Missing resurrection verses

BetheButterfly
The only one that knew she was married out of wedlock was Joseph.

It sounds like Elizabeth and her baby John knew that Mary's pregnancy was unique (I boldened some):

"When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. In a loud voice she exclaimed: “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear! But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy." - Luke 1:41-44 (NIV)

I do think Mary told some people, but of course she didn't go around telling everyone. She understood that not everyone would believe her.

He only accepted it after he was given a direct message from an angel that Mary was pregnant via the Holy Spirit.

Agreed.

BetheButterfly
I always thought it was because the Council of Nicea didn't want it in the Bible for Christians

Understood. I think though that if the Book of Enoch had been accepted into the Tanakh, it would have been accepted by the Council of Nicea. I could be wrong though.

BetheButterfly
Oh! The attitude not so Christian

How?

Jesus Christ didn't encourage his followers to force people to believe in him or insult those who don't believe. Rather, he simply asked his remaining followers if they wanted to leave him too. That's a very important lesson.

Yet there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus had known from the beginning which of them did not believe and who would betray him. He went on to say, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled them.”

From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him.

“You do not want to leave too, do you?” Jesus asked the Twelve.

Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. We have come to believe and to know that you are the Holy One of God.” - John 6:64-69 (NIV)

• Like 1
Understood. I think though that if the Book of Enoch had been accepted into the Tanakh, it would have been accepted by the Council of Nicea. I could be wrong though.

Coptic Christians and Ethiopian Orthodox Church has it in their Bible.

• Like 1
BetheButterfly
Coptic Christians and Ethiopian Orthodox Church has it in their Bible.

Some of my friends are Coptic Christians. They immigrated to the USA from Egypt. They are very sweet and caring people and have offered to teach me Arabic, but Arabic is so hard lol.

I have never asked to see their Bibles but I will. :bunny: I don't know about how the Coptic Church compiled their Bible.

When did the Ethiopian Orthodox Church compile their Bible? I should google it. One of my favorite accounts in Acts is when Phillip talked to the Ethiopian man (Acts 8:26-40). It's so cool how the Holy Spirit instructed Phillip so clearly; obviously God wanted this man to understand the Tanakh (Isaiah in specific).

As for the Book of Enoch, I don't know personally what to think of it. The reason I don't consider it Scripture is because it's not in the Tanakh. I have read it before though; it's interesting.

Some of my friends are Coptic Christians. They immigrated to the USA from Egypt. They are very sweet and caring people and have offered to teach me Arabic, but Arabic is so hard lol.

I have never asked to see their Bibles but I will. :bunny: I don't know about how the Coptic Church compiled their Bible.

When did the Ethiopian Orthodox Church compile their Bible? I should google it. One of my favorite accounts in Acts is when Phillip talked to the Ethiopian man (Acts 8:26-40). It's so cool how the Holy Spirit instructed Phillip so clearly; obviously God wanted this man to understand the Tanakh (Isaiah in specific).

As for the Book of Enoch, I don't know personally what to think of it. The reason I don't consider it Scripture is because it's not in the Tanakh. I have read it before though; it's interesting.

It mentions Noah being albino

I always thought it was because the Council of Nicea didn't want it in the Bible for Christians

I'm not sure that it was ever in the Christian Bible. Of course, the Christian Bible wasn't canonized until the Council of Nicea. As Butterfly mentioned, it wasn't ever considered canonical to Jews that I am aware of. I think it mostly has to do with the subject matter, which talks about Nephilim. I think that the Jews and early Christians might have though it was a little too out there. I'm not really sure though.

I'm not sure that it was ever in the Christian Bible. Of course, the Christian Bible wasn't canonized until the Council of Nicea. As Butterfly mentioned, it wasn't ever considered canonical to Jews that I am aware of. I think it mostly has to do with the subject matter, which talks about Nephilim. I think that the Jews and early Christians might have though it was a little too out there. I'm not really sure though.

Well that's Roman corruption for ya lol

TheFinalWord

Its a bit of an urban Christian myth that the Council of Nicea or Constantine canonized the bible. This is a myth that was popularized by the Da Vinci code. The Nicean council discussed the deity of Christ, due to a heresy that was spreading at the time. The result of the council was the Nicean creed.

Canonization was more gradual and there was never a "vote" of what books to include/not include. There were regional councils that made declarations about the canon, but they affirmed books, they never created or authorized the canon.

Here is a quote by Bart Ehrman, a liberal textual critic of the NT:

The canon of the New Testament was ratified by widespread consensus rather than by official proclamation.

Edited by TheFinalWord
Its a bit of an urban Christian myth that the Council of Nicea or Constantine canonized the bible. This is a myth that was popularized by the Da Vinci code. The Nicean council discussed the deity of Christ, due to a heresy that was spreading at the time. The result of the council was the Nicean creed.

Canonization was more gradual and there was never a "vote" of what books to include/not include. There were regional councils that made declarations about the canon, but they affirmed books, they never created or authorized the canon.

Here is a quote by Bart Ehrman, a liberal textual critic of the NT:

The canon of the New Testament was ratified by widespread consensus rather than by official proclamation.

Do you have any book recommendations on the subject of canonization?

TheFinalWord