Hitting children when they have an accident

amaysngrace

Every situation is different. Reading on, apparently there was no actual spanking witnessed, only what was perceived by the observer to be a prelude to it, based on the reaction of the child. In reality, the child could have been drug off for a timeout. I've witnessed similar reactions to that, and from children whose parents apparently vehemently oppose corporal punishment. I know one young lady in particular who'd take to screeching like she was dying when her mom would send her to her timeout place. Still, mom was able to do that without even putting a hand on her to guide her. I was impressed after seeing that repeatedly. Great example of one parent and one child.

• Like 1
Accidents happen, and we need to be prepared. I would google "How many five year olds can you realistically take in a fight." Armed with this vital information, you may just find that the newfound respect you command is enough to keep things running smoothly without the threat of violence.

I googled it. Age and gender notwithstanding, apparently I can take on 49 five year olds in a fight. I put it down to my preference for standing still and having them come at me one by one, using their own flawed attack strategy against them.

• Like 3

I frequently batter the children for a whole array of things.

No of course I don`t!

Punishment is much more effective.

But dropping a drink? No, as i do exactly the same. (Drop drinks i mean)

Although my better half did batter me once for dropping red wine on a white rug.

• Like 3
dragon_fly_7

I have opposing views toward corporal punishment because honestly I can't find anything beneficial towards it other than just being too practical (laziness to me.. some things in life are worth taking more of your time, patience and energy and if that's not you then might as well don't have kids) and wanting to control the behavior... wanting power and control because you say so, because you don't have the patience to actually teach and guide.

Unfortunately I'm a Latina and in many Latin countries, the belt, chanclas (Mexican word for sandals), strap or any other household objects are common methods of corporal punishment and many times it's done as immediate first resort. My father sometimes used to be like that woman in the story (he used the belt on me from ages 4 till I was 8). It's like he tried to be good at other areas but when it came to disciplining a child he sucks badly and lost patience very fast. I'm digusted by it to be honest and will never use that on my future child.

Long ago, he was a jerk too. For instance one time I overcooked the spaghetti sauce (I was already a 17 year-old HS senior by then and obviously long past spanking) and he came barging into the room, got in my name calling me ''stupid'' and it soon turned into a shaking, pushing each other match because I replied back. IMO I was really pushing, shoving him back in self-defense, more like a ''get the hell away from me''. Stupid altercation ever that should have never turned physical and he started it. What could have been a normal day was ruined and I ended up crying in anger because I felt he was being unfair, rude meanwhile he thought he had done nothing wrong. In my most angry moment ever, once in a while I would imagining knocking him out if I were a guy.

Overall, I do feel kind of awkward when it's Father's Day. Sure he's not a monster nor one those types that beats you up while coming home drunk and has good qualities in other areas not involving disciplining a child but he's not exactly someone I would consider a role model nor put on a pedestal...and definitely not the best father ever.

Edited by dragon_fly_7
  • Like 1
mrs rubble

It's illegal here in New Zealand. You could have called the cops and had her arrested if it'd happened here.

• Like 2
  • Author
amaysngrace
It's illegal here in New Zealand. You could have called the cops and had her arrested if it'd happened here.

That's awesome! My friend traveled around the world and that was her favorite place on earth so she went back and lived there for a few years. :)

• Like 1
Michelle ma Belle

I grew up in a time where beating your children was almost expected. And being from an Italian heritage, getting beat with an item like a shoe or belt or large wooden spoon was just part of a daily ritual. Thankfully I learned early what I needed to do in order to avoid the spoon but my brother constantly push the boundaries. It was hard to watch sometimes.

As a result I only hit my child once out of sheer frustration and was so overcome with guilt and sadness not to mention the painful flashbacks of my own childhood that I cried for days and swore on my children's lives I would NEVER EVER hit them again for any reason. And I haven't.

You can still be a very effective parent without resorting to violence. Often the violence is a result of the parent's own rage and the loss of supposed control rather than having anything to do with the child's well being.

And I'm very proud to say I have awesome children :)

• Like 2