Feeling kind of discouraged

laRubiaBonita
Originally posted by mic33

I weigh 99 pounds and i still have a belly? possible reason for that? went to gyn everythin is fine also went to doc everythin fine. mom side has history of having a pouch. any way i can get rid of it. im trying to eat 5 small meals a day and workout as well. any suggestions on what i should do?

any type of abdominal exercises to help ton ethose muscles to help keep your intestines ( the said pouch) in.

and being that you seem to have a smaller frame, it may just be inevitable, i mean your organs and guts can only be sooo small.

Actually, belly fat (if that's what it is) is eliminated through aerobic exercise. You can also strengthen your core, which means everything from waist to knees, not just your abs. Your back needs to be strong to support you. And remember good posture. If you're bent or slouched, even a thin person will seem to have a pot.

ReluctantRomeo
Originally posted by laRubiaBonita

it may just be inevitable, i mean your organs and guts can only be sooo small.

:laugh:

Forget what the scale says. I'm a 45 year old male and have been working out 5-6 times a week. I recommend that when you get out of the shower, you take a look in the mirror. Do you like what you see? Is your stomach flat(or relatively close)? Do you have a nice tight butt or has gravity gotten the better part of it? I recommend interval training to lose weight. This is where you warm up for 5 minutes(treadmill,stairclimber,elyptical, or stationary bike), then do 1 minute of a sprint(80% of full heart rate). This is where you have trouble talking. Then slow down to a walk(if on treadmill 4MPH). Do about 10 circuits where 1 circuit equals 1 minute of full speed and 1 minute of walking. Then end with another 5 minutes of slow jog. Also, I don't like to look at the BMI because if you have muscle, the BMI tends to classify you as overweight. I do get on the scale(even though I said forget the scale). This way I can tell if I'm up or down. Today, I'm 5'11", and weigh about 203. I've been down to 195 which I think is my ideal weight. I have been eating more junk the less month and have put on weight. I try to get to 190 but know that that is a very hard number to keep.

Good Luck!!!

Hi mic3,

I think you're asking for an answer when there really isn't one, unfortunately. Some people (like me) are genetically predisposed to collecting weight around their middles. It's just the way it is--my family's got it, I've got it. So there's no magic bullet.

The best you can do is commit to a regular exercise program that includes moderate to intense cardio (power walking/jogging/stair climbing/rope jumping/etc. 4 to 5 times a week, 30 to 60 minutes) and strength training (2 to 3 times a week, for 20 to 45 minutes).

Lay off the sugar (no soda!), refined carbs (white bread, white rice, white flour, white potatoes), and artifically sweetened foods (the body has trouble distinguising fake sugar from real sugar)--cut them out altogether if you can stand it. The reason: Those calories tend to go straight to the middle, plus these foods also tend to make you hungrier and cause you to eat more.

Good carbs (whole grains, fruits and vegetables), low-fat or no-fat dairy (skim milk, plain yogurt with all-fruit jam, low-fat cheeses), lean meats (mainly fish and chicken with small amounts of lean red meat), and lots and lots and lots of fruits and vegetables are your best bet. These foods, along with regular exercise, help to keep you feeling full and helps keep your metabolism revved, which in turn keeps weight from collecting at the stomach.

But this is tough. I give you this advice even as I'm struggling to follow it myself! The sugar thing is really hard for me. But when I don't eat sugar, I do find that my weight and my waistline begins to shrink.

And remember, it's just a tummy--if you follow a healthy exercise and diet plan and it's still there, just learn to love it, or at least focus on other things. Everyone has a body part they don't like (small breasts, chunky calves, big thighs, big hips). Yours and mine just happens to be the stomach. It is what it is.

Good luck!