Girls, if your man propose with his mother's ring is that a compliment?

My H proposed to me with his late mother's ring (his stepmother that actually raises him) & I loved it! A man gives you a ring not bc you deserve it but bc he is asking you to be his wife...the ring is a gift! If a woman thinks she's owed different then I'd be questioning ever marrying her. After reading some of these I see why over 50% of marriages end in divorce. Guys, if any woman ever acts unappreciated of the ring...run! Run fast!

Why would Lady Diana be wearing the ring Prince Charles gave her when she died? Weren't they divorced?

I don't know if she wore it (could probably look it up online) but it wouldn't surprise me if she did, it was/is a huge rock.

My former SIL wore her engagement ring from her first marriage after divorce, huge diamonds would have had something to do with it. She probably still wears it

Re: Kate Middleton wearing Princess Di's ring:

To you it is distasteful, to me it is a charming and heartwarming that his mother is being thus remembered...

Diff'rent strokes!

That's for sure.

That poor woman has enough problems with being compared to Diana all the time without actually wearing that dead woman's ring. Creepy.

• 4 weeks later...
Never thought about this before but I think I probably wouldn't want to wear a dead woman's jewellery.

But you probably already are. With gold being bought and sold, recycled, melted down and recast into different things, that gold in your ring or other jewelry almost certainly, at least in tiny part, formerly belonged to a dead person, for example in dental work. You are probably wearing gold from dozens of now dead corpses who had it removed from their mouth prior to burial :( The only thing separating you from Aunt Millie's gold dentures is a smelter's forge. I figure the dead woman's jewelry is ok - as long as it's clean, and the dead woman doesn't come with it:)

• Author
WHOLESALEPACK

Ok so he proposed to his gf a bit more than a week ago and she seemed happy about the ring. She liked it.

Congratulations to them on their betrothal and thanks for the update. Considering his familial circumstances, IMO his GF, now fiancée, is a lucky gal.

• 2 weeks later...
One of my co-workers will be proposing to his gf of 4 years anytime this week or next. Though, he is wondering if his gf would liked it because it's his deceased mother's ring and both women happened to fit the same size. His father agreed to this and always got along with his gf.

His mother passed away shortly after giving birth to him so basically he was raised by his father all his life.

I know some girls might find this so sweet while others might want their own ring. Girls (and well you guys can participate too) if a man proposes to his gf with a ring that was given to his mother when she was alive, would you feel happy or would that be still sad?

I think it's up to him to know his gf and future wife well enough to be able to assess this accurately.

For me, I would hope that if a man is deciding to marry me, we've had discussions about lots of things, including rings and so on, and any ideas he may have swirling around, so that he is fairly knowledgeable about me and my preferences. The whole idea that EVERYTHING should be some grand surprise (even whether or not this person will say yes) has never made sense to me. Sure, the day and how a man asks me to marry him can be a surprise, but I would expect that in an adult relationship we've had lots of talks about marriage and I would much prefer say months leading up to a proposal he tries to get a sense of the kind of rings I would like and so on. He can even try to go through my sister, my friends, heck, look at my Pinterest board :laugh:, but I would hope he would be smart enough and know me enough to figure out my likes (does she like diamonds, gold, silver, platinum, something not traditional etc). Even with girl friends, or even boyfriends, when I buy things for them it is based on knowing them, hearing them express preferences, seeing things they currently have or like or I may try to find a way to ask about a gift I'm considering where it's still a surprise but I have gotten a sense of what they like, so I don't see why with a man who wants to be my husband, it should be any different. It seems like common sense and a natural part of knowing and paying attention to someone you love.

As for the mother's ring...I personally would prefer my own ring and not one that belonged to any other person. The point though is, that's me, I'm not any other woman, so the above stands that it is up to this man to know his specific gf and her preferences because other folks can only state their own preferences which may have no bearing on the actual woman in question. What he and his dad agree to are one thing, now he needs to find a way to assess if his gf would like his ideas.

Edited by MissBee