If a person was fired from a job-could they put they were laid-off instead?

ChickiePops

Maybe I just work in a strange industry but people who give references discuss the potential employee and their qualifications all the time. I just wouldn't put the job down.

I wouldn't put a referee down from 9 years ago and have never been asked. Job history security stuff tends to be up to 5 years in the UK - unless higher clearance is needed, in which case it's 10 years. That's pretty senior though.

I just think being TOO honest can misfire.

Incorrect. For example, in some states, an employer can be asked if the ex-employee could ever or would ever be re-hired by the same company. The company can then verify that, "No, that person is disqualified from re-employment"

The inference would be that they were fired.

I know someone who was fired and asked if they were eligible for re-hire. The company said yes but 9 months later when that person applied they were turned down for the job. Did the company lie about re-hire? Also would they tell a new employer that this person is not eligible for re-hire after telling them they were?

introverted1

In the US, the current hiring trend is that candidates have to provide 10 years of verifiable employment or explain any gaps within that time period.

Recruiting ads now commonly state this 10-year requirement.

Similarly, as Bobbi discovered already, many companies are using background checks to verify when candidates tell them. If the background check reveals she worked for Company X and she does not include it on her application, it will be a red flag.

Bobbi, you should read up on current employment practices as many employers have significantly tightened their screening requirements to cut down on half-truths and out-and-out lies told by prospective employees. Here is an article that addresses your initial question: What Can Employers Say About Former Employees?