Twenty Years Wasted :(

If you're a US veteran, you should take advantage of the VA and get some counseling on your anxiety. You've been through a lot. Give yourself some time, but YES, do take any job you can because even if it sucks it will restore part of your self-esteem. Thanks for your service. You'll get through this.

• Like 1
  • Author

Thank you preraph. I appreciate the kind words about my service. I wish there were a VA hospital within 80 miles of me, but there isn't. And with no transportation of my own, it is hard to get there, but point taken. Thanks again for the well-wishes friend.

First of all, I wish you a speedy recovery. Your health trumps everything and I'm so glad to hear that you seem to be on the road to recovery. You're obviously a very successful-minded man who's loyal and kind that most decent women would give their right arm to share their lives with. I don't know what the actual statistics are but I'm guessing that a high percentage of decent people, such as yourself, end up with lousy, user partners, such as your ex. Since moderators would delete my post, I won't use any of the words that immediately come to mind about your lazy, entitled, self-centered, selfish ex.

Ok, what has happened to you is completely lousy and no one should have to go through that. But get your butt back out there as soon as you're able, and I know you will. In the meantime, form a plan of action in your head, write it down, weigh the possibilities, and send your future ex some arsenic-laced cookies as soon as you get her address. Attach the divorce papers to them.

Remember, maacus, people like you who are gifted enough to make a name for themselves in their careers, to make six figures, can bounce back and do it again. Think of it as a game and I'm guessing you'll win it. I'm sure your sister is more than happy to take care of her dear brother, and your body is begging you to take care of it and to convalesce. You will bounce back and have your financial freedom again.

As far as the 20 yrs you think you wasted, consider it a really long education on what can happen when we allow others to take us for granted, and when we allow rotten people into our lives. You graduated and got your degree now. How likely are you to invite another such person into your life? There are just rotten people in this world and your wife and daughter seem to both be very unimpressive people, if you ask me. Make friends with your divorce attorney, keep your weight off (because that has to feel great), suss out anyone you date in the future, and if you get tricked into another bad marriage, cut out the cancer immediately. Do not pass go and do not collect $200.

Thank you for your service to our country! Hugs and warm wishes.

• Like 1
  • Author

bathtub-row, thank you so much. It does feel like an education of sorts, above and beyond what I learned in college, and even the Army. FWIW, I keep all of these posts, especially the inspirational ones like yours and others before it. It gives me strength to know these things, which really are apparent, but something I just didn't seem to have a true belief in before.

One person that I do hope comes around is my Daughter. She is the victim of brainwashing by my soon to be ex and I would dearly like to have a relationship with her at some point in the future. All will be well with me whatever happens; I am my own man now and am slowly but surely growing into my own.

And although I haven't had a lick of interest in women up to this point, I have begun to feel a twinge of wanting to at least be friends with a woman again, and perhaps date. But I will NEVER, EVER get into a relationship again that is screaming at me from the rafters to RUN LIKE HELL.

I truly TRULY thank you and the others for these inspirational posts. It is a gift that I appreciate more than words can express.

• Like 1
  • Author

bathtub-row, this is perhaps the understatement of the year my friend. And I mean that in a good way.

It's amazing, when I think about it. I mean amazing how much I've learned through this whole ordeal about life, relationships, patience, giving and taking. The list could go on and on.

I suppose my next act after getting my "act" together will be to see if I put these things into practice properly.

If and when I do meet someone who I do want to share my life with will I simply revert to my old self? The one who lacked the self confidence or who felt like they had to be the knight in shining armor rescuing the damsel in distress?

Only time will tell. For now it is enough for me to know that I have the tools and the awareness. It's whether I choose to act on those traits that will be most telling.

I think I will do the right thing this time if it happens.

• Like 1