that reason, when I shop I go more by eyeballing the width of the garment rather than looking for a specific size! One other interesting thing I've noticed is that the more expensive the clothes, the smaller the sizes. I might wear a 0 or a 2 at the Gap, but a 6 at a designer boutique.

Thanks, ladies. I notice the same thing when I buy pants and stuff... sometimes my waist is 33, other times 36. As long as it isn't higher than 36, I'm safe...

Thanks, ladies. I notice the same thing when I buy pants and stuff... sometimes my waist is 33, other times 36. As long as it isn't higher than 36, I'm safe...

Westernxer, the time to start worrying will be when your waistband is higher than your waist.

Westernxer, the time to start worrying will be when your waistband is higher than your waist.

LOL. Then I'll buy suspenders to hold my pants up.

LOL. Then I'll buy suspenders to hold my pants up.

Good heavens! Be sure and post pictures of that.

Oh - hang on. Suspenders in American-speak are what we in the UK call braces. Suspenders over here are what ladies use to keep their stockings up.

Good heavens! Be sure and post pictures of that.

Oh - hang on. Suspenders in American-speak are what we in the UK call braces. Suspenders over here are what ladies use to keep their stockings up.

Excuse me, I meant bracers for my trousers as I smoke a fag in the lift. I ain't no ponce. ;)

Originally posted by AliceW

I've noticed is that the more expensive the clothes, the smaller the sizes.

that is soooooooooooooooo true its sick

I weigh 99 pounds and i still have a belly? possible reason for that? went to gyn everythin is fine also went to doc everythin fine. mom side has history of having a pouch. any way i can get rid of it. im trying to eat 5 small meals a day and workout as well. any suggestions on what i should do?