Sending Emails With Important Info to My Bosses (Two Attorneys)

Jen I don't get what you mean.

I am the one sending them the email, so when they read it, I receive the *read* receipt (past tense) once they open and read. Not them.

Or do mean something different from that? Like a pop up reminder for them to read it?

Just to clarify, you select the 'read receipt' option when you send, which makes the recipient get that little popup message about how the sender has asked for a read receipt, and if they click yes, you get a mail back saying they read it.

If they're actually clicking yes to your read receipt mails and still not reading them, I guess I don't know what else to tell you. That wouldn't last long where I work if there was fallout from sth going sideways, but I guess maybe since these guys are the bosses in your case they think they're at liberty to be dumb. :p

• Author
Just to clarify, you select the 'read receipt' option when you send, which makes the recipient get that little popup message about how the sender has asked for a read receipt, and if they click yes, you get a mail back saying they read it.

If they're actually clicking yes to your read receipt mails and still not reading them, I guess I don't know what else to tell you. That wouldn't last long where I work if there was fallout from sth going sideways, but I guess maybe since these guys are the bosses in your case they think they're at liberty to be dumb. :p

I did not know that jen.... thanks!

Not sure I will do that, knowing them those little pop up thingees would drive them crazy.

I think I will just continue sending them emails and then when they come out of their respective offices, verbally tell them that I completed the task... and sent them an email!

This should alert them to read and NOT ask me if I did what they asked or ask for the same info again.

Thanks for the tip about the read receipt though... I might use that for when I email other people!

I am pretty sure I knew about it at one point but no one uses that function here, so I sort of forgot about it. :)

I did not know that jen.... thanks!

Not sure I will do that, knowing them those little pop up thingees would drive them crazy.

I think I will just continue sending them emails and then when they come out of their respective offices, verbally tell them that I completed the task... and sent them an email!

This should alert them to read and NOT ask me if I did what they asked or ask for the same info again.

Thanks for the tip about the read receipt though... I might use that for when I email other people!

I am pretty sure I knew about it at one point but no one uses that function here, so I sort of forgot about it. :)

It is seen as sort of an imposition or bad form in some contexts. Like forex I wouldn't do that with friends/family bc I don't really want to 'demand' they read my emails. But professionally it is what it is - you send them for urgent things or with unreliable ppl. Some can get a little uppity about it bc it's kinda forcing them into compliance, but my attitude is "if there was some other way I could be sure you were doing your job and holding up your end of the chain, I'd do it that way, but unfortunately there isn't and I simply don't know that when I send you a company email you'll read it and do what you're supposed to do. If you don't want to get read receipt requests from me, convince me that I don't need to send them." (Never actually said that, just sayin.' ;))

lucy_in_disguise

You can try using status update to track all the outstanding items/ questions in one place. Send it out weekly noting the high priority items, and have a recurring 15-30 minute meeting set up to walk through it the next day. This gives them a chance to see everything in one spot without having to look for it, a chance to prepare for the discussion, and forces them to set aside time to acknowledge your questions.

For questions where you are capable of making a reasonable decision, rather than sending an open question and waitng for their response, you can reword it so that you are proposing a plan and let then know you will plan to proceed if they dont have any objections.

• Author
You can try using status update to track all the outstanding items/ questions in one place. Send it out weekly noting the high priority items, and have a recurring 15-30 minute meeting set up to walk through it the next day. This gives them a chance to see everything in one spot without having to look for it, a chance to prepare for the discussion, and forces them to set aside time to acknowledge your questions.

For questions where you are capable of making a reasonable decision, rather than sending an open question and waitng for their response, you can reword it so that you are proposing a plan and let then know you will plan to proceed if they dont have any objections.

Thanks but I don't email them with questions.... not sure where you got that from .... I email them with information they have asked that I research.

They don't read those emails and end up asking me later if I had done the research they had asked me to do.... which gets annoying since, if they had only read the email I sent, they would KNOW that I did it.

In any event, pls read the rest of my posts, I ended up figuring out what to do by letting them know verbally that I had completed the research, and sent them an email about it.

This way they won't ask me about it again without looking like a total retard! LOL

Thanks again guys! :)

Edited by katiegrl
The way we exchange info in our office is via email.

This way we have a record and can save to the file.

Often times (and this happens with both the attorneys I work with)... I will send them a substantive email relaying information they either asked about prior or that they need to know.

Or sometimes I have a question so send them an email.

It is very frustrating because often times they won't read it, but then ask me later for the same info I just sent them an email about!

If I asked a question, since they did not read the email, my question does not get answered and I have to verbally follow up... after which they will respond, telling me to send them an email! Well guys, I already sent you an email but you didn't answer!

This is so frustrating for me, why can't they just read the email I sent?

I realize they are both super busy and receive a ton of email, but this is their preferred method of communication, again so we have a record for the file.

And I am busy too and should not have to keep following up! Ugh.

So my question to y'all is.... how do I address this with them without sounding rude?

They are my bosses after all.

Thanks guys!!

You talked about asking them questions in your very first post, now you're asking wherever did we get the idea that they don't answer your questions because you don't ask questions. Lol, since you don't even remember your own post are you sure your bosses are the forgetful ones?

• Like 2
introverted1

Except that most email clients allow you to select:

- Never send a read receipt

- Always send a read receipt

- Ask me about read receipts

Only the 3rd option will create a pop-up the attorney would have to click. The other two choices just operate without intervention.

It's very unlikely they will change, so I think you just need to let this roll off your back and treat it as white noise. Oh you didn't see the email I sent? No problem, here it is.

Except that most email clients allow you to select:

- Never send a read receipt

- Always send a read receipt

- Ask me about read receipts

Only the 3rd option will create a pop-up the attorney would have to click. The other two choices just operate without intervention.

Well I guess that kinda ruins the integrity of that system. ;) My system at work must be automated to do the popups.

introverted1
Well I guess that kinda ruins the integrity of that system. ;) My system at work must be automated to do the popups.

I can't remember what the default is. Probably because I always turn off read receipts. :laugh:

Anyway, yea, lots of work computers are managed by "group policy" and individual users can't change much.