Im an alcoholic

Art_Critic

But it is not a disease.

There is no theory about it, it is actually classified as a chronic disease, and let's not forget the genetic component

WebMD

Alcoholism is a long-term (chronic) disease. It's not a weakness or a lack of willpower. Like many other diseases, it has a course that can be predicted, has known symptoms, and is influenced by your genes and your life situation.

Alcoholism | Alcohol Dependence |Alcohol Abuse | Alcohol Addiction
  • Like 2

The end point of alcohol misuse is a person on their own in a room, with a bottle.

I've known two people who literally killed themselves with alcohol, one a very good friend.

They knew the dangers of what they were doing, but they didn't want to stop.

I have spent many an hour trying to understand why they kept on drinking.

The only answer I could come up with that stuck, was that they did it in attempt to escape from self-hatred.

Stop hating yourself, if you want to live.

Take care.

Edited by Satu
  • Like 2

I prefer the term Alcohol Misuse.

That is because it makes sense to me to view it as a behaviour.

Behaviour can be changed, so it's a positive perspective.

It allows a degree of optimism.

• Like 1
RedPurpleOrange
I prefer the term Alcohol Misuse.

That is because it makes sense to me to view it as a behaviour.

Behaviour can be changed, so it's a positive perspective.

It allows a degree of optimism.

Hear, hear!

You're right, Satu. The OP is not 'permanently broken'. The OP has options to change and can take them now, before it gets too out of hand. He is in control of his OWN destiny, all he needs to do is get the medical help to kick him off his current path, he is not incapable of being in control of his own actions, he has the power inside to change his situation if he truly wants to. Rational and real is the only way.

And I think people drink to block pain. Emotional pain. Because pain like that can be so damn powerful. I don't think it's self-hatred in this case. I sense pain in his words. I have felt that pain all too well, that chronic, agonising inner pain that makes you wanna die to escape it. Sometimes it feels too much to cope with, it's excruciating and cannot be escaped. Sometimes it feels like a few drinks will knock it out. Sometimes it does, sometimes it makes the pain feel even worse, more raw. It's not really a reason to drink. In the end, drinking only makes it worse and makes your system incapable of processing your ability to cope with it because it's always compromised from the withdrawal effects come the next day, the anxiety, the bad head, the mild shakes, the sweating.

Facing pain sober is the best way. Then you see your pain in exactly the way it manifests its true form. And that is the only way you can learn to cope with it. From experience, from raw truth.

• Like 1
No. It's not. There is a 'theory of disease' because 'they' want it to be one. But it is not a disease. Meningitis is a disease. Alcoholism is a choice.

It is a disorder, an addiction, maybe even a mental illness.

But it is not a disease.

It is a disease - one that affects a person mentally and physically.

• Like 1
No. It's not. There is a 'theory of disease' because 'they' want it to be one. But it is not a disease. Meningitis is a disease. Alcoholism is a choice.

It is a disorder, an addiction, maybe even a mental illness.

But it is not a disease.

This. Im right there with ya bro. My girls in jail and all i fcking do is drink. Its a miserable fcking existence.